The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ABS removal (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53251)

SURTEESS 02-23-2010 12:39 PM

ABS removal

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...member=1586234

was there ever an SVX made without ABS ???

the above post shows engine bay with ABS removed - here in NZ I believe that constitutes having to require a modification certificate?

Steve in NZ

1986nate 02-23-2010 12:46 PM

Re: ABS removal

Were there JDMs that the lowest option had no ABS?

Obviously the 2wd L models in the US in 94 and 95 did not have ABS.

Edit: I is a:tard:

SURTEESS 02-23-2010 01:17 PM

Here in NZ we are RHD, you are right the drivers seat looks like it has been removed - maybe for working on a leaking master cyclinder under the dash ??

Mike621 02-23-2010 01:25 PM

Note the aftermarket/custom radiator as well.

Cam 02-23-2010 01:37 PM

strange...
I like the tow bar :cool:

The only thing I have to add is that the "boxer" throttle body/intake cover is missing. But, other than that it looks very clean and well cared for.

SURTEESS 02-23-2010 01:51 PM

It is not a low spec model - check out the stereo control on the steering wheel ????

So the only reason to remove ABS is that "Trevor" wanted to take it off road - hence ABS on gravel does not get enough feedback to driver when rallying ???

lhopp77 02-23-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 635947)
Obviously the 2wd L models in the US in 94 and 95 did not have ABS.

SOME of the lower 94 models did not have ABS, but some of the same models did. Personally don't know much about the 95 models. ;)

My 94 LE model did not have ABS, but I have seen L models that did have ABS and some that did not.

Lee

Gamesy 02-23-2010 02:28 PM

my friend removed the ABS in his 240sx and just linked the lines or something,
he can lock up all 4 while driving fast :P

1986nate 02-23-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 635963)
SOME of the lower 94 models did not have ABS, but some of the same models did. Personally don't know much about the 95 models. ;)

My 94 LE model did not have ABS, but I have seen L models that did have ABS and some that did not.

Lee

fair enough, my bad. I'm just off today on my facts i guess:o:p

svxistentialist 02-23-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURTEESS (Post 635945)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...member=1586234

the above post shows engine bay with ABS removed - here in NZ I believe that constitutes having to require a modification certificate?

Steve in NZ

It's not "removed" Steve, it was never there.

I think that car is in lovely condition. In Japan when they were launched in 1991 the top of the range SVX was the "Version L". Version L cars had practically all extras you could wish for. They had leather and powered 4WS and cruise and ABS and automatic dimming lights etc, etc. You could get a Version L car without a sunroof, so that was optional, but they had mostly everything. I have a Version L car same colour scheme as this one.

The lowest spec Alcyone SVX was the "Version E" This car you are seeing here is a Version E in base spec for Japan.

My first Claret and Black car from Japan was a Version E, same spec as this one. It came without ABS and if you look at the bulkhead behind the engine you will notice it does not have cruise either. My one also had the same controls on the steering wheel. These are for the radio stereo. It comes equipped with a single din tuner amp and a single din single CD player, Panasonic just like all standard SVX stereos. The buttons on the steering let you change channels and mute the radio. I never found the lack of ABS to be a problem, the brakes were safe and not inclined to lock up.

I loved it. If you look carefully you will notice it has green glass. All my UK silver ones have that hideous not-dark-enough bronze glass, and my jdm 94 silver has blue glass. The blue glass is not too bad, but it's not a patch on the green.

Also I prefer those alcantara seats to the leather ones. They are more comfortable. Another nice feature if you look closely at the mirror controls, you'll notice it has the mirrors that close by servo motor at the press of a button.

That's a Japanese Version E in base spec.

Joe:)

svxcess 02-23-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURTEESS (Post 635946)

In the U.S. most 1994 and all 1995 "L" models (Front wheel Drive) had Power 4 wheel disc NON-ABS braking system.

If you added the Active Safety Group to the L models, you got AWD and anti-lock brakes.

SURTEESS 02-23-2010 04:19 PM

Hey guys thanks for the help on this one, it is good to see some real effort come out of such a "simple" question

Gamesy 02-23-2010 04:30 PM

its what the network is here for. keep in mind its not a commonly asked question so the search reply doesnt come up either ;P