The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HELP can't get key out (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58578)

Conn SVX 10-28-2011 11:23 AM

HELP can't get key out

My car was converted to a 5 speed. I turned off the ignition switch and now it will not got to lock so i can't get the key out. what controls the tranny to tell it it is park. My car acts like the auto Tranny is in Driver or N. Got to be a lever someplace that has moved . Where is it ?

AFBeefcake 10-28-2011 12:15 PM

Re: HELP can't get key out

Check the white 4 pin connector to the left of the shifter, under the shifter trim. There should be a connector plugged into it with two of the wires connected together.

Also try tuning the steering wheel a little. Some times if the wheel is in just the right spot you cant get the key out.

SVX92-97 10-28-2011 12:52 PM

John, did your car come with a converted owners manual:lol:

Conn SVX 10-28-2011 01:01 PM

No but I have something better.
OK I see the plug , it is empty . 4 wires BRN/ W---Solid black Blu/w and a nother solid black . I drove the car 30 miles like this so i don't thoink it is the wheel

RojoRocket 10-28-2011 01:12 PM

Looks like pins 3 & 4, Blue/White and Black, complete the circuit. That's the Park position switch.
FSM 6-3 page 24.

Glenn

Conn SVX 10-28-2011 02:01 PM

I just tried to jump it and still nothing . I wish I had the old plug. Must have fallen out .

SVX92-97 10-28-2011 02:13 PM

Ah, the life of an automatic;)

Conn SVX 10-28-2011 02:16 PM

The instructions said connect the 2 end wires . the wires are in order left to right Brown with black , then a black , then the Blue with white stripe , and finally a black . One set is the Park lock the other is the key lock . There is nothing in the plug now. how much draw is there in the ac position.

Hocrest 10-28-2011 02:57 PM

None if you disconnect the neg terminal on the Battery.

There is also a manual key release tab on the steering column. Under the column there are some holes, inside one of them is a small brass colored tab. Push that up or to the side and you should be able to get your key out.

It is not very obvious, you may need to lay down and look up for the first time untill you learn where it is.

Conn SVX 10-28-2011 03:32 PM

I don't have that little button .

Hocrest 10-28-2011 03:40 PM

I just ran out to look at mine.

It is down at the base, right next to the lever to adjust the height. Not the height release on the side, but the height adjustment on the bottom center.

The metal tab is in a white plastic block, you can sort of see the spring holding it, you need to slide the tab towards the height adjustment button.

Once pressed, you still need to push the key in to turn it back.

Conn SVX 10-28-2011 03:46 PM

Fixed !!!! P Not answered on this forum