The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Please confirm (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50473)

gbianchi 06-02-2009 09:29 PM

Please confirm

Our stock SVX rear diff is unique to itself, so if its toast you need another SVX rear diff to replace it?? Are there repair parts for sale if you wanted to go that route? Sorry if this has been covered already I may just have a problem in this area and am wondering what the options are, thanks..............G

newkid17 06-02-2009 09:40 PM

Re: Please confirm

yes our rear diff. is 3.545 gear ratio with a visicious LSD in it. you would need one out of an SVX. or you could do the 4.11 or 4.44 swap in it, meaning changing the front and rear diffs. to that ratio.
do you know what is wrong with your rear diff.?

gbianchi 06-03-2009 08:38 AM

Not at the present, all I know is there is alot of noise coming from the rear ofthe car. I have read about wheel bearing trouble alot, is there a good way to tell what is making all the racket. Yesterday after a drive the rear diff was warm and the wheel hubs were not??? Thanks for the reply....G

NiftySVX 06-03-2009 11:59 AM

The rear diff should be a little warm to the touch due to the shearing of the fluid which creates some heat. I would get the car off the wheels and get all 4 rolling at 20 or so, then you can usually hear the noise of the bearing if you put your head near the wheel(s)

svxpert 06-03-2009 06:00 PM

chances are, unless you have no gear lube in the rear diff, your diff is fine. havent heard of one going out before.

gbianchi 06-04-2009 05:42 PM

Thanks again guys, have checked gear oil and was/is fine I am hoping its not the diff, it would be a 1st in my 35yrs of car ownership, do SVX wheel bearing start growling at low speeds and get somewhat quieter at hyway speeds? I appreciate any and all info on this topic and hopefully it can help someone else also........G

NiftySVX 06-04-2009 08:57 PM

It is hard to describe what a bearing failure sounds like because sometimes they are loudest at 40 mph and quieter at 70 or sometimes they make a slight noise at 10 and are deafening at highway speeds. The only time I have personally seen a diff go bad on a subaru is because the seals failed and it leaked the oil out, so if it was still full you're probably ok.

gbianchi 06-05-2009 07:13 PM

Thanks again, for the info I'll figure it out in time...............G

dennyo 06-05-2009 07:58 PM

my own experience with rear bearings is, at lower speeds it sounds louder, and make less noise at higher speeds.by the time i got around to changing mine it sounded like a helicopter was following me around town:eek:

gbianchi 06-05-2009 08:34 PM

O K sounds about right, I have only had a really bad bearing once.........long ago 78sube wagon it fell apart after removal, the bearing not the car !!!?thanks..........G