The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My SVX tried to kill my dog (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41258)

SubaSteevo 10-12-2007 05:16 PM

My SVX tried to kill my dog

I took my dog for a ride and to see some friends. I leave the back window open a little for her to stick her head out. As we're coming home I go to put up my window and hit the back switch by accident. The back window starts going up AND DOESN'T STOP. I fiddled with the switch for what seemed like 5 minutes (but was probably about 10 seconds) then decide the only way to stop it was by force. So I pull over immediately and jump out of the car (well, I try to jump out, but I forget to take off the lap belt and get stuck). I tried my best to force the window down but nothing. Using my whole body I was able to bend the window away from the car just enough for her to squeeze her head out.

Both the dog and the car seem to be ok, but I'm still a bit shaken up :(

Myxalplyx 10-12-2007 05:21 PM

http://jacquesclouseau.free.fr/uploa...139-719543.jpg

IceBlade 10-12-2007 05:23 PM

I'm glad your dog is okay but I must say that is a pretty interesting story lol.

Trevor 10-12-2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaSteevo (Post 499936)
I took my dog for a ride and to see some friends. I leave the back window open a little for her to stick her head out. As we're coming home I go to put up my window and hit the back switch by accident. The back window starts going up AND DOESN'T STOP. I fiddled with the switch for what seemed like 5 minutes (but was probably about 10 seconds) then decide the only way to stop it was by force. So I pull over immediately and jump out of the car (well, I try to jump out, but I forget to take off the lap belt and get stuck). I tried my best to force the window down but nothing. Using my whole body I was able to bend the window away from the car just enough for her to squeeze her head out.

Both the dog and the car seem to be ok, but I'm still a bit shaken up :(

Not good at all. :eek:

I understood that this possibility was catered for, in that the motor would stall before severe pressure becomes involved. Please report further when you have sorted things out, as the issue should be vented.

Wikedjuggalo 10-12-2007 06:45 PM

Wow, Make me never wanna take my dog out in my car >.<

SubaSteevo 10-12-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 499941)
Not good at all. :eek:

I understood that this possibility was catered for, in that the motor would stall before severe pressure becomes involved. Please report further when you have sorted things out, as the issue should be vented.

Well the stalling motor may account for the reason why the switch would not respond to put the window back down, and she escaped relatively unscathed. The window seems to be functioning normal now.

As for the dog, she seems happy as can be. I'm sure it hurt a bit at the time, and probably scared the hell out of her (and me!), but there seems to be no sensitivity now and she ran over to her bowl for water as soon as we got in. Had she been smaller (she's a ~50lb pit mix and built like a rock), the story might have ended differently.

UPnorth362 10-12-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaSteevo (Post 499977)
Well the stalling motor may account for the reason why the switch would not respond to put the window back down, and she escaped relatively unscathed. The window seems to be functioning normal now.

As for the dog, she seems happy as can be. I'm sure it hurt a bit at the time, and probably scared the hell out of her (and me!), but there seems to be no sensitivity now and she ran over to her bowl for water as soon as we got in. Had she been smaller (she's a ~50lb pit mix and built like a rock), the story might have ended differently.

Thats pretty funny, because my pit once did the same thing to me in my WRX. I stuck my head in the window that was partly up, and she stepped on the window switch made the window go up. Thankfully I was able to stop the window with my arm. Isnt that why the removed the auto windo up on the SVX?:rolleyes:

AlcyoneDaze 10-12-2007 09:28 PM

thats awful... :(

jokingly i tell people the 92 SVX was the only car to have the auto-up feature... cuz people kept losing their hands and they did a recall... :)

AlcyoneDaze 10-12-2007 09:29 PM

so theres a bunch of one-handed original owners out there somewhere, who are very, very pissed at fuji heavy industries :lol:

SVeXy96 10-13-2007 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze (Post 500027)
thats awful... :(

jokingly i tell people the 92 SVX was the only car to have the auto-up feature... cuz people kept losing their hands and they did a recall... :)

Thats not true cause I have 2 1996s and they both the auto window up function...The rumor I heard was that it went up too fast...si maybe they slowed it down? I dunno when did other cars start being made with auto window up?

Cynic 10-13-2007 05:19 PM

Same thing happened to my dog (German Shepherd X Australian Shepherd) in our old Volvo. I guess it did hurt a lot, cause it was 5 years ago, and he still will barely stick his nose out a window in a car.:o

94SubieSVX 10-13-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVeXy96 (Post 500095)
Thats not true cause I have 2 1996s and they both the auto window up function...The rumor I heard was that it went up too fast...si maybe they slowed it down? I dunno when did other cars start being made with auto window up?

Don't quote me on this, but you might have a driver's side window switch assembly from a '92 SVX.

PS- SubaSteve are you going to Maryland at the end of the month??

lhopp77 10-14-2007 08:33 AM

Safer

Actually the SVX window switch setup is much safer than nearly all American cars on the market. On American cars dogs can have their head out the window and activate the up switch simply by standing on it. Can't do that in the SVX.

So, my advice--watch your dog while riding in American cars.

Lee

svxual 10-16-2007 05:55 AM

mines a 92 and only the driver window has auto up and even then u have 2 up click it twice for it 2 work, same in my 94 wrx and same in my 06 legacy but my justy has winders lol

JaySVX 10-16-2007 06:30 AM

My 94 has auto-up, but only because my window switches were beat so i replaced them with that of a 92. Quite honestly, I love the feature, and use it daily. A little bit of common sense, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Perhaps we should put auto-up on all the windows to do some cleaning of the gene pool...