The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   4.11 Swap issues... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41807)

Michael Blue 11-11-2007 06:21 PM

4.11 Swap issues...

Hey there, me again.

Someone already posted a "last chance for my SVX" thread, so I won't steal his title, but this cat is plumb out of lives.

OK, so I had a 4.44 auto swap done this year (yeah the title's wrong) and I noticed it was leaking red fluid on my garage floor - assumed it was trans fluid so I bought some fluid and a funnel and waited a bit to check the level. This last week it started misbehaving (not wanting to shift from low gears) so tonight I pulled her inside, washed her all up and set about checking the trans fluid.

OK, this is the dipstick low by the firewall on the driver's side, right? Because it reads just over HOT full when COLD.

-pause for effect-

Yeah...So I'm thinking I'm pretty screwed here. Any suggestions at all that don't involve crushers?

Please help...

Thanks!

94SubieSVX 11-11-2007 09:27 PM

Did you put too much tranny fluid in it? I guess that might effect it.

jeffast 11-11-2007 10:56 PM

I WOULD REMOVE THE EXCESS TRANSMISSION FLUID.
i have heard that you can damage the transmission from over filling drain soem fluid and go from there

redlightningsvx 11-11-2007 11:07 PM

IMEDIATLY remove some tranny fluid as the others have said. the red fluid could be either power steering or tranny fluid check both of these and all hoses connecting to them

Michael Blue 11-12-2007 04:07 PM

I haven't touched the fluid since the swap was done earlier this year, Jason "BudFreak" did the swap and is who filled the trans. I will try to siphon some out.

That said; could being too full cause this problem, and why would it only show up now? Would colder weather cause this issue to be more pronounced?

Thanks!

Hocrest 11-12-2007 04:20 PM

Just to check;

Was the car level?
Did you cycle through all the gears?
Was it running?

Try it again after driving for 10-15 minutes to warm the fluid.

Michael Blue 11-12-2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 508305)
Was the car level?

As close as it can be without checking with a level. :)

Quote:

Did you cycle through all the gears?

Please elaborate.

Quote:

Was it running?

It has been driven over 1,000 miles since the swap, but as stated, was cold when the level was checked.

Quote:

Try it again after driving for 10-15 minutes to warm the fluid.

Will do.

Hocrest 11-13-2007 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Blue (Post 508412)
Please elaborate.

Before checking, with your foot on the brake move the selector through all the gears, pausing for about a second in each one. Then return it to Park and check the fluid while the engine is still running.

Michael Blue 11-13-2007 04:31 PM

I'll try that tomorrow.

Also, today I noticed that it doesn't seem to want to disengage the drive when you're on the brakes - like you're fighting the car when braking at slow speeds.

I'd guess this was part of the "performance modifications" done during the swap (never got a complete list of what all was done unfortunately) but I don't know for sure.

Could this be relevant?

Thanks!

Michael Blue 11-14-2007 05:47 AM

Just wanted to note; this morning, barely 50*F and rather humid, the car ran the best it ever has since the day I bought it. Could be the MAF TomsSVX sent me, could be the weather, could be any combination of things. I won't be able to drive it in normal conditions until Thursday at the earliest - more then.

:)