The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   starting problems/MANY OTHERS--PLEASE HELP (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2330)

SVXtc 12-29-2001 12:42 PM

starting problems/MANY OTHERS--PLEASE HELP

About 4 months ago, I had a new headunit installed. I hadn't had any problems with it. About 3 weeks ago, I had my transmission rebuilt. Sometimes the car won't start. I bought a battery about 5 months ago so I don't think it could be that. My dad suggested that when the stereo was installed, it screwed up other things. Has anyone else had a problem like this after putting in a new stereo or having their transmission rebuilt? What other problems have people had after getting the car back after having the tranny rebuilt? I have a LOT of problems. You name it, I probably have it. I have all types of codes coming from the car. I'm taking it back to the tranny shop guy to have it looked at again. He thinks it might be a communications problem between the ecu and the tcu. I am so angry. I pay $2200 and it still shifts bad and every other problem imaginable. PLEASE HELP ME.

Aredubjay 12-29-2001 01:11 PM

Re: starting problems/MANY OTHERS--PLEASE HELP

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXtc
About 4 months ago, I had a new headunit installed. I hadn't had any problems with it. About 3 weeks ago, I had my transmission rebuilt. Sometimes the car won't start. I bought a battery about 5 months ago so I don't think it could be that. My dad suggested that when the stereo was installed, it screwed up other things. Has anyone else had a problem like this after putting in a new stereo or having their transmission rebuilt? What other problems have people had after getting the car back after having the tranny rebuilt? I have a LOT of problems. You name it, I probably have it. I have all types of codes coming from the car. I'm taking it back to the tranny shop guy to have it looked at again. He thinks it might be a communications problem between the ecu and the tcu. I am so angry. I pay $2200 and it still shifts bad and every other problem imaginable. PLEASE HELP ME.
I'm going to copy this to both Chris Debban's SVX message board as well as "Technical Questions" perhaps you'll get a little help there.

MoreIBNR 12-29-2001 09:21 PM

Trans Rebuild

I am suspect of the rebuild you had done - it appears much too cheap to have been done completely. I just had mine done and the cost was $3000. They replaced all the clutches, all the solenoids, the planetary gears, all gaskets and seals and more but I don't remember everything. I do know that the parts cost was in excess of $1500. I can't see someone replacing all that and only charging less than $700 in labor.

I hope the rebuilder has a good reputation for standing behind his work and that he gave a good warranty.

SpeedVX 12-31-2001 10:15 AM

Hey everyone im new to the site. I read this post and i had to share. I just installed a new head unit in my car too, but now i cant get my car to start although the new unit works great. Here's what happened.
A friend was helping me put in the new unit. we didnt disconnect the battery. during the work the dash lights flickered once. We soon realized we didnt know what wires went where in the new unit's harness so we packed up for the night and i decided to get on here and find a diagram. So i drive it home but everytime i pressed an interior light button, the dash lights went out...weird. ....anyway i get the wiring info and i start it the next day and the car begins shaking. I quick turn it off and try starting it again, but all it will do is turn over. I tried charging the battery....nothing, checked all the fuses and found the one i blew in the main fuse box in the engine and replaced it. Finished wiring the stereo and it works fine but the car still won't start. Its so close to starting....its like it just wont stay running, almost like its being starved of something.

-any ideas very much appreciated!!!-

SpeedVX 01-04-2002 09:44 AM

well i finally got it towed to the Suby dealer. But i have a car that's running fine now. It turns out according to them that i tryed starting it too many times before i found the blown fuse in the engine compartment. By the time i replaced it with a good one, i had messed up my spark plugs by having way too much fuel in the engine. They pulled them out and cleaned them and put them back in, didnt even need replacements aparantly, although if i had known i would have got better ones installed in their place. But im just happy to have that beautiful car running again. Hope this might help SVXtc who posted about the stereo install. the symptoms don't sound the same so i doubt the problems lie with the installation of the head unit. I didnt have any error codes, and i should have just replaced that fuse before i tryed starting it.

nubs 01-04-2002 04:20 PM

Did they change the oil?

Quote:

Originally posted by SpeedVX
By the time i replaced it with a good one, i had messed up my spark plugs by having way too much fuel in the engine. They pulled them out and cleaned them and put them back in, didnt even need replacements aparantly, although if i had known i would have got better ones installed in their place

If there was enough extra fuel to foul out the plugs,they probably should have changed the oil also. There could have been enough to seep past the rings into the crankcase. Which is not good. Do your engine a favor and change the oil.:)

SVXtc 01-04-2002 04:20 PM

o.k. Here's what I know for sure. Before the rebuild, the car started fine. After, the problem began. I was receiving transmission codes immediately after the rebuild. I took it up to the local parts store where they were doing a free battery and alternator check. Turns out the alternator was only working at low RPM's. i.e. alternator was going bad. As of right now the car is in the shop till the middle of January. I am having them rebuild the alternator to put out 140amps instead of the stock 90 due to the fact i am putting subs in my car. I talked with my tranny guy and told him about this before I gave him my car again. He said that if there is a problem with power to my car, the computers will say there is a problem and start spitting out codes even though there may not be anything wrong. As soon as I get the car back, I will be able to tell everyone if the problems were fixed, or if I need other things fixed. Looks like I answered my own question.

Beav 01-04-2002 05:55 PM

Uhhh....I get a lot of cars in the shop with bad alternators and I can't remember the last time any of them spit out a single code as a result.

Beav

SVXtc 01-05-2002 03:28 PM

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if fixing the alternator fixes these problems or not. You know how sensitive are cars can be.