The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT - 2nd Gen. Acura Legends? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10687)

DavieGravy 05-11-2003 09:57 PM

OT - 2nd Gen. Acura Legends?

I'm thinking about buying a 2nd gen. Acura Legend (91 or 92.) I'll probably be looking at 180k+ miles on the clock as these are expensive vehicles. Does anyone know anything about these cars in terms of their reliability and expense of maintenance in comparison to the SVX? I read some reviews but they all seemed to be written by illiterate morons. For instance, a particular review may state X as being a downside with no explanation why. Any help will be appreciated.

Soobarooo 05-12-2003 12:51 AM

I had a 94 Coupe with a 6 Spd manual.
It was a phenominal vehicle. I miss it.
The Legends are great.
Nothing much to worry about, its a Honda after all.
Parts are cheaper than an SVX and overall, I would bet its a cheaper car to maintain.

Good Luck.

subafan 05-12-2003 01:38 AM

yeah.... the car buying bug is itching lately again... for the 2nd gen manual legend coupes..... that's a very classy car imho

subafan 05-12-2003 01:39 AM

and yeah, they are reliable too... my folks have the 90 and the 91 sedans and both are still running very strong....

LarryIII 05-12-2003 04:34 AM

Yeah, it's springtime. The bite from the car bug is begining to itch. I'll have to scratch it soon.
............Let see, what color & model year to get. Laguana Blue is nice.

benebob 05-12-2003 06:44 AM

Acura Legand

The Acura reliability is fairly bulletproof. Granted its a 11+ year old car at this point so you'll end up replacing those little things. Might consider a Sterling if the Acura intices you. Has the same tranny and engine as the Acura so you're safe there but its got a less bland English/Rover body, great interior and best of all its cheaper. Parts aren't entirely easy to get but they're out there as the car was sold in Europe as well. It was a highly underappriciated car. The 87 and 88s had some electrical issues and had speedo cables which were prone to breaking but the later ones were excellent. The British always seem to fix their problems a day too late. :D

GreenMarine 05-12-2003 09:58 AM

Remember the girl that I brought to Reading... Well she has a Ledgend that has 256K on the clock!!!! And the thing still runs strong as ever!!!!

SHISVX 05-12-2003 02:08 PM

do we remember her??? i do...but only the back of her head ;) ;) *wink wink*

i'm glad everything faired well for you, hope my advice helped!

Kelli

NomadTW 05-12-2003 09:30 PM

great car, my dad had one, before he got his 3.2tl, and now his forester.... it was gettin old, but apparently it's one of the most expensive vehicles to insure on the road for some reason

DavieGravy 05-12-2003 09:39 PM

Yeah, you can't beat Honda reliability, but I don't want to end up buying a high milage one and have to replace all the little things. Ball joints, cv boots, water pump, alternator, radiator, etc. I had enough of that with my Honda Accord. It was a reliable car, but had lots of little things go wrong with it and the SVX has been cheaper overall. :eek: I just hope the Legend isn't the same way.
Hopefully, I'll be able to make a decision some time this decade. :D

stanbu815 05-12-2003 09:49 PM

Acura Legend

Bought my wife a Legend in 1990. Traded it for a 3.2TL in 1999. Had about 80K on it. Generally a very reliable vehicle. In the 10 years, had a real problem with wheel alignment and chewed up a couple of sets of tires prematurely. Also had wheel bearing and CV boot problems as the car aged. However, the car was reliable enough and comfortable enough to want another one. We bought the 1999 3.2TL and then again traded that one, which was no problem, for a 2002 3.2TL-S which is really one hell of a performance car considering it is a "family sedan". I enjoy driving it almost as much as my SVX. I would have the Legend you want checked over just as you should any used vehicle, but you have an advantage with the Honda history of reliability.

Ron Mummert 05-12-2003 10:23 PM

How about the FIRST generation Legends? I sorta, kinda have a thing for the '86-'89 coupe (wide tail lights, flared fenders, sound familiar?), especially now that they can be had for less than 3 grand. Worth a look?
Thanks, Ron

DavieGravy 05-13-2003 01:17 PM

1st gens are also very nice cars in terms of their durability, reliability, and looks and I to have kind of a thing for them. A while back I test drove a v6 and it offered some good power. But, in my opinion, the 2nd gen is so much nicer and I'd love to have one of them. However, the first gens are cheaper and I may have to go with one instead if that's all I can afford. Buying a car with high miles for somewhat long term ownership is a risky thing to do. Just dunno yet.