The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVXY needs brake work (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56197)

LarryIII 12-23-2010 03:39 PM

SVXY needs brake work

The other day I noticed that my '92 pearl SVX, "SVXY" had the brake warning light on the dash on all of the time. Yesterday I put DOT 3 brake fluid in the reservior. This morning while driving I thought that the brake pedal was low and the warning light came back on. Driving home braking took more leg pressure and the pedal was real soft when I got home. I parked the car on the street and put fluid in the reservoir and pumped the brakes. Then I pulled the car onto my driveway. parked and covered it with the car cover. I walked back to the street and sure enough there was a nice new puddle of brake fluid. It came from the area of the right rear tire. Since it's too darn cold & windy to get under the car, I'll resict driving it and keep filling it with brake fluid until I can get it on an inside lift in a week or two.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all SVXers.

benebob 12-23-2010 03:51 PM

Re: SVXY needs brake work

Larry, just be sure it isn't getting on the bodywork. If it would need a caliper Autozone sells reman ones for nearly as close to the same price as a rebuild kit unless prices shot up in the past 2 years.

Geoff 12-23-2010 04:39 PM

I had the same problem...after awhile, the line just tore open and the brakes were completely gone - luckily it happened in my driveway. As long as it's not driven, should be good. :)

svxfiles 12-23-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryIII (Post 665197)
I walked back to the street and sure enough there was a nice new puddle of brake fluid. It came from the area of the right rear tire.

Hi Larry,
If the next puddle is in front of the right rear tire, then it is usually a rusted out brake line where the cad plated line goes into the cab through a rubber boot that catches all of the salt and sand.
This is not too bad.:)
If the puddle is behind the wheel, or from on top of the gas tank, it is still a rusted out line but much harder to replace properly.
I would not drive it except into your garage.
On the bright side you did not find your brake problem driving down a mountain at 70 in traffic!:eek:
Tom
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.
Say hi to Rosie for us.

SVX_MY_BABY 12-24-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 665210)
I would not drive it except into your garage.
On the bright side you did not find your brake problem driving down a mountain at 70 in traffic!:eek:
Tom
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.

I'LL SECOND THAT.

I had the dubious pleasure of having my brake line on another car give out on a very steep hill in downtown Halifax. 2 traffic lights and then the open harbour were ahead of me. Pedal went right to the floor. Thank God cars have dual systems as a back up these days. Rapid pumping and the hand brake got me stopped.

RojoRocket 12-24-2010 04:41 PM

Quick question. Why is it assumed the failure is in the hard line? Isn't a rubber hose failure more likely?:confused:

Glenn

oab_au 12-24-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RojoRocket (Post 665261)
Quick question. Why is it assumed the failure is in the hard line? Isn't a rubber hose failure more likely?:confused:

Glenn

Rubber doesn't rust, Glenn.:D

Harvey.

svxfiles 12-24-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RojoRocket (Post 665261)

Glenn

I have never seen a brake hose failure.
I have repaired bunches of rust through conditions.

RojoRocket 12-24-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 665264)

Guess I'd best give Blackberry a good look over then, as she came out of the rust belt. :eek:
Thanks Tom, (and Harvey:lol:)
Glenn

North Ursalia 12-24-2010 07:20 PM

My right rear hard line failed over the rear diff carrier the day I registered it. I was stopping for a bus that thankfully did not have the red flashers on and the stop sign out yet. I let the mechanic deal with that as it's too damn cold in NH to be working outside. All the other lines were perfectly fine- my 95 Impreza L had the same hard line fail on it.

SoCal LS-L 12-25-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 665264)

I have... my left rear hose started leaking like a sieve and gave me a soft pedal. I replaced both rear hoses. According to the Chaplins Subaru, there were only TWO left in existence after my order :(

svxfiles 12-25-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 665283)
I have... my left rear hose started leaking like a sieve and gave me a soft pedal. I replaced both rear hoses. According to the Chaplins Subaru, there were only TWO left in existence after my order :(

Not a problem.
Dayle at Motorsports Warehouse has Goodrich stainless steel lines for about $100.00 for all four.:)
Actually they are on sale for $89.00:cool:
http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...elbraidbr.html
Stainless steel brake lines are my second modification to any SVX!
And imho the Goodridge lines are the best out there!
So, send Dayle money now!:)

SoCal LS-L 12-25-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 665291)
Not a problem.
Dayle at Motorsports Warehouse has Goodrich stainless steel lines for about $100.00 for all four.:)
Actually they are on sale for $89.00:cool:
http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...elbraidbr.html
Stainless steel brake lines are my second modification to any SVX!
And imho the Goodridge lines are the best out there!
So, send Dayle money now!:)

Thats why I love this place :D;)

jeffs92svx 12-25-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 665283)

When I got my ball joint there were 22 left in the county and now there are 21. Someone who has the ability needs to get a mold or whatever made or influence someone who can. Merry cristmas.

svxfiles 12-25-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 665304)
Thats why I love this place :D;)

:confused:Because we share information, or because we are looking for solutions to tha problems that we find?