The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wheel Bearings replaced but still some noise?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33772)

cookiemunstr 06-20-2006 09:37 AM

Wheel Bearings replaced but still some noise??

Hello All,
I jsut got my rear wheel bearings replaced (:D i can now remove the ear plugs:rolleyes: ), both sides just over $420. Good price i thaught. Anyways . . . there is still a noise comming from the rear, not very loud but you can hear it a lower speeds like driving around town. Any Ideas what it could be?? As well my ABS light is now on and my breakes vear hard right when i slam on the breaks. Did the mechanics do something to my ABS (well probably yes, but anyone have this before?)

Thanks all in advance

msvx95 06-20-2006 09:46 AM

I'd say put the FWD fuse in and see if the noise goes away...Is it binding/vibrating in the back? anything noticeable while turning??

cookiemunstr 06-20-2006 10:00 AM

Slight vibration from the rear, i think but pretty sure. No unknown noises when turning (front cv shafts have to be replaced) You think something is up with my rear diff or something??

Thanks

msvx95 06-20-2006 10:19 AM

transfer clutches binding...they are in the transmission, but from what I've read, the vibration comes from the rear. Could be a rear diff is low on fluied too... My vehicle is in for service on this problem...and they've told me my strut mounts were bad, ball joints loose, etc...They think my suspension is causing my trouble, but I really think it's in the driveline.

cookiemunstr 06-20-2006 10:30 AM

are there any other indications of this being the issue. The transmision isn't new, it was one we found and put it in. We are also having from random shifting issues, and the the othen doesn't like to stay in overdrive. Could this be a sign?? My dad also found something about a vibration on some other thread, something about the drive shaft and the u-joints or something?? Not sure.

msvx95 06-20-2006 11:31 AM

Could possibly be a bad u-joint or unbalanced shaft too....I'm not a tranny guru....You could do a search under driveline, binding, rear noise...or something of that nature...plenty of reading material, but I cannot answer this question.
Perhaps someone will chime in.

Suby Fan 06-20-2006 11:53 AM

i would take it back to the shop and have them dianose the abs issuse when the new bearing are pressed there is alot of ABS stuff to watch out for and not break... it sounds like they broke something

Earthworm 06-20-2006 12:08 PM

When I had a bearing replaced in mine they told me that the ABS tone wheel was cracked and would break if they changed the bearing. It's possible they broke yours.

cookiemunstr 06-20-2006 12:17 PM

Great . . . . :( well we figured they broke something but it sounds like they might have broke something major. So to fix that i'm guess it would need a new hub?? Could it be something simeple like they didn't re attach a wire or something?? We will be in contact with them soon, and the rear noise we will ask them as well. I just don't want to damage anything else.

Thanks

cookiemunstr 06-20-2006 12:19 PM

Wait a sec, would that broken ABS tone wheel cause a noise in the rear??

Earthworm 06-20-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookiemunstr
Wait a sec, would that broken ABS tone wheel cause a noise in the rear??

It might. I suppose if a piece is missing it might vibrate.

It could also be the ABS sensor was not reinstalled properly.

cookiemunstr 06-20-2006 01:53 PM

ok thanks i will be talking with the mechanic soon

stallion 06-20-2006 03:50 PM

Hows the tread on your tires? Mine was pretty bald and I had thought the noise was from bearings... once I got a fresh set of rubber it was just fine.

SVXRide 06-20-2006 03:54 PM

Same thought here...with the bearing noise gone, you might just be hearing tire noise now
-Bill

immortal_suby 06-20-2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
Same thought here...with the bearing noise gone, you might just be hearing tire noise now
-Bill

Yes - could be tire noise - does the noise change when the pavement type changes?