The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stereo wiring question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11152)

floatingkiwi 06-04-2003 02:18 AM

Stereo wiring question

Gidday all

I'm doing the head unit wireup deal, like all you others, and have sussed out most of the wires in the 20 pin connector that goes into the factory unit. A couple still bother me though, wonder if anyone can help....

1) 14 pink - goes to the "Time Control Unit"and also goes to the clock. Is this the dimmer circuit wire?? I don't seem to be able to reconcile a time control function with any of the radio functions!!

2) 16 Black/white stripe - dunno what this is.

I have the factory CD player with audio controls on the steering wheel. How do the controls tie in with the factory unit? I've got a suspicion that 16 is something to do with this.

Can't find a wiring harness here either (in NZ) that will fit, and I don't really want to start cutting them all!

Cheers all

Matt

floatingkiwi 06-04-2003 02:48 AM

Problem solved!

Thanks to SVXDC for his superb document regarding all these things. http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/Audio...ReceiverWiring
I guess (even thinking wishfully) that there is no way to utilise the steering wheel satellite controls??

Matt

SVXdc 06-09-2003 10:57 PM

You're quite welcome, Matt! :)

It's too bad you didn't ask this about 3 weeks ago -- I have some friends who are visiting NZ right now; I could have sent one of my SVX harnesses down with them. (I've been wondering why nobody outside the US has even inquired about them)

As for the satellite buttons on the steering wheel, just a wild guess, but undoubtedly they use that single wire to send a serial pulse stream, like an IR remote control, only wired. So if you really wanted to make it work, you could build a little box with a microprocessor that reads the signals from the steering wheel and then translates and retransmits them as IR to an after-market radio that has an IR remote.

floatingkiwi 06-15-2003 01:50 AM

Hmmmmm...

I think you've just given an Engineer a challenge!! (However, I must admit that my skills will probably not be up to the challenge - I am a Mechanical eng and not an Electrical one!! Bugger...) I was thinking of swapping the steering wheel into my mothers SVX but she has the Airbag and I would say there'll be a lot of different guts in there.

Cheers

Matt

kuoh 06-15-2003 10:23 AM

Or just buy an aftermarket head that has a steering wheel remote. The Pioneer in my SVX works great with it.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXdc
As for the satellite buttons on the steering wheel, just a wild guess, but undoubtedly they use that single wire to send a serial pulse stream, like an IR remote control, only wired. So if you really wanted to make it work, you could build a little box with a microprocessor that reads the signals from the steering wheel and then translates and retransmits them as IR to an after-market radio that has an IR remote.

alacrity024 06-15-2003 10:44 AM

do y'all think it would be possible to buy a steering wheel from overseas and connect the remote control buttons to a USDM SVX stereo?

-adam

paddlesnz 06-15-2003 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024
do y'all think it would be possible to buy a steering wheel from overseas and connect the remote control buttons to a USDM SVX stereo?

-adam

No because the JDM steering wheel with audio controls doesn't fit the US models.

Green1995SVX 06-15-2003 05:24 PM

The JDM model with the radio controls does not have an airbag. because of this, it won't fit because the USDM airbag clockspring will be in the way on the steering column.

Mike

SVXdc 06-15-2003 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024
And to nail the idea shut, I'm fairly sure that the US stereo won't be compatible with the steering wheel buttons, since the radio uses a real pot for the volume control, instead of digital up/down buttons. I'd be very surprised if that pin on the back of the radio (pin 16) is even connected to anything inside the radio.