The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The failed transmission poll (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55863)

Huskymaniac 11-03-2010 04:48 PM

The failed transmission poll

Not sure if this was ever done or if I will do it right but I will give it a shot. The idea here is to get an idea of the rate of failures for different model year cars under various conditions.

Coan 11-03-2010 05:37 PM

Re: The failed transmission poll

Good idea.

How about those of us who have the original tranny, never failed, but are starting to suspect a failure in the not-so-distant future? :lol: It's not for certain yet, but my car is having... symptoms...

Subie59 11-03-2010 09:32 PM

Mine is a 1994 with 187,000 kms and the tranny is just starting to slip between 1st and 2nd. I'm hopin it's a solenoid problem but have not checked it out yet.

1986nate 11-03-2010 09:47 PM

holy poll options batman!:eek:

1986nate 11-03-2010 09:55 PM

92 silver-original failed 60-70k
Subaru reman failed at 103k
92 NJ claret-don't know when original failed
bought with failed subaru reman with 118k
94 laguna FWD-original trans good, failed diff with 93k-was abused for 2 months by stupid kid
94 pearlie fwd-160k original trans as far as i know
92 FL claret- 143k-probably subaru reman or other rebuild
92 ebony parts car-101k, had subaru reman in it that ended up being good
92 pearl parts car-bought without drivetrain, had receipt for Subaru reman at 78k, previous owner that parted out drivetrain said trans was still good with 145k on car
92 pearlie i worked on, had 145k on it, had a reman in it but can't say the mileage that was on it.
92 ebony I'm going to be working on, 190k and has Subaru reman that is very strong in it-not sure if its the first or second reman though...

IDK how i'd put all these options into the poll, but there's the info...

Subix 11-03-2010 10:24 PM

As far as I know, my 94 has the original trans in it and is at 192k miles.
However, the differentials had issues and were attended to as necessary.

shelfy 11-03-2010 10:34 PM

Help me understand how transmission failure has anything to do with horsepower gain.

Sean486 11-04-2010 04:34 AM

I always wondered if there was a way to tell if the transmission was original or not. As far as I know mine is original but I can't really tell since I don't have service history prior to my ownership.

dcarrb 11-04-2010 05:32 AM

My cars haven't been modded (excepting an aux transmission cooler on the teal) and have not suffered had a tranny failure on my watch. The teal supposedly had a transmission "overhaul" performed by Subaru shortly before I bought the car, but all I have to back this up is the salesman's word. I've put about 55,000 miles on this car.

The silver came with receipts and a notation in the owner's manual showing the transmission was replaced in the late 1990s at just under 70,000 miles. Nothing of which I'm aware suggests any other tranny work between then and when I bought it at 154,000 miles.

Hard to put my finger on why exactly, but the tranny in the silver feels tighter and seems to have a bit more bite. This is the car I usually take on road trips.

dcb

RSVX 11-04-2010 06:32 AM

My original tranny failed in the unmodified 93 that SomethingElse now owns.

But that was my fault. I was too poor/fiscally irresponsible to be able to afford more than two tires at a time.

I also had no idea of the consequences that decision would present to me, at that time.

Huskymaniac 11-04-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 661986)
92 silver-original failed 60-70k
Subaru reman failed at 103k
92 NJ claret-don't know when original failed
bought with failed subaru reman with 118k
94 laguna FWD-original trans good, failed diff with 93k-was abused for 2 months by stupid kid
94 pearlie fwd-160k original trans as far as i know
92 FL claret- 143k-probably subaru reman or other rebuild
92 ebony parts car-101k, had subaru reman in it that ended up being good
92 pearl parts car-bought without drivetrain, had receipt for Subaru reman at 78k, previous owner that parted out drivetrain said trans was still good with 145k on car
92 pearlie i worked on, had 145k on it, had a reman in it but can't say the mileage that was on it.
92 ebony I'm going to be working on, 190k and has Subaru reman that is very strong in it-not sure if its the first or second reman though...

IDK how i'd put all these options into the poll, but there's the info...

Everyone with multiple cars can select multiple choices. You aren't limited to one. As far as abuse is concerned, use your judgment but I would lump that under "modified for high HP" as my intent was to show normal use versus abuse either in the form of poor maintenance, abusive driving or cranking up the HP to specification beyond the manufacturer's intent.

Huskymaniac 11-04-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coan (Post 661976)
Good idea.

How about those of us who have the original tranny, never failed, but are starting to suspect a failure in the not-so-distant future? :lol: It's not for certain yet, but my car is having... symptoms...

If you are certain it is failing, you can list it as a fail. Otherwise, assume the best case scenario for now.

Huskymaniac 11-04-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subie59 (Post 661983)
Mine is a 1994 with 187,000 kms and the tranny is just starting to slip between 1st and 2nd. I'm hopin it's a solenoid problem but have not checked it out yet.

That's a lot of mileage and you don't know if it is failing so I would call that a non-fail...for now. I think I will leave this poll open for a long time to let people go in and change their choices as necessary.

Huskymaniac 11-04-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subix (Post 661988)
As far as I know, my 94 has the original trans in it and is at 192k miles.
However, the differentials had issues and were attended to as necessary.

I would call a diff problem a separate problem.

Huskymaniac 11-04-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 661993)
I always wondered if there was a way to tell if the transmission was original or not. As far as I know mine is original but I can't really tell since I don't have service history prior to my ownership.

Use your best judgment. If you are pretty sure it is original, call it a non-fail. If you aren't then don't vote on it.

For those who bought a car and know or were told it was replaced due to failure, I would vote it as a failure.