The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   belts (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45878)

barnett 327 08-18-2008 07:49 PM

belts

Can someone direct me in how to replace the power steering serpentine belt on a 95 six?

Thanks

SVXMAN2001 08-18-2008 07:55 PM

Re: belts

One of the easiest jobs to do...

unlock the idler pulley nut (if looking at the engine, its the pulley down and to the left), THEN turn the idler pulley adjuster screw (the long bolt is what creates the tension, cannot remember at the moment whether clockwise tightens or vice versa)...but that is pretty much it. I am sure others will chime in to clarify.

ensteele 08-18-2008 08:34 PM

Check the How-To Documents to find out more. :)

kwren 08-19-2008 12:07 AM

clockwise tightens belt tension on the long adjustment screw. Don't forget to tighten the belt idler pulley nut after everything is back together and adjusted properly.:)

Piece of cake

coco-puff 12-18-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 560591)
clockwise tightens belt tension on the long adjustment screw. Don't forget to tighten the belt idler pulley nut after everything is back together and adjusted properly.:)

Piece of cake

what if the tensioner bolt thing doesnt work...my pulley's stuck.

SoCal LS-L 12-18-2008 08:05 PM

Coco, you DID loosen the pulley nut itself first right?? If you dont, the pulley tensioner bolt wont move it at all. If you did then maybe its a little rusted... its ok to tap the tensioner bolt lightly with a hammer to free it.

kwren 12-19-2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 560591)

Piece of cake

of course it works if you loosen the idler pulley bolt 1st. loosening the idler lets the idler pulley slide up or down when the long bolt is turned and not loosening the idler pulley bolt keeps it from sliding up or down.
if you don't loosen the idler pulley bolt, you might strip the long bolt threads.

kwren 12-19-2008 01:29 AM

I would also lubricate the long bolt. It acts like a gear puller and you know they can be ruined of not lubricated.

Freeman 12-19-2008 06:48 AM

I remember the first time I tried to do this myself. I was in effing Pennsylvania and ended up calling OT and had him on the phone for over and hour. I'm sure he was ready to kill me..

svxfiles 12-19-2008 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 577747)
I remember the first time I tried to do this myself. I was in effing Pennsylvania and ended up calling OT and had him on the phone for over and hour. I'm sure he was ready to kill me..

Bret,
Don't be silly.
I'm STILL ready to kill you...:D

JK