The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Legacy FWD fuse no longer works (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17548)

Mr. Pockets 03-29-2004 08:16 AM

Legacy FWD fuse no longer works

Yes, you read that right. See, duty solenoid C in my Legacy is bad, causing some binding during turns. So I have the FWD fuse in until I get around to replacing the solenoid and the clutches. That's been a fine solution until now. All of the sudden the fuse doesn't seem to do anything (the car is no longer in FWD mode) and, of course, it's telling me that duty solenoid C is bad. I tried replacing the fuse, but that didn't do anything - the one that was in there was fine, of course. If it was blowing fuses I'd have much bigger problems.

Any ideas? I am going to hook up my OBD-II scanner and reset everything to see if that helps.

Aredubjay 03-29-2004 02:08 PM

When my FWD fuse didn't work, it turned out I needed a TCU.

Mr. Pockets 03-29-2004 02:24 PM

YAY!

Aredubjay 03-29-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
YAY!

I figured that'd make you happy. :D

oab_au 03-29-2004 05:57 PM

Doom and gloom.

Nick don't you just like these blokes that tell you the worst news first.
It depends on the FWD light on the dash, is it still working? If it is then the binding is caused by pressure being applied to the clutch by a stuck Transfer valve. The C solenoid may be working ok but the stuck valve won't let go.

If the FWD light does not work with the fuse in, then sh1t has happened.

Harvey. ;)

Mr. Pockets 03-29-2004 07:08 PM

I suppose it's possible that the light burned out. But I don't find it likely because the binding came back as soon as the light stopped working - that and the tranny light started blinking. I keep forgetting to take my OBD-II scanner home with me. I'm grabbing it right now and I'll see what I find.

Mr. Pockets 03-30-2004 01:53 PM

Well, here's an odd little update. Last night I tried disconnecting the battery while I ate dinner. I went back out, full and burping (you're welcome for the imagery), hooked the battery back up and started the car. No more blinking tranny light (go figure), but also no FWD light. I went back inside, feeling a little defeated.

My wife says that the car's been fine all day. FWD light is back on and no binding.

I don't think my battery trick did it. Right now I suspect a bad ground. So I guess I'll have to hunt down where that fuse grounds to. There are a couple little grounds close to it, but I'd be overly optimistic to expect that one of those is it. :p

oab_au 03-30-2004 03:04 PM

Looks like IT has happened.

Looks like it is electrical. If you can find the 'FWD fuse' wire at the TCU plug, you could check to see if it has 12V on it when the fuse is in, if not you can work back to find the problem. If it has 12V there, then check the C SOLENOID wire at the TCU plug, see if it is there. Yes?, it is the C SOLENOID, no?, it is the TCU. Sorry I don't know the pinout for the Legacy.

Harvey. ;)

Mr. Pockets 03-30-2004 03:28 PM

To be completely honest, I don't know where the TCU is on the Legacy. :p

Aredubjay 03-30-2004 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Last night I tried disconnecting the battery while I ate dinner. I went back out, full and burping

More organic mac and cheese, no doubt. :D

Mr. Pockets 03-30-2004 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

More organic mac and cheese, no doubt. :D

Funny, but no. :) It was home made goodness.