The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My SVX got run over by a truck (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28757)

rufus 10-04-2005 11:04 AM

My SVX got run over by a truck

OK, only partially run over. I dropped a car off at the body shop for some paint repair work this morning (ironically), and at the red light right outside of their parking lot, I pulled in behind a big delivery truck to wait for the light. A few seconds later, I guess he decided he was too far out in the intersection, and backed right into me. Headlamps, both fenders, hood, radiator and support, all smashed into the front of the engine. The guy admitted fault to the cop, so insurance should not be a problem, although I am quite worried that they are going to total the car... No injuries though, thankfully. I went for reverse, but obviously not fast enough.

At least the body shop was one of my insurance company's "prefered shops" and I was able to drive the car over there (about 300 feet) and drive home in the one I was originally planning to get fixed today. On the way back to my house, I said to my finacee "at least everything's going as planned this morning, we dropped a car off at the bodyshop..."

I am pretty bummed, although if they fix it at least I'll get rid of the paint chips in the hood :)

Stupid trucks.

Chiketkd 10-04-2005 11:09 AM

Glad you're okay Mike. If the insurance company totals it, are you still going to get it fixed and back on the road?

I assume your beautiful '92 pearlie was involved? I think you got rid of the claret, correct?

-Chike

Earthworm 10-04-2005 11:12 AM

It's almost certainly written off. Sorry to say.

rufus 10-04-2005 11:30 AM

Yeah, it was the pearl. :(

Once I hear back from the insurance company I'll start thinking about my options.

svxfiles 10-04-2005 11:39 AM

I hope they fix it for you Mike.

SVXRide 10-04-2005 12:17 PM

Mike,
Call/PM me if the insurance company doesn't do what we all would like to see (i.e. FIX IT)!
-Bill

svxfiles 10-04-2005 12:43 PM

I hope they fix it properly, but if they total it,

I have a WV special Pearl white front clip..
Slightly dented hood, moderatly dented left fender. scraped front bumper, clean right fender, rad support,right headlight,AC condencer.

benebob 10-04-2005 12:50 PM

Ditto with Bill, I do know of a good rad support and I have a good radiator (provided you're top tank is still good and can be switched). As for a hood sorry we just drilled some holes through ours (it had a dent anyways). Lights I may be able to come up with. Also, I can come up with a title from our racer that wouldn't be branded too if you wanna go that route. Glad you're okay though most of all.

SilverSpear 10-04-2005 01:48 PM

I just hate when things get %$@#&*@!(^# UP !!!! :mad: doesn't such things make you mad? I am glad you are ok first Rufus, and people say that at the end cars are pieces of metal and not humans, so it is better to smash the cars and not live crippled (for Ex) for the rest of one's life... :(

Again glad U R OK

Ron Mummert 10-04-2005 08:32 PM

Yes, Mike....I think it's time to consider that Ferrari y****w paint job as a weekend project.

Ron (let's look at the bright side). :)

Electrophil 10-04-2005 10:16 PM

If the radiator support is caved in, they will definitely total the car. :o The adjuster told me that it's automatic due to it being spotwelded as part of the car frame.

The adjuster was at my house all of 3 minutes before saying it was gone.

It was a 92 LS-L, They gave me $4,480 and allowed me to buy the car back for $353

I bought a welding machine from Home Cheapo, used a dremel tool to cut the support from my parts car, and welded it in.

It's removing the spot welds on the sides, that turned out the hardest, cause I didn't want to drill through and used spot weld cutters. The radiator support itself actually lined up perfectly. If it wasn't a different color, :o , you wouldn't be able to tell.

SSSVX 10-04-2005 10:32 PM

Yeah, stupid truck!!!

I'm worried they're going to total your car...

All the best!

ensteele 10-04-2005 10:38 PM

Hope it works out for you. :(

huck369 10-05-2005 05:27 AM

It was the trucks fault, so you can MAKE them fix your car, even if it would be more than the value of the car...

rufus 10-05-2005 06:51 AM

Thanks for all the kind words. I haven't heard anything yet, but I'll be making a few calls this morning to find out what's what.

I'll keep you posted...