The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SVX Interior weight (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45805)

Mensaf 08-12-2008 11:24 AM

SVX Interior weight

Does anyone have a breakdown of what different things in the interior weigh? Just curious.

Crazy_pilot 08-12-2008 12:15 PM

Re: SVX Interior weight

I had a lot of my car's interior out over the weekend (rear seats, sides, shelf, and door panels). Nothing weighs a whole lot. I would say not much more than 50-60 lbs between all those pieces.

mysvxrocks 08-12-2008 12:34 PM

I know the front seats are kinda heavy. If the drivers seat is power its even more. Those prolly weigh the most out of anything in our interior, well, minus the dash.

benebob 08-12-2008 12:47 PM

Here's my best guess based on removing it all.
All Seats 75-100ish
Carpet 5
quiet steel plastic crap under the carpet 5
door panels 5
rear panel 7
sunroof 10
complete dash 10-15
crash bar behind the dash 20
bolts 10
rest minus computers and wiring 15-20

Mensaf 08-12-2008 03:15 PM

The door panels and dash definitley weigh something, and the front seats are ridiculously heavy. 3525 for the car is pretty heavy. I'm really really thinking about selling my 240Z and start with some serious modifications on the SVX, and I usually always start with stripping and stitch welding a car. Not for nothing, but I think a guy in a fast SVX would be a bit more memorable than a guy in a 240Z.

SVXMAN2001 08-12-2008 03:36 PM

The svx's weight lie mainly in the frame structure itself and the corresponding steel mechanical components used throughout. To really save weight you would have to look at having these pieces custom made in a much lighter weight material. Dismantling the svx to a shell of its former self, will only net you negligible gains with significant discomfort...

Mensaf 08-12-2008 04:01 PM

I'm expecting having to have to grind down a few things, and as far as comfort goes :lol: Have you ever been in a 240Z or AE86 Corolla hatchback? There is no such thing.

The idea isn't to take it down to the bare minimum for the meantime, but remove the simple things. Weight reduction is the best thing you can do to any car, since all the attributes gain from it. Eventually getting a real drivetrain and a decently built motor will have to come into play, of course. I used to own a '93 3000gt vr-4, which weighs in at a whopping 3950lbs, without driver. I eventually got mine down to the 3500lb range, and everything was better than anyone else who was making the same power (almost 450whp) as me. Turning and braking benifited the most. With that kind of weight reduction, it still weighed more than a stock SVX, so coming from there, you can see the appeal.

LetItSnow 08-15-2008 09:48 AM

Rear seat belts, minus their retaining bolts (to keep those holes closed) - 5 lbs.

It's not much, but it's a SM legal mod, and I wouldn't put my worst enemy back there, anyway!

lhopp77 08-15-2008 01:02 PM

Don't forget to take out all the radio/sound related equipment if you are really serious about saving weight. :rolleyes:

Lee

Mensaf 08-15-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 560201)
Don't forget to take out all the radio/sound related equipment if you are really serious about saving weight. :rolleyes:

Lee

lol @ radio. Aluminum dash to just hold the guages. :tongue: I just want numbers is all. The Z will be around the 600hp range within the year, it'd be nice to get the SVX within the same range too when the Z is the DD.

YourConfused 08-15-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar (Post 560203)
lol @ radio. Aluminum dash to just hold the guages. :tongue: I just want numbers is all. The Z will be around the 600hp range within the year, it'd be nice to get the SVX within the same range too when the Z is the DD.

Got my 73 in the 2150 range. It can out perform my modded SVX any day, and still ride smooth. Both are a money pit though. Just gotta love cars is all.

benebob 08-15-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar (Post 560203)

Dash is actually light as can be esp once you delete things you don't need off of it. You won't find any aftermarket gauge set that weighs less than the stock plastic set.

Mensaf 08-15-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 560207)
Got my 73 in the 2150 range. It can out perform my modded SVX any day, and still ride smooth. Both are a money pit though. Just gotta love cars is all.

That's pretty badass man. Are you still using a L-series setup? I know that most of the SR guys get there after their swap.