The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Quality time in a WRX. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13349)

Subafreak 09-22-2003 07:11 PM

Quality time in a WRX.

I got to drive an 02 WRX home today to look for a customer run complaint. This is really the first time i'v got some good seat time in a WRX , and driving one on the same roads I take to work and back every day really helps to make a good comparison to my SVX. So I think it lacks in power delivery under 4,000rpms but overall the speed and acceleration are about a match. The road holding seemed about the same but I love the suspension on the WRX, I know it has more travel than an SVX and I think that was my favorite part. In spots where my SVX would hit the bump stops the WRX would just suck it up and hold the road. It makes it feel very stable when you hit thoes mid corner bumps. To bad is't still ugly.

So Porter... You got any prices on that suspension kit yet?

Landshark 09-22-2003 07:49 PM

Re: Quality time in a WRX.

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
So I think it lacks in power delivery under 4,000rpms but overall the speed and acceleration are about a match.
that WRX must really be ill - my wife's is MUCH faster than the SVX. the acceleration feels like its exponential, not even a close race. i do have an intake and the 3/16th mod on it, but that's it.

i'll agree on the suspension - its an almost perfect blend of 'tight, but not too tight'.

Tim 09-22-2003 07:58 PM

The '04 we had for 2 days felt pretty gutless to me. It was an auto though, but it felt pretty torqueless until you reach 4000 when you feel a surge of torque.

I like how the WRX handled, it seemed to be better than the svx, i guess because its much lighter and my struts could probably use replacement. I get a lot of lean on corners.

Subafreak 09-22-2003 08:06 PM

Re: Re: Quality time in a WRX.

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark

that WRX must really be ill - my wife's is MUCH faster than the SVX. the acceleration feels like its exponential, not even a close race. i do have an intake and the 3/16th mod on it, but that's it.

i'll agree on the suspension - its an almost perfect blend of 'tight, but not too tight'.

Hmm. well this one is bone stock and driven hard but I think it was running fine the whole time, seems the complaint was no power over 4,000rpm (like the thing hits a rev limiter) and the idle was all over the place when it did this. It also had a code in it for an idle control problem but I erased the code and it hasn't come back yet. Don't for get I do have a 5speed SVX so it's a little more responsive than your avrage slushey SVX.

BTW: What is the 3/16th mod?

Landshark 09-22-2003 08:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Quality time in a WRX.

Quote:

Hmm. well this one is bone stock and driven hard but I think it was running fine the whole time, seems the complaint was no power over 4,000rpm (like the thing hits a rev limiter) and the idle was all over the place when it did this. It also had a code in it for an idle control problem but I erased the code and it hasn't come back yet. Don't for get I do have a 5speed SVX so it's a little more responsive than your avrage slushey SVX.

BTW: What is the 3/16th mod?

don't forget that my wife's WRX is an auto, too. :) the computers in those cars really seem to adapt to your driving style. i have to wring it out a little after my wife has it for a few weeks.

3/16 mod:
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...?threadid=1564

you gotta love what this mod can do for $1.50! :)

Subafreak 09-22-2003 09:34 PM

Hmmm. I have a bunch of thoes at the garage, Looks like i'm gona have to drive this thing one more day.

GreenMarine 09-23-2003 11:59 AM

Subafreak--- The 3/16th mod is where you replace one of the vaccume hoses running to the wastegate on the turbo with a little bigger hose... It allows you to get nearly full boost in first gear and about 16 lbs in the others... I think that is it anyway... I saw and rode in a WRX with this mod the last time that I was at the Dragon... Awesome how much stronger it feels with that done to it!!!

Subafreak 09-23-2003 08:23 PM

Yeah Landshark had a pretty informative link on that last post. I did the mod tonight, and the car was running well but it's kinda hard to tell with out a boost gage to really watch.

GreenMarine 09-24-2003 08:18 AM

Cool, do ya think it is running any stronget naw Subafreak???

Subafreak 09-24-2003 06:07 PM

Hard to tell, but it really runs like crap in the morning. This thing is going to piss me off.:mad:

Subafreak 09-26-2003 07:29 PM

Hmmm. cleaning the IAC seems to have fixed it's prob. Anyway it's for sale. Kids willing to take a loss, still ows like 20K, car has 51K on it, 02 WRX black, with 3/16th mod.:) Any buyers?

Landshark 09-27-2003 10:54 AM

hey Freak,
any idea what the labor time would be for cleaning out the IAC valve/throttle body on the SVX?

Subafreak 09-27-2003 02:49 PM

More than it cost's to do it in a WRX. I think it's something you could handle Alan, all you got to do is pull off the T-body and then pull of the IAC to clean it.

Landshark 09-27-2003 05:17 PM

Quote:

I think it's something you could handle Alan, all you got to do is pull off the T-body and then pull of the IAC to clean it.
i just don't have the time (or energy, if i do have the time. :) ) so what's all involved - i don't even know what the IAC looks like - just that its inside the throttle body. does it need adjusted somehow when you put it back, like the TPS? i thought i heard that on here somewhere.

Subafreak 09-28-2003 07:47 AM

The IAC is acctually under the T-body. You just have to remove the plactic intake tube, take off the throttle cables and unhook the elec connectors for the TPS and IAC, unhook the vacume lines on the top and the air tube the runs to the IAC. There are also two coolant hoses that run through it, if you just clamp them off with some type of nonharming clamping device, you can unhook them with out spilling coolant all over. Then you just remove the 6 12mm bolts that hold it on, and once you get that off you pull the 4 10mm bolts that hold the IAC on. See easy.:D

The IAC is adjutable but not any part that you have to mess with to pull and clean it.