The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   STi (group N) motor mounts installed (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17537)

mbtoloczko 03-28-2004 09:13 PM

STi (group N) motor mounts installed

STi group N motor mounts have been installed. It was done as part of the 5MT upgrade that is in-progress and also for HP additions coming later on. Anyhow, the mounts are not a straight bolt-in mod. The STi mounts are about 1/4" shorter than the SVX mounts. My mechanic (oppositelock) ended up using the SVX mounting plate. He had to slot the holes in the plate and weld a 1/4" thick spacer plate to the mounting plate to make everything line up properly. I'll let oppositelock add the details. He's got pictures too. One of us will be adding them soon.

Subafreak 04-26-2005 08:39 PM

How about them pick? :D

I only dig this up becouse I found out I had a broken motor mount when I pulled my motor out, it probly happend during the devastating launch but if I tore it then I'm sure I'm gonna do it again. So where can I get these and what is a good price for them?

Beav 04-26-2005 10:28 PM

I'm looking for a reasonable alternative also. As far as I'm concerned Subaru can either make their price reasonable or pitch the stock in the dumpster. Good grief, hydraulic mounts for a 32valve Lincoln are around $48 @ NAPA.

mbtoloczko 04-26-2005 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subafreak
How about them pick? :D

Pics in my locker here:

<http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?mbtoloczko|25050>

The mounts are available from many places. Since you are near the East Coast, I'd recommend Rallispec at $86/pair (very good deal):

http://www.rallispec.com/

If you don't already have the Group N tranny mount for your 6MT, you might want to get one of those too.

GreenMarine 04-26-2005 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
STi group N motor mounts have been installed. It was done as part of the 5MT upgrade that is in-progress and also for HP additions coming later on. Anyhow, the mounts are not a straight bolt-in mod. The STi mounts are about 1/4" shorter than the SVX mounts. My mechanic (oppositelock) ended up using the SVX mounting plate. He had to slot the holes in the plate and weld a 1/4" thick spacer plate to the mounting plate to make everything line up properly. I'll let oppositelock add the details. He's got pictures too. One of us will be adding them soon.

Does it do anything noticable??? Vibration... Shifting ease.... Niose??? Any of those change over stock??

mbtoloczko 04-27-2005 07:30 AM

My only comparison would be with the 4eat and the stock engine mounts. Compared to that, there is a slight increase in vibration, but nothing even mildly annoying. No increase in noise. Can't compare shifting performance and driveline stiffness, but I can tell you that the Group N engine mounts have travel limiters that only allow about 1/4" total engine rock.

Subafreak 04-28-2005 04:41 PM

Hell that price don't sound bad! I'm assuming the STI mounts are just solid rubber instead of liquid filled? And that in return they are less breakable?

I already got the tranny mount, I belive they are a neccesity with a manual in the SVX.

blacknite 04-28-2005 04:56 PM

i bought mine at subaruparts.com for $125 for both of them with shipping. Took about 4 days to arrive.And yeah they are solid rubber... I believe a lot better than stock. I also have the 5 speed trany. when my stock motormounts went bad. It destroyed my clutch cable and the fork. So I end up replacing tranny and clutch. I replace 3 time the clutch cable before it got to the tranny part. Once i replace all the tranny stuff i check on the mounts and that was the couse of all my pain. So check them!!!!!

mbtoloczko 04-28-2005 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subafreak
Hell that price don't sound bad! I'm assuming the STI mounts are just solid rubber instead of liquid filled? And that in return they are less breakable?

I already got the tranny mount, I belive they are a neccesity with a manual in the SVX.

Yeah, you will not break them. Because of the travel limiters build into Group N engine mounts (look at pic #3 in my locker), there is no way for the mount to stretch more than about 1/4". After that, it hits a rubber coated metal stop.

Are you sure that your 6MT tranny mount is the Group N version? There is a standard STi 6MT tranny mount that looks similar but uses a softer rubber compound than the Group N 6MT tranny mount.

Subafreak 04-28-2005 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Yeah, you will not break them. Because of the travel limiters build into Group N engine mounts (look at pic #3 in my locker), there is no way for the mount to stretch more than about 1/4". After that, it hits a rubber coated metal stop.

Are you sure that your 6MT tranny mount is the Group N version? There is a standard STi 6MT tranny mount that looks similar but uses a softer rubber compound than the Group N 6MT tranny mount.

Well isn't that a good question? I'm not sure if it's the group N mount but it is a hell of alot stiffer than the rubberband stock one.

Beav 04-29-2005 03:48 PM

The stock SVX mounts also have travel limiters built into the brackets, as you describe.

mbtoloczko 04-29-2005 05:33 PM

My recollection is that the OEM SVX engine mounts only have compressive travel limiters. Is this incorrect?

Beav 04-30-2005 12:37 AM

Incorrect. The tabs sit inside pockets.

longassname 05-13-2005 09:08 PM

does anybody have oem motor mounts laying around. I've blown mine and want to order the group n motor mounts. I'm hoping I can get my hands on a borrowed or diverted to me before the trash can set of svx mounts so I can fabricate the adaptor plates before pulling the remains of my mounter mounts out of the car.

Subafreak 05-13-2005 09:25 PM

Well I already told Dave he could have mine, sorry :rolleyes:

At least your still gonna get the intake ;)