The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help! My SVX is stranded. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56935)

BRADY 04-02-2011 09:56 AM

Help! My SVX is stranded.

Hi all.

After working my first night as a DJ, I get out the the SVX and she won't start. I suspect the fuel pump, as I can't hear it whirring during the ignition sequence. My SVX is now sitting in a car-park, refusing to start.:barf:

Should I get it towed to a nearby mechanic? Is the fuel pump a big job and does the SVX require an SVX specific pump?

Times like these really TEST my dedication to this rare car. :eek:

P.S. I am not mechanically minded - unfortunately.

Mike
(Car is stranded in Warner's Bay.)

Subix 04-02-2011 10:16 AM

Re: Help! My SVX is stranded.

Try resetting the system by pulling the battery terminals and connecting it back up again? Security system on it? Faulty/malfunctioning one might keep it from starting but it's only a thought? Best of luck to you...

Gamesy 04-02-2011 10:23 AM

check your under dash fuses especislly the EG/ign fuse, it happened to me

1986nate 04-02-2011 10:23 AM

If it happens to be the fuel pump, it's not too tough of an endeavor. Also I'm pretty sure all the subaru pumps are the same from that era. Having the access hole behind the rear seat makes it easy to get to.

BRADY 04-02-2011 10:38 AM

Thanks so much for the quick response, my friends. It means so much to be a part of this forum!!

I will get back to the SVX tomorrow, check the fuses and if that isn't it, I shall get a fuel pump from a local Subaru dealer.

Subix - my model does not have any security, except for the mid-nineties aftermarket crap the previous owner installed.

It has fuel, plenty of battery and the starter motor is working. Looking back at the past two weeks, I believe the SVX was giving me signals. It took a while to start last Monday (longer than usual) and also hesitated briefly as I began my drive tonight.

Mike

oab_au 04-02-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRADY (Post 672795)
Hi all.

After working my first night as a DJ, I get out the the SVX and she won't start. I suspect the fuel pump, as I can't hear it whirring during the ignition sequence. My SVX is now sitting in a car-park, refusing to start.:barf:

Should I get it towed to a nearby mechanic? Is the fuel pump a big job and does the SVX require an SVX specific pump?

Times like these really TEST my dedication to this rare car. :eek:

P.S. I am not mechanically minded - unfortunately.

Mike
(Car is stranded in Warner's Bay.)

Mike you can check if it is the pump
The two wires that go to the pump, the blue is power supplied by the relay. Yellow is the ground wire that goes to the modulator, to be grounded through a resistor for low pump or direct to ground for high pump.
If the pump turns on for a few seconds, when you turn the key on, then the relay and pump are working OK.

To check if the pumps ground is connected, put a ground on the Yellow wire. Take a length of wire, stick one end in the Yellow connector, so that it is connected to the yellow wire, ground the other end, turn the Ign on, see if the pump will run.

Harvey.

Gamesy 04-02-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 672873)
Mike you can check if it is the pump
The two wires that go to the pump, the blue is power supplied by the relay. Yellow is the ground wire that goes to the modulator, to be grounded through a resistor for low pump or direct to ground for high pump.
If the pump turns on for a few seconds, when you turn the key on, then the relay and pump are working OK.

To check if the pumps ground is connected, put a ground on the Yellow wire. Take a length of wire, stick one end in the Yellow connector, so that it is connected to the yellow wire, ground the other end, turn the Ign on, see if the pump will run.

Harvey.

what he said

Subix 04-03-2011 01:01 AM

How much fuel? While not an SVX, my buddies car recently had starting issues and it sat in his driveway for almost a full month because he couldn't figure it out. Turns out after adding 2 gallons, it started right up... and hasn't had a problem since. I know he was low on gas, he knows he was low.. but apparently something was goofy with the gauge.

Had another friend replace a fuel pump on his car, same issue.. didn't have enough gas. Of course, we laugh about it later. Needless to say this probably isn't your case but just saying, if it is 'rather low', you're gonna add gas anyways so worth a shot? Then again, you did mention the lack of whirring noise....

BRADY 04-03-2011 01:02 AM

Soooo, the fuel pump is under the back seat? Remove rear cushion?

Mike

JDW-SVX 04-03-2011 01:51 AM

My guess would be a bad or melted connection between the fuel pump electrical connector and the plug at the end of the wiring loom.

As the fuel pump ages, it must start drawing more current, and if the connection with the wiring loom is bad, it would start to heat up and eventually damage the connector at the pump.

Yes - you can access the pump by removing the rear seat cushion - the electrical connector is right on top of the access panel.

Jason.

BRADY 04-03-2011 02:19 AM

Thanks again.

I drove back to where the SVX is this afternoon and performed various 'things'...

I tried banging on the fuel tank from underneath. NO DICE.

I took the back seat cushion out and banged on the top of the fuel tank. NO DICE.

My cousin is a mechanic and is trying to get me a fuel pump (he isn't available to look at my SVX). He said there are TWO sizes. A 34 Millimetre (approx) and a 54 mm (again, I can't remember exact sizes.)

What size does the Australian SVX take? The larger pump is actually cheaper.

Subix - my SVX is just above empty. I should really try putting some more fuel in. I will have to use a jerry can!

What is really worrying me is that my drivers window has a broken sleeve lock regulator I have not had time to fix and a cunning thief only has to 'slide' my window down to gain access. At least it won't start! The suburb it is in is pretty nice, fortunately.

BRADY 04-03-2011 04:42 AM

Can anyone help me with the PART NUMBER and a brief description for the SVX fuel pump. I am going to buy one tomorrow and need to get the right part at the right price!

I will get a mobile mechanic to fit it.

That is the plan anyway.

Thanks.

icingdeath88 04-03-2011 10:32 AM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...3&d=1270963401

Shows fuel pump part numbers. US part numbers, but maybe it's the same?

ensteele 04-03-2011 11:55 AM

There is a picture and short How-To in the Documents. Good Luck. :)

BRADY 04-04-2011 02:55 AM

Thanks all.

I will let you know how it all turns out.

I got the part number. Subaru Australia want $1,300. That's $1,344 in your weak US dollar!! :D

I believe I can get it through Repco between $150 to $350. That is more acceptable.