The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Keyless Remote Entry (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2107)

modeler 11-30-2001 02:17 PM

Keyless Remote Entry

My keyless remote seems to need a new battery, as it is completely dead.
Guy at my local Subaru dealership said remote contains
~6 individual batteries and I would be better off buying a new remote for ~$70
rather than replacing batteries. Anyone know if there is a better (i.e., cheaper)
way to go? Thanks.

wawazat?? 11-30-2001 02:36 PM

Better alternative is Radio Shack!

Buy a replacement battery (not batteries their). They sell a single cell 9V used for remote transmitters that fits perfectly and costs about $3.50 for two. Just replaced mine last week. I'll get you a part number later this evening.

Aredubjay 11-30-2001 02:38 PM

Re: Better alternative is Radio Shack!

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??
Buy a replacement battery (not batteries their). They sell a single cell 9V used for remote transmitters that fits perfectly and costs about $3.50 for two. Just replaced mine last week. I'll get you a part number later this evening.
The battery is a GP27A or equivalent.

I know. You're asking yourself, "if it normally takes that many button batteries that cost as much as the remote, how in the world could a single battery (that looks similar to a AAA cell) do the job?" I asked myself the same question, and was skeptical. I've had two remotes, for over two years. Both equipped with GP27A's and both are still going strong.

After all, isn't our wealth of knowledge the reason you joined us here in the first place. :D

Aredubjay 11-30-2001 02:47 PM

Re: Re: Better alternative is Radio Shack!

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

I know. You're asking yourself, "if it normally takes that many button batteries that cost as much as the remote, how in the world could a single battery (that looks similar to a AAA cell) do the job?" I asked myself the same question, and was skeptical. I've had two remotes, for over two years. Both equipped with GP27A's and both are still going strong.

After all, isn't our wealth of knowledge the reason you joined us here in the first place. :D

Here's the Radio Shack part number from another thread --- Compliments of "sith."

"Hey - dunno if somebody already posted this, but theres no need to get the OEM size batteries for the remote FOB, just pick up radio shack part number #23-279 - about $2 for 2 batteries, fits and works fine. Any local Rs should carry it, or just get it through their website."

wawazat?? 11-30-2001 02:48 PM

Re: Re: Better alternative is Radio Shack!

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

I see your knowledge of all things electrical is somewhat, shall we say, lacking;) It's a voltage thing my friend.

Aredubjay 11-30-2001 02:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Better alternative is Radio Shack!

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??

I see your knowledge of all things electrical is somewhat, shall we say, lacking;) It's a voltage thing my friend.

No, I realize the "voltage" thing. :p It's just one of those OE vs A/M things. I have to analyze using anything that doesn't "look" OE in place of OE. I'm just frikin' quirky that way. :D

modeler 11-30-2001 03:14 PM

Re:Keyless Remote Entry

Hey thanks for the collective info...I'm on my way to Radio Shack!
Just joined this group & its paying dividends already!

oneothefewproud 11-30-2001 03:23 PM

doesn't "look" OE in place of OE

Guys,

And this from the Man who claims to have a complete STOCK svx. Randy, I have a huge grin on my face while typing this. hahahahahahaha

Better add that to the list of "Modifications" there Randy,

Ciao
Wayne

Aredubjay 11-30-2001 03:35 PM

Re: doesn't "look" OE in place of OE

Quote:

Originally posted by oneothefewproud
Guys,

And this from the Man who claims to have a complete STOCK svx. Randy, I have a huge grin on my face while typing this. hahahahahahaha

Better add that to the list of "Modifications" there Randy,

Ciao
Wayne

AAARRRRGGGHHH!!! I've been found out!!! :D

(Secret #2: I used Radio Shack lamps to replace some of my dash panel lights -- BUT, I used the OE bases. :D )