The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Car not running again...a whole new problem... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42400)

Scott 12-18-2007 03:21 PM

Car not running again...a whole new problem...

My frustration is growing. The SVX is still giving me headaches, back to back to back. I'm almost to the point that I want to try and sell it again, to somebody with more patience for it.

In THIS thread, I documented my beginning to fix the car. The fuel pump had died, and once replaced, the car drove wonderfully for about a day. Then it died again. I replaced the fuel filter and FPR since that was the next logical step. Now, the fuel isn't getting out of the tank again. I can hear the "whirrr" of the fuel pump working, but nothing is coming out.

Tossing ideas around in my head, and shooting e-mails back and forth between a few friends, and I have a couple of ideas.

When I replaced the fuel pump, I didn't drain all the old gas out of the tank. The indicator was at less than 1/4 tank. Also, I reused the old bag-style pickup from the old fuel pump. I'm assuming that perhaps the combination of old gas sitting for 4 months with a 15-year old pickup perhaps caused a clog.

I'm just trying to confirm that this is the most likely culprit. After I got it running, I filled the car up with fresh gas, so it's now sitting with a full tank, and I don't want to have to siphon and dispose of an entire tank of gas if possible. It's messy, hazardous, and an overall pain in the butt. So I guess I need some guidance before I just decide to straight up dispose of the car or part it out.

Manarius 12-18-2007 05:05 PM

You should be able to remove the pump and the sock right from the top of the tank. Check the condition of the sock and see if it's clogged or not...

Scott 12-18-2007 06:15 PM

Well, you have to reach down a bit to get to the hose you need to disconnect to get the whole assembly out. I'm going to give it a try, but we shall see.

Thanks! :)

svxistentialist 12-18-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 516156)
My frustration is growing. The SVX is still giving me headaches, back to back to back. I'm almost to the point that I want to try and sell it again, to somebody with more patience for it.

In THIS thread, I documented my beginning to fix the car. The fuel pump had died, and once replaced, the car drove wonderfully for about a day. Then it died again. I replaced the fuel filter and FPR since that was the next logical step. Now, the fuel isn't getting out of the tank again. I can hear the "whirrr" of the fuel pump working, but nothing is coming out.

Tossing ideas around in my head, and shooting e-mails back and forth between a few friends, and I have a couple of ideas.

When I replaced the fuel pump, I didn't drain all the old gas out of the tank. The indicator was at less than 1/4 tank. Also, I reused the old bag-style pickup from the old fuel pump. I'm assuming that perhaps the combination of old gas sitting for 4 months with a 15-year old pickup perhaps caused a clog.

I'm just trying to confirm that this is the most likely culprit. After I got it running, I filled the car up with fresh gas, so it's now sitting with a full tank, and I don't want to have to siphon and dispose of an entire tank of gas if possible. It's messy, hazardous, and an overall pain in the butt. So I guess I need some guidance before I just decide to straight up dispose of the car or part it out.

Manarius is right; you have to open the top of the tank and check the pump assembly.

Number 1, it may be the sock, and you need to see if it needs replacing.

Number 2, it may be something else. If the pump is pumping, and no gasoline is getting out, you have to consider that possibly there is a blockage in the line to the injectors [which you can check, by blowing through], or more likely, the pressure the new pump delivers was enough to defeat the grip of the pipe on the pump outlet. Your pump may be pumping fuel straight back into the tank, having blown the pipe off.

If this is the case, see if you need to cut 1/2" off the outlet pipe, and make a new secure connection.

Joe

Scott 12-19-2007 07:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pick up a drum and siphon some of the tank so I can get better access to the pump assembly. It was definitely easier with only about 3 gallons in the tank, as opposed to the 17 or so in it now.

Wikedjuggalo 12-19-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 516461)
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to pick up a drum and siphon some of the tank so I can get better access to the pump assembly. It was definitely easier with only about 3 gallons in the tank, as opposed to the 17 or so in it now.

I hope everything get worked out for you!

Scott 12-19-2007 09:16 PM

Me too...I'll post up my findings tomorrow! :)

Scott 12-20-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 516201)
the pressure the new pump delivers was enough to defeat the grip of the pipe on the pump outlet. Your pump may be pumping fuel straight back into the tank, having blown the pipe off.

We have a winner!

When I replaced the fuel pump, I obviously forgot to put the metal clamp back on the hose, and it came right off the top of the pump assembly. Put on a new hose and clamp, secured everything down, and now my SVX runs again!

Woo! Thanks guys!

svxistentialist 12-20-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 516672)
We have a winner!

When I replaced the fuel pump, I obviously forgot to put the metal clamp back on the hose, and it came right off the top of the pump assembly. Put on a new hose and clamp, secured everything down, and now my SVX runs again!

Woo! Thanks guys!

:eek: OK, :eek: OK, what do I win, what do I win!!!:eek:

:);):D

Nice one Scott, glad it was an easy inexpensive fix.

{Hey, make double-sure you seal that top plate correctly back on the tank, y'hear? You don't need fumes or leaks under the back seat.:rolleyes:;)}

Joe:)

Wikedjuggalo 12-20-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 516672)
We have a winner!

Woo! Thanks guys!

Congratz now go drive it 300 or so miles and put a smile on your face. I know when I drive my svx I get happy lol.

Scott 12-20-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 516676)
:eek: OK, :eek: OK, what do I win, what do I win!!!:eek:

:);):D

Nice one Scott, glad it was an easy inexpensive fix.

{Hey, make double-sure you seal that top plate correctly back on the tank, y'hear? You don't need fumes or leaks under the back seat.:rolleyes:;)}

Joe:)

Yeah, getting the whole thing back in place was a bit tricky, but it's tight as a duck's butt now.

As for your prize. You win the satisfaction of helping a less knowledgeable forum member! Hahahaha