The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   latest Koni/GC build-up pics (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41096)

mbtoloczko 10-04-2007 08:49 PM

latest Koni/GC build-up pics

3 Attachment(s)
I just finished up a high-end Koni/GC build for a customer. Turned out very nice, so I thought I'd post a few pics (see below). Here are the specs on the build-up:

- Strut bodies degreased and sandblasted
- Strut spring perches cut down, washers welded on, drilled for Koni inserts
- Strut bodies primered and painted
- Strut bodies sealed with silicon sealant after Koni insert install
- New OEM SVX front strut mounts
- Additional grease applied to front mount bearing
- New performance rear strut mounts (much stiffer than stock)
- Strut mounts shimmed for proper clearance and upper spring perch support
- Spring height adjusted to customer's desired ride height
- Rear Koni inserts preset to 1/3 stiff
- GC springs 330f/280r
- Will be installing custom dust shield on front strut mount top

I'm currently discussing with the customer about the possibility of installing some strut shaft boots to help protect the shaft seal from dirt/debris.

Crazypolo95 10-04-2007 11:20 PM

how much will it be for this set?

Dessertrunner 10-05-2007 01:37 AM

Look great do you have any suggestions for a tougher top strut mount as the standard SVX ones can't take the pounding. Had a look at the rally ones but they will be to noisey.
Tony

AFBeefcake 10-05-2007 07:39 AM

Nice. I allmost had a set like that, but porter messed that up :mad:

mbtoloczko 10-05-2007 09:32 AM

Crazypolo95: Cost is around $1675 + your old struts.

Tony: The rear mounts shown should be tough enough for offroad duty. I haven't researched a replacement for the front because they have been good enough for road duty, but I would think that one of the Gruppe-N mounts with a hard rubber bushing could be adapted. They'd be louder than stock, but shouldn't be horribly noisey like a pillow-ball setup.

AF: You never got the parts or your money back from Porter?

SVXRide 10-05-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko (Post 497963)
I just finished up a high-end Koni/GC build for a customer. Turned out very nice, so I thought I'd post a few pics (see below). Here are the specs on the build-up:

- Strut bodies degreased and sandblasted
- Strut spring perches cut down, washers welded on, drilled for Koni inserts
- Strut bodies primered and painted
- Strut bodies sealed with silicon sealant after Koni insert install
- New OEM SVX front strut mounts
- Additional grease applied to front mount bearing
- New performance rear strut mounts (much stiffer than stock)
- Strut mounts shimmed for proper clearance and upper spring perch support
- Spring height adjusted to customer's desired ride height
- Rear Koni inserts preset to 1/3 stiff
- GC springs 330f/280r
- Will be installing custom dust shield on front strut mount top

I'm currently discussing with the customer about the possibility of installing some strut shaft boots to help protect the shaft seal from dirt/debris.

Mychailo,
Very, very nice! looks like you did a little more welding on the front end link brackets (?)...can you PM me about the "sealed with silicon" and the "shimmed for proper clearance" aspects.
-Bill

Chiketkd 10-05-2007 09:52 AM

Great looking suspension set-up Mychailo. I'm sure your client will be pleased.

I'm looking forward to getting some koni inserts this winter for my DS WRX (will have to stay on stock springs though).

mbtoloczko 10-05-2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd (Post 498042)
Great looking suspension set-up Mychailo. I'm sure your client will be pleased.

I'm looking forward to getting some koni inserts this winter for my DS WRX (will have to stay on stock springs though).

Hey Chike,

Still running in stock class, eh? :-) Have you started tuning your car with ECUFlash yet?

AFBeefcake 10-05-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko (Post 498037)

AF: You never got the parts or your money back from Porter?

It was a good thing I didn't send him any money, but he never sent my strut cores back. I was trying to be helpful and send them to him in advance so he could build the kits and I got screewed.:mad: Then a year later he told me a story and said he would send them right out. I never got them.:mad:

wawazat?? 10-05-2007 12:31 PM

Kinda wussy spring rates doncha think Mychailo;) Nice looking assembly however.

AF-If you need a set of housings, I may be able to help as I should have two complete sets from the cars I've torn down. Cover shipping and a case of decent beer and I'll get you set already gutted. Interested?

AFBeefcake 10-05-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wawazat?? (Post 498082)
Kinda wussy spring rates doncha think Mychailo;) Nice looking assembly however.

AF-If you need a set of housings, I may be able to help as I should have two complete sets from the cars I've torn down. Cover shipping and a case of decent beer and I'll get you set already gutted. Interested?

Thanks for the offer. Normally I would jump on this, but I am broke right now :( and I know there is no way that I could come up with the money for the konis and GC's. It sucks.
I just hope to have the money by the time the suspension group buy goes thought and get that setup.

mbtoloczko 10-05-2007 02:21 PM

Yeah, it turned out nice. I figured that there should be at least one more picture of a set of trick Koni/GCs on the network. ;-)

How's the handling with your spring rate combo? Seems to be a larger difference in front/rear rate than what I've seen by others. Is that rear spring 9" or 10" long?

sicksubie 10-05-2007 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFBeefcake (Post 498110)
Thanks for the offer. Normally I would jump on this, but I am broke right now :( and I know there is no way that I could come up with the money for the konis and GC's. It sucks.
I just hope to have the money by the time the suspension group buy goes thought and get that setup.

The group buy is not going through it looks like:mad:

NikFu S. 10-05-2007 03:38 PM

Yeah since the Megan Racing is out sign me up for the Konis again. :/

I should be able to afford them sometime next year after I rebound from the 5 speed swap. :tard:

Crazypolo95 10-05-2007 05:59 PM

hey what kind of top mouths are those?. and how much was the set over all. Cuz i just may want some