The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tranny Cooler (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13944)

Breck SVX 10-22-2003 11:01 PM

Tranny Cooler

I've been meaning to do this since I got the car. Having just been hired at a Subaru dealership now seems like the appropriate time. I'm gonna have a mechanic install the cooler for me as; 1. I'm too lazy and 2. I dont have the resources or time(lame excuses you say? yes!). I think I've found all that I need but I just want to make sure with you guys.

Summit Racing:
1. PRM-10678 (perma cool filter)
2. BMM-70268 (b&m cooler)
3. ATM-2640 (auto meter gauge)
Sub Total: $119.85

Questions:
-do i need some kind of sender for the temp gauge? If so where can I find it?
-are the combination of these 3 things the most efficent and cost effective way of keeping my torpid tranny cooler?
-if not what else should i get?
-should I have the cooler mounted in parallel?
-best location for the cooler?

thanks,
-Alex

mbtoloczko 10-23-2003 12:03 AM

Re: Tranny Cooler

Quote:

Originally posted by Breck SVX

Questions:
-do i need some kind of sender for the temp gauge? If so where can I find it?
-are the combination of these 3 things the most efficent and cost effective way of keeping my torpid tranny cooler?
-if not what else should i get?
-should I have the cooler mounted in parallel?
-best location for the cooler?

thanks,
-Alex

- The sender will be included with the gauge.
- I have a similar setup on my car. It works pretty well, but it still gets hotter than I would like in the summer, and the ATF is too cool in the winter.
-My suggestion is to install an ATF cooler with an electric fan into the left-front wheel well. Get the thermostat and wire the fan to kick-in based on the thermostat. Some people have done this with good results.
- I think that series or parallel will give similar results. Some people feel that parallel is better because there will be a smaller pressure rise across the ATF cooling loop. If you have an early model car ('92-'93), it would probably be best to stop using the radiatior cooler. These coolers have a tendency to clog.
- If you use the cooler you listed above, the ideal location for most effective cooling is in front of the a/c condenser.

Breck SVX 10-06-2004 09:09 PM

So i got all these things today, took a while to save up but they're here! The perma cool instructions refer to a 3rd port for a sender, I dont see a 3rd port. How did you guys attach your sender to similar setups?

thanks
-Alex

AFBeefcake 10-06-2004 09:35 PM

There is a hole for the sender in the top of the filter bracket. In between the inlet and outlet.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...cake/21373.jpg

Breck SVX 10-06-2004 09:46 PM

I dont have that hole, there is a little indent but no hole...does this mean i'll have to drill and tap one?

-Alex

AFBeefcake 10-07-2004 09:14 AM

o? I don't know that hole should be there. That pic is of the kit you orderd (PRM-10678) right from summit racings web site, and I have the same one on my car and it has the hole.

Breck SVX 10-07-2004 10:28 AM

Thats the part # I ordered but the hole is definetly not there. I guess I'll have to call summit.....

k, just called...they sent me the wrong part but the right one is on the way.

SVXRide 10-07-2004 12:17 PM

Check my locker for pics on installing a trans cooler in the driver's fender well. I also have the PermaCool filter, which you'll be able to see in a couple of the pics. FYI - I removed the bracket that holds the stock trans filter in place. This was a bear, as it uses the same three bolts as the car hold down loop does, which have locktite on them!
-Bill

Breck SVX 10-07-2004 01:51 PM

For those who mounted the cooler infront of the condenser, did you take off the bumper cover?

-Alex

SVXRide 10-08-2004 02:33 PM

You don't have to take the bumper cover off. Removing the radiator makes it very easy...
-Bill

rob_4187 10-08-2004 04:10 PM

What does a tranny cooler do for your car (besides cool the tranny)? Does it improve performance or give you a higher rev limit?

Earthworm 10-08-2004 04:40 PM

Neither...it makes your tranny last longer. (MTBF)

nsm484 10-09-2004 03:05 AM

My 92 has a Basicly New Radiator on it... If I invest in a tranny cooler, should I go ahead and Bypass the Radator Tranny cooler... or keep it sence its new?

Also.. is it worth it to flush the tranny fluid, and redo with all clean fluid when I invest in a Tranny Cooler/Filter, etc?

Note: Miles on car, atleast 135,000+ (Speedo hasnt worked sence
i got the car, so this is an est. miles... im sure its around this area though)

n00b on demand 10-09-2004 09:53 AM

I suggest you just put the cooler inbetween the radiator and a/c condensor. Its alot easier to install that way. When I put mine in i didnt bypass the radiator. Yeah its a good idea to get a fluid change or flush before you put the cooler in. Its just another way of being safe.

SVXRide 10-09-2004 08:29 PM

You can plumb in your cooler in series if your radiator isn't the original one (if it is, it will have the infamous "screen" in it which can restrict ATF flow). If you've still got the original radiator, I'd recommend bypassing the radiator.
-Bill