The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Please tell me it is all worth it... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31801)

Sean486 02-27-2006 09:46 AM

Please tell me it is all worth it...

Not a good day in Subie land for me. I am faced with another expensive repair, bad CV Boot and Bad Calipers. This is on top of a transmission rebuild and a new Alternator in January. I am growing tired of repairs and am having thoughts of the "S" word... Selling.:( Any advice? Something to cheer me up?

n00b on demand 02-27-2006 09:49 AM

You can find good used calipers on car-part.com....and go to raxles.com for a good deal on an axle. I bought a used caliper for 20 dollar plus 5 dollars shipping. Search the prices and find out..that will put you in a better situation. But i do understand why you want to sell....everytime i fix something...something else breaks :rolleyes:

svxfiles 02-27-2006 10:15 AM

On the other hand, if you install a rebuilt axle, instead of just changing the bad boot, you spend less on labor, and do not have to worry about THAT axle for two years.:)
The calipers are also an easy job, like the axle that you can do at home, WITH THE HELP OF SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
Who is an SVXer who lives near you?

If you learn how to do some things yourself, the SVX becomes a less expensive car to own.
Tom

Electrophil 02-27-2006 10:42 AM

I agree with Tom. Replace the Axle and walk away smiling. :)

If you think about it, it was that tranny rebuild that has the bad taste in your mouth. It will stop messing with you for a while.....unless your foot stays pretty hard on it. :)

AvPPoW 02-27-2006 10:47 AM

What's bad about the calipers? Maybe rebuild them? I pulled the pistons out of mind and reground them to clear off the rust because they were sticking. Worked well, no problems in over a year.

As far as the axle, if it's just the boot, use some duct tape tight around the boot. If it's gotten particles in it, and it's started clicking, then you might as well replace it, but the tape will buy you some time if it hasn't.

BTW, I see you're in Pottstown. I grew up in Limerick, didn't know there were SVX'ers that close :)

TomsSVX 02-27-2006 10:50 AM

Sean, give me a call and we will talk. I owe you a lil sumthing after the last time you were here.

Tom

SilverSpear 02-27-2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles
WITH THE HELP OF SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
Who is an SVXer who lives near you?

If you learn how to do some things yourself, the SVX becomes a less expensive car to own.
Tom

behind Tom all the way ;)

It's Just Eric 02-27-2006 12:14 PM

Heres a good bit of advice. Pick up a parts car if you have the room. For 5 or 6 hundred bucks you can pick up a heavy collision car LOADED with parts. Use what you need, sell what you dont. Not only will you save on parts, youll probly make a profit selling off pars others need.
Im also behind Tom on the learn some repairs yourself thing. my goal is to never have to take my car to be fixed by someone other than me (Or a small circle of close friends) I cant remember a single time AvPPoW had his car in someone else's garage...and he fixed some complicated stuff
so cheer up, dont sell, otherwise youll probly regret it:(

Sean486 02-27-2006 03:16 PM

Thanks everyone. Hopefully the car will settle down after these repairs. I don't think I will be selling now, but with each repair I am getting more and more upset. The next one might be the last straw. Tom, I'll give you a call, maybe we can work something out.

Ricochet 02-27-2006 04:48 PM

My car runs very well and I love it, it's my most favorite car I've ever owned.