The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   FWD about little car in dash.......kinda scared....... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20511)

odepaj 08-07-2004 11:34 PM

FWD about little car in dash.......kinda scared.......

so yeah, i picked up my car today and there is FWD over the little picture of the car in the dash, i dont know if that means its in front wheel drive or what........kinda freaking me out, what is it?

DWAYN 08-08-2004 12:57 AM

FWD LIGHT

TRY REMOVING THE FUSE OUT UNDER THE HOOD THAT PUTS YOUR AWD CAR INTO FWD.
I BELIEVE THE LIGHT SHOULD GO OUT ONCE YOU ARE IN AWD AGAIN.
THANKS DWAYN

wawazat?? 08-08-2004 05:37 AM

Dwayn

Can you please take the caps lock off when you type?

Thanks,
Todd

Chiketkd 08-08-2004 08:50 PM

Re: FWD about little car in dash.......kinda scared.......

Yeah, that light only comes on when the fwd fuse is engaged. It is a little strange that the former owner engaged it though... :confused:

Either the car was towed, or something was awry with the awd system...

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by odepaj
so yeah, i picked up my car today and there is FWD over the little picture of the car in the dash, i dont know if that means its in front wheel drive or what........kinda freaking me out, what is it?

Bizarre 08-09-2004 11:20 AM

Are there any adverse affects from leaving the fuse in and driving in FWD mode for a long period of time?

Might be a fair weather fuel saver.
Or a plain bad idea... just curious.

Sonar 08-09-2004 11:26 AM

"bad idea" sounds fine to me :D

/Sonny :cool:

Chiketkd 08-09-2004 11:26 AM

None that I know of. Some members have driven with the fuse in place for over 1 year...

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by Bizarre
Are there any adverse affects from leaving the fuse in and driving in FWD mode for a long period of time?

odepaj 08-09-2004 12:54 PM

well i took out the fuse and nothing seems wrong with the AWD, no noises, no weird behavior, i think it was there just to save on gas.....atleast thats what im hoping. i love the feeling of AWDing around a corner :cool: :D

Chiketkd 08-09-2004 01:14 PM

That's awesome! Glad everything is running great... :)

-Chike
Quote:

well i took out the fuse and nothing seems wrong with the AWD, no noises, no weird behavior, i think it was there just to save on gas.....atleast thats what im hoping. i love the feeling of AWDing around a corner :cool: :D

SVXRide 08-09-2004 08:57 PM

Quote:

You might want to put the car up on a lift and see if the rear wheels are actually turning with the car in gear...the previous owner may have put the fuse in because the Solenoid C went out or the transfer case had other "issues"
-Bill

Earthworm 08-09-2004 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
...the previous owner may have put the fuse in because the Solenoid C went out or the transfer case had other "issues"

Exactly. Usually reasons for using the fuse are with AWD binding or locking into 50/50 mode.

This becomes obvious during slow tight turns.