The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   cam sensor (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42420)

cruisen_15 12-19-2007 11:17 PM

cam sensor

what would be the symptoms of a bad cam sensor, im not getting any CEL.

btw, people that have been watching my post.. i changed my oil, i was like almost twice the rated oil, and after i put the new oil in i used mobil 10w 30, and the porsch 944 oil filter... she runs runs much better!! but something about timing is going wrong.

Wikedjuggalo 12-20-2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisen_15 (Post 516549)

btw, people that have been watching my post.. i changed my oil, i was like almost twice the rated oil, and after i put the new oil in i used mobil 10w 30, and the porsch 944 oil filter... she runs runs much better!! but something about timing is going wrong.

What Oil was used?

cruisen_15 12-20-2007 12:43 PM

what do you mean by "what oil" , i said i put in mobil- 10w 30.. conventional-5000

Wikedjuggalo 12-20-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisen_15 (Post 516549)

That right there.

cruisen_15 12-20-2007 01:22 PM

uhh, well i know there was 2 qts. of valvoline 10w 30, and the rest i dont know... baught the car a few months ago with full oil... i doubt it was synthetic conidering he NEVER drove the thing...

man, i hope the 944 filter works better i paid twice as much for it and im on a budget right now >,>

cruisen_15 12-20-2007 06:08 PM

i went and looked at the cam sesnor, it is extremely corrodid... it look very awful, so i went ahead and unbolted it... i got it out along with the sensor holder... the battery acid got through the metal holder and took off all the paint on the sensor... im using wd-40 right now to get the acid off and im sanding the metal, is the sensor supposed to have that paint on it or can i just leave it bear metal, and i hope the wd-40 im using wont harm it :o

this is the sensor with that dark green paint on it..
http://www.partsamerica.com/product_...e/wa1428-1.jpg

Osilith 12-23-2007 08:17 AM

Hey I just recently put a new engine in my car and the timing was all wrong too...ended up being the cam sensor...took an old one off the original engine and it worked...also think about cams crankshaft and the thing that supplies the fire for the sparkplug...sorry don't know the name of it off the top of me head.

Dessertrunner 12-23-2007 04:52 PM

Don't use the old sensor they are very exacting in there design you need to get a new one Crusien 15. It will be cheap insurance as they can do a lot of damage when they fail totally.
Tony

gsodonis 12-23-2007 05:25 PM

Replace it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessertrunner (Post 517281)
Don't use the old sensor they are very exacting in there design you need to get a new one Crusien 15. It will be cheap insurance as they can do a lot of damage when they fail totally.
Tony

When my cam sensor failed, it took out the main cat. Unburned gas from failed combustion exploded in the cat upon contact with the hot substrate, causing the ceramic catalyst to shatter. The new Y-pipe I had made was 3x the cost of the sensor. Just replace it!

cruisen_15 12-23-2007 11:23 PM

who knows the best price for one?? mine has dents on the sensor part, looks like someone took a nail and a hammer to it and took a good wack to it.... and looks like the sensor got to close to the rigged piece that spins with the pulley... id buy a nice used one!!

Myetball 12-24-2007 08:14 PM

Cam sensors from some other Subaru's will work. I pulled several from a junkyard run many moons ago. Had to modify the mounting tab slightly on the one I used and may have had to swap plugs (don't remember) but internally they're all the same. If you can get it in the hole, get it to bolt down, and get it plugged in, you're good to go.