The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AWD not working properly (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52677)

JACOBBOCAJ 12-27-2009 12:23 PM

AWD not working properly

only front wheels are spinning no rear wheel drive. i figured this out by first getting stuck in mud and only one front tire was spinning and in rain tire breaks loose in the front when downshifting into first or hard acceleration. can hear a constent buzzing when car is on and in drive, which from researching other threads means that solenoid c is working properly. im not getting a power light either. what are other test i can preform to figure this out. and there is no fuse in fwd slot.

SVXRide 12-27-2009 12:44 PM

Re: AWD not working properly

Someone didn't steal your driveshaft, did they? :lol:
Seriously, if you're confident that the solenoid C is good, then the next probable cause is that the clutch pack is shot. Getting to the clutch pack is the same as getting to the solenoid C (remove back of trans - you don't have to remove the entire trans). Have you tried pulling transmission codes?
-Bill
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...Ride/23045.jpg

svxfiles 12-27-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 629004)
Someone didn't steal your driveshaft, did they? :lol:

Don't laugh, Bill.
I've seen it!:mad:
The AWD was borked, so

They left only the front half so that the transmission would not leak ATF!

SVXRide 12-27-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 629005)
Don't laugh, Bill.
I've seen it!:mad:
The AWD was borked, so

They left only the front half so that the transmission would not leak ATF!

OT,
There are evil folks out there! Hey, did you recognize the pic in my post? Took it when you did the solenoid C replacement in the stock trans in Racer X (seems like a long time ago...)
-Bill

svxfiles 12-27-2009 01:18 PM

:rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 629006)
OT,
There are evil folks out there! Hey, did you recognize the pic in my post? Took it when you did the solenoid C replacement in the stock trans in Racer X (seems like a long time ago...)
-Bill

Oh, yea, sure I remember that one time I had an SVX trans apart.:rolleyes:

That picture sure takes me back...

SVXRide 12-27-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 629008)

Oh, yea, sure I remember that one time I had an SVX trans apart.:rolleyes:

That picture sure takes me back...

/sarcasm filter on/

:lol::lol:
-Bill

JACOBBOCAJ 12-27-2009 01:44 PM

lol i wish someone stole it probly be alot similar fix.
there are no codes to pull power light doesnt flash, but it does when its cold because of lack of vaccum on the smallcar shift kit.

From the research ive done i think im just going to replace both while its out. any suggestions on good name brands for the clutch pack and solenoid or just go with dealership parts. do u know where to get any detail info on replacing the clutch pack?

going to the shop right know to look at what it is all going to take and to look it all over for any simple problems.

and i did i trans flush and changed the trans filter about a month or so ago and put mobile1 back in it. dont think i could of done something while pan was off?

SVXRide 12-27-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACOBBOCAJ (Post 629012)
lol i wish someone stole it probly be alot similar fix.
there are no codes to pull power light doesnt flash, but it does when its cold because of lack of vaccum on the smallcar shift kit.

From the research ive done i think im just going to replace both while its out. any suggestions on good name brands for the clutch pack and solenoid or just go with dealership parts. do u know where to get any detail info on replacing the clutch pack?

going to the shop right know to look at what it is all going to take and to look it all over for any simple problems.

and i did i trans flush and changed the trans filter about a month or so ago and put mobile1 back in it. dont think i could of done something while pan was off?

OT can probably help here...I'm not sure how the wires run inside the pan area (i.e., if you could have pinched one)

-Bill

Trevor 12-27-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACOBBOCAJ (Post 629001)
only front wheels are spinning no rear wheel drive. i figured this out by first getting stuck in mud and only one front tire was spinning and in rain tire breaks loose in the front when downshifting into first or hard acceleration. can hear a constent buzzing when car is on and in drive, which from researching other threads means that solenoid c is working properly. im not getting a power light either. what are other test i can preform to figure this out. and there is no fuse in fwd slot.

You advise a constant buzzing from the C solenoid. This can not be taken as a definitive indication that all is OK. If the noise is excessive and unusual, this could indicate a lack of fluid reaching the solenoid valve. Don't throw money at the problem without an initial exact diagnosis.;)

P.S. I note that you have a Small Car shift kit fitted. This will not have been doing solenoid "A" any good and as a result line pressure may be down. In any event this is worth checking as of routine, before rushing into bigger things.

kwren 12-28-2009 11:08 PM

Best place for a Small Car shift kit would be fitted in the trash...

Keith:cool:

Suby Fan 01-04-2010 03:20 PM

Pretty sure the dealership is the only place to get the transfer clutch kit I know even rebuild kits don't come with these clutches. If you messed the wires up when changing the filter then you would see a code... to truly diag this problem you need to pressure test the line that feeds the clutch pack while all 4 wheels are off the ground... but just replacing the clutch pack with no awd and no codes isn't a bad idea... just not the best idea

trophy956 01-04-2010 03:40 PM

hi dont forget the teflon seals when working on the transfer clutches
also inspect the hub and drive housing for knotches worn in to them which makes it hard to have the clutches move ,there is a up dated kit that is in 2 TSBs along with new clutch packs
charlie

trophy956 01-04-2010 07:10 PM

soa plate kit #31523AA170 this number changes to 330 then a 460
retail 176.43

JACOBBOCAJ 01-11-2010 09:51 PM

took to transmission shop turned out being the drum broke? $1200 fix......:( they told me this could be cause be mismatched or bigger wheels. i got 225/40R18. shouldnt be that much of a difference from facory size and should weight less. all matching tires with maybe a couple 1/32nds difference. i dont know about that. my guess it was from shifting the car into 1st with wide open throttle at about 30 mph in the rain and i get alot of wheel hop. always let back out of the gas and maybe happened a few times. hopefully transmission last another 2 years so i can get done with school and go 6-speeed and stop using as daily driver. but this is probably when everyone starts wishing me lots of luck and doubting 2 years out of this slushbox.

trophy956 01-12-2010 04:06 PM

tires should be the same size and tread ,if your off more then 1/2 in rolling size it will effect your all wheel drive system ,just because a tire says 225/50 r16 different manufactures can be 2 1/2 different in rolling size