The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Leaking Oil (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30996)

dmnknightomega6 01-20-2006 01:50 AM

Leaking Oil

hey guys, I changed my oil on a lift and noticed that there was alot of oil from a leak and for the love of me could not figure where it is coming from. i checked crank, tranny, powersteering and all hoses and all levels were normal. I can smell the burnt oil after a drive when i park. It gave a nice coat from the front lower cover to the rear diff.

Is there such a thing as a leak from the front? (timing belt side)
Does the rear diff leak?
what are the symptoms that its power steering fluid? ( i suspect)

This leak is not so bad that there is apool when i park. i only notice it from the burnt smell after running at about 80 for 20min. No visible leaks on the engine bay either.

Can someone tell me how to post pics? thanks

dannmarr 01-20-2006 05:28 AM

My car was leaking p/s fluid, it turned out to be the hose. If you looked at it you would not see a thing. But the hose started to become porous just like when a person sweats. I replaced it and the leaking stopped. I suppose this can happen to any hose, so inspect them all.

Earthworm 01-20-2006 09:48 AM

Which oil is it? If it's engine oil and coming from the front of the engine then it's probably the cam/crank seals.

tv842 01-20-2006 05:36 PM

oil leak

I too have a similar leak, its is oil , I can not see the source the only way i found it was the burt oil smell. Mine is only on the passager side, I can see small amount of oil on the cyclinder head but no damage to the gasket or anything around the area. I have put 2,000 miles since I first notice it maybe 1/4 quart of oil has been lost. I tried stop leak , did not seem to do anything. I don't want to take the car apart chasing a ghost .

svxcuseme 01-20-2006 06:25 PM

If it's power steering fluid the hoses on the passenger side behind the engine would be suspect. I bought my SVX in August last year and have since replaced all PS hoses, including the high pressure hose.

If it's engine oil, then possibly valve cover gaskets or like eworm said, cam/crank seals (all my subbies have leaked hear)

Best thing to do is clean under the hood as best as possible. I'm very partial to carburator cleaner. It cleans grease with ease but won't damage your electrical connections, hoses, etc. Then drive the car for a short distance and look for the fresh dino fluid. :)

dmnknightomega6 01-20-2006 11:34 PM

It apperas the leak is all over the place when viewed from under. if its crank or oil seal issues is this dangerous and needs to be replaced immediately?

can someone teach me how to post a pic?

Earthworm 01-21-2006 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmnknightomega6

There's 2 ways to post a pic:

1. Attach it - When posting click "Manage Attachments" browse to select the file from your computer then click Upload. When you post your pic will be attached to the message and viewable by anyone who clicks the link.

2. Link it - Upload the file to your personal locker (Manage Locker). Copy the link location of the photo in your locker to your computer's clipboard, click the http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/imag...nsertimage.gif button and paste the link. This will show the image in your post.

Hocrest 01-21-2006 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmnknightomega6
It apperas the leak is all over the place when viewed from under. if its crank or oil seal issues is this dangerous and needs to be replaced immediately?

It's not "dangerous" just keep an eye on your oil level. My old GL wagons used to get a quart of oil every time I filled the gas tank. When you fix it though, you'll want to fix the Cam seals (1 each side), crank seal and timing belts at the minimum. Many people also suggest servicing the water pump and oil pump at the same time.

dmnknightomega6 01-22-2006 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
my .... that sounds expensive. its like a overhaul!! BTW do i lose compression or performance because of this issues?

Thanks for the pic tutorial. Here it is. Note thats its on the lift

ensteele 01-22-2006 11:34 AM

I would clean up all of the oil so you can see where it is coming from. It may not be coming from where you think. :)

Earthworm 01-23-2006 11:11 AM

I'm betting on cam/crank seals as well as the transmission rear seal.