The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   transmission fluid type? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48883)

newkid17 01-26-2009 11:47 AM

transmission fluid type?

is there a certian type of transmission fluid that i need? i know it needs 10 quarts.

Green1995SVX 01-26-2009 11:50 AM

Re: transmission fluid type?

I've heard a lot of good things about the Genuine Subaru ATF. I have BG Products fluid in mine (original 1992 transmission - never rebuilt) and have no complaints.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html

newkid17 01-26-2009 12:21 PM

so it really dont matter what goes in it?

Green1995SVX 01-26-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newkid17 (Post 584150)

Overall, it DOESN'T matter, as long as it's ATF that's compatible with Subaru transmissions. Many people recommend at least using a good synthetic fluid. I use Mobil1 products in my Audi with good results. They're available at any auto parts store.

Freeman 01-26-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newkid17 (Post 584150)

Nope, toss kool-aid in there!

(I'd wait for more input. A lot of people are very particular about what they put in their car)

Green1995SVX 01-26-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 584154)
Nope, toss kool-aid in there!

HAHA! That's as good as "juice-box".

Freeman 01-26-2009 12:41 PM

Ha! I'm sometimes funny when I make an effort.

dcarrb 01-26-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newkid17 (Post 584143)
is there a certian type of transmission fluid that i need? i know it needs 10 quarts.

Type matters, brand doesn't. Use a Dexron fluid.

dcb

Bobb 01-26-2009 09:43 PM

Hi everyone, I would just like to point out that fluid levels are sometimes given for an empty transmission. When you drain the transmission on the car, you can't drain all the fluid. I suggest you measure what you drain out and replace with a like amount. An over filled tranny is not a happy tranny! Take care and happy changing, BOBB

Crazy_pilot 01-26-2009 09:59 PM

Dexron III or compatible multi-use tranny fluid is what you want. I just grab some Quaker State multi-vehicle ATF off the shelf to top up my power steering and tranny as needed.

liamrh 01-26-2009 11:30 PM

Subaru ATF or Redline D4, maybe high-temp.

Royal purple and amsoil have been failing their mcpherson(sp) and shear/shock tests horribly lately.

Crazy_pilot 01-27-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liamrh (Post 584289)
Subaru ATF or Redline D4, maybe high-temp.

Royal purple and amsoil have been failing their mcpherson(sp) and shear/shock tests horribly lately.

The only thing about synthetic fluids is that they WILL find leaks. The worst case scenario for that would be an internal leak from the tranny into the front diff, resulting in you needing a new diff. (ATF and gear oil aren't the best of friends)

liamrh 01-27-2009 10:00 PM

Yeah, so what is your point. Most of them are synth anyhow, there is seal conditioners, and ....?

Your pretty much stuck with it for the most part, and the subaru stuff is all, christ, dex IV now?

longassname 01-28-2009 01:57 PM

That is exceptionally good advice. These transmissions run HOOOOOT if overfilled. I suspect many of the blown SVX transmissions we've seen were cooked after being overfilled. It can be easy to missread the dipstick so I pay particular attention to making sure I get it right--after all the consequences are dire.

The best transmisison fluid you can run is the Subaru ATF which is very inexpensive plus one bottle of lube guard atf protectant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobb (Post 584270)
Hi everyone, I would just like to point out that fluid levels are sometimes given for an empty transmission. When you drain the transmission on the car, you can't drain all the fluid. I suggest you measure what you drain out and replace with a like amount. An over filled tranny is not a happy tranny! Take care and happy changing, BOBB

longassname 01-28-2009 01:59 PM

no subaru carries different atf for the new boxes and the 4eat's. The correct fluid for our boxes is labled atf/power steering fluid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by liamrh (Post 584521)
Yeah, so what is your point. Most of them are synth anyhow, there is seal conditioners, and ....?

Your pretty much stuck with it for the most part, and the subaru stuff is all, christ, dex IV now?