The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   MOD Mania (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   An inexpensive way to slightly lower an SVX? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8069)

mbtoloczko 01-09-2003 02:10 PM

An inexpensive way to slightly lower an SVX?

The idea of slightly lowering my SVX has been rolling around in my head for the last month or so. I wouldl like to lower the car by only about 1/2". What do you all think about drilling holes about 1/2" higher for the strut-to-knuckle mounting holes in the struts?

LarryIII 01-09-2003 02:34 PM

How about letting 7 psig out of the tires all around.
Of course you must drive slower.

:D :D :D

kuoh 01-09-2003 03:17 PM

Check out the budget lowering kit from kalecoauto

"Some people spend hundreds - even thousands merely to lower their car! Some people even cut their springs - that is the wrong way to lower a car! Why bother with different bolt sizes and components, when KaleCo's do-it-yourself lowering kit is a mere four piece kit! Installs in minutes, just insert one per tire and you'll be the envy of every lowrider in town! And best of all, it's only pennies on the dollar! Not compatible with run-flat tires. "

;)

KuoH

elninoalex 01-09-2003 10:38 PM

Is there room...

for the holes? The holes are about a half inch so they would basically have to go right on top of each other. It might weaken the metal there and may over stress on a pothole or something. You might be better off going around 3/4" so you have a little more metal between the new holes and the old holes. I hope this helps a little.

Stephen

svxboy 01-09-2003 11:49 PM

lowering

The best way to cheaply lower your car is to use spring clamps. Two bolt on to each coil and they clamp them down a little. After I installed my stereo in the trunk, the rear end sat a tad bit lower than the front, so I clamped the front springs and presto, car is level and about an inch lower.
-Greg

solarsvx 01-10-2003 08:46 AM

the easiest for me was to cut 1 full coil of fthe frount springs and lowered almost 1" maybe .75 i couldnt tell .

any local shop can do this, and did not afect the ride at all

double0bondo 01-10-2003 09:34 AM

yes

solarsvx is right, ive done it on a few different cars... CUT A COIL!!

elninoalex 01-10-2003 10:10 AM

I cut a full coil off of the bottom of my fronts and they were squeaking against the perch. It didn't affect the ride at all, but it drove me crazy. At the time, I was having other suspension issues which may have contributed to the sound. So I put my other set back on. If you want to try this method, let me know and I can ship you my cut front springs to try free of charge. That way you don't have to chop yours and maybe find out later that you won't like it. Maybe you can get them to hush up better than I did.

Stephen

mbtoloczko 01-10-2003 10:40 AM

squeak...

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to handle any sort of squeak. Thanks for the offer to try out the cut coil springs. I'll keep it in mind.

svxfiles 01-10-2003 01:16 PM

lowering an svx

if you put a shorter tire on your car not only do you lower it, but it will olso help our too tall gearing.
today im going to install 215/40/16s instead of my 92s stock 225/50/16s.this will drop my car 1.05 inches and change my effective final drive ratio from 3.55 to 1, to 3.87(8414) to 1
on the pavement its only .4 less wide than my stock tires, and only .1 inch less wide than a 215/55/16 that some svx's had.
the down side is that my spedo will be off 9.2511, and ill rack up miles faster.

ps. i just bought a 96 svx in black with tan leather.

mbtoloczko 01-10-2003 01:40 PM

Rather than cut out a loop from the coils, has anyone tried flattening out one loop by spot heating the coil with a welding torch while the coil is under load?

1994SubaruSVX 01-10-2003 02:58 PM

buying smaller tires worsens the problem.

the reason i lowered my car is because i wanted to eliminate the gap in the wheel well between the top of the tire and the fender well. i lowered mine two inches and it is perfect.

CigarJohnny 01-12-2003 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Rather than cut out a loop from the coils, has anyone tried flattening out one loop by spot heating the coil with a welding torch while the coil is under load?
That sounds like a much better method than just cutting them. I'm curious too.

huck369 01-12-2003 10:23 AM

The only problem with spot heating a coil is that the heat will weaken the spring metal to take the tension out of it, and won't let it function as well as it is supposed to.

It'll work... but isn't the best way, but is one of the easiest and cheapest routes to take.

mbtoloczko 01-12-2003 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by huck369
The only problem with spot heating a coil is that the heat will weaken the spring metal to take the tension out of it, and won't let it function as well as it is supposed to.

It'll work... but isn't the best way, but is one of the easiest and cheapest routes to take.

Yeah, I thought it might alter the mech props of the spring. Does sound easy though! :-)