The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ceramic, kevlar, ceramic & kevlar brake pads (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27901)

ssnsltd 08-15-2005 03:11 PM

ceramic, kevlar, ceramic & kevlar brake pads

I am seeing several Brake pad sets for sale these days in:
-Ceramic
-Kevlar
-Ceramic & Kevlar combo

Anyone have any experience (street, I have found some racing reviews) with them ?

AFBeefcake 08-15-2005 04:40 PM

What about Carbon Fiber brake pads.
I have a set from KVR, the same ones motorsport sells, there great.
Some times they squeak a little, but not that offen.

ssnsltd 08-15-2005 05:37 PM

had not been looking at those. Guess I will check them as well, thanks.

svxcess 08-15-2005 10:16 PM

I just installed a set of the Akebino ProACT ceramic pads on my 96LSi about a year ago.

Initial impression is they do not stop as well as I expected when cold for the first couple of stops. Once they warmed up, they are extremely responsive and stop the car much faster than the OEM pad,s with no fade whatsoever after repeated high speed stops. In fact the hotter the pads became, the grippier they got.They never squealed once from the moment they were installed. They are supposed to be ultra low dusting and, because they are not semi-metallic and asbestos-free, any dust is very light in color.

To my delight i find that I have NO brake dust at all. I repeat... NO BRAKE DUST!

At that time I had only done the front pads and have the light silver stock wheels. Even after not being able to wash my car for a couple of weeks, my rear wheels get dirtier than my front ones.

When I talked to the vehicle testing division at Akebono they said the pads were ready to use right out of the box and no break-in or embedding procedures were necessary.

Akebono's part number for our car is the ACT333. They go for 67.00 a set from Tire rack for the fronts and come with the shims, lubricant, etc.

For more information, go here:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...T+Ceramic+Pads

NikFu S. 08-15-2005 10:39 PM

My CF pads have been great.

I heard, though, somewhere that ceramic pads may actually wear out or into your rotors because they are so hard.

I could also be quite mistaken however as my source is the internet and my degrading memory of it.

ssnsltd 08-16-2005 06:21 AM

I appreciate the info guys.

I jumped on the Titanium pads when they came out for my jeep.
A "lifetime" set cost me a set of rotors, new pads and a day at the craft shop. I am not so eager to try the next best thing in brakes

Budfreak 08-16-2005 12:15 PM

i'm using lomandi kevlar/semi-metallic pads i got off of ebay a few months ago. i also have the drilled/slotted rotors and this thing will try to throw you threw the windshield in a panic stop!:) they make just a little roar under hard braking (i think it's the rotors that cause this) but other than that there completely silent. i recommend them:)

NikFu S. 08-16-2005 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssnsltd
I appreciate the info guys.

I jumped on the Titanium pads when they came out for my jeep.
A "lifetime" set cost me a set of rotors, new pads and a day at the craft shop. I am not so eager to try the next best thing in brakes

I bet if you had titanium rotors those would be great. :D

ssnsltd 08-16-2005 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
I bet if you had titanium rotors those would be great. :D

only if I had the money to pay for the windshields my head would go through each time I hit the brakes :) . . .

NikFu S. 08-16-2005 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssnsltd
only if I had the money to pay for the windshields my head would go through each time I hit the brakes :) . . .

Save some dime on a titanium windsheild and helmet, and you'll be good.

Myetball 08-16-2005 11:20 PM

I swapped out a set of Axxis metal masters for carbon metalic on the front. Performance is similar to that of the ceramics described earlier. Almost no brakes for the first couple of stops...the hotter the better. I've learned to drag the brakes a bit first thing in the morning. Minimul brake dust, nothing like standard pads but more than ceramic.