The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do not use the factory trunk jack! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32877)

Green1995SVX 04-25-2006 12:13 PM

Do not use the factory trunk jack!

These horror stories have been posted on here before about how unsafe the svx's trunk jack is. They collapse all the time it seems, so much so, that it's earned the name "danger jack" around my household. Even so, I was switching the wheels from my sold black svx to our new white one, and only had one decent jack, so i decided to try my luck with the danger jack. Well, my luck ran out. The jack bent and collapsed under the weight of the SVX, and when it did, it flew up around and really messed up the fender.

http://www.phobia.net/~mdavis/miscpics/DSC03078.JPG

http://www.phobia.net/~mdavis/miscpics/DSC03080.JPG

Mike621 04-25-2006 12:16 PM

:( :( :( :( :(

At least it was the fender that already needed replacing...

Hocrest 04-25-2006 12:34 PM

Did you have the wheels chocked? Did the car shift and cause the collapse or did it just decide to crunch???

Green1995SVX 04-25-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Did you have the wheels chocked? Did the car shift and cause the collapse or did it just decide to crunch???

I'm not entirely sure what happened. My neighbor was doing the switch and I was in the other room when it actually happened.

Electrophil 04-25-2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX
These horror stories have been posted on here before about how unsafe the svx's trunk jack is. The jack bent and collapsed under the weight of the SVX, and when it did, it flew up around and really messed up the fender.

:eek: :eek: Oh my gosh!! :eek: :eek:

I never knew that! I'm glad I've never tried to use one before.

Dude!! Bad break!! :eek: :(

n00b on demand 04-25-2006 01:01 PM

wow that really sucks man

DreamingOfSpeed 04-25-2006 01:01 PM

Has anyone written to the NHTSA about the jacks? If they get enough complaints about them and any injuries they will do an investigation and recall if needed. I've read their complaint files about the SVX and i've never seen anything about the jack. I'll post a link later for those who want to complain.

I didnt know there was a problem with it. When we jack up my car i always worry b/c we use jacks that are rated for just under the weight of the svx. I thought using the trunk jack would be better b/c subaru designed if for the weight of a subaru! I think i'll just get another heavy duty jack for the the svx and pitch the trunk jack. (not like i'm ever going to need it to change the tire on the side of the road!)

Speedklix 04-25-2006 01:15 PM

I really hate the design of our jacks... but it really shouldn't "collapse" unless the jack was't 90 degrees to pavment. The car rolling slightly could put it at such an angle that the jack bent off to one side. (which i'm sure is why someone asked if the wheels where choked) It is like jack stands.. they can support a lot of vertical weight, but are usless on their side. But still... with a regular jack (even scissor) this would probably not be an issue.

Sorry to hear about your fender, hope the wheel was on and no one was injured.

AppStateSVX 04-25-2006 01:25 PM

wow, good thing I never used the one off my old SVX, it was old and rusted anyways

SubaSteevo 04-25-2006 01:32 PM

I had the same thing happen to me, ended up putting a little hole in the floor of my garage from where the rotor landed

mikecg 04-25-2006 01:34 PM

Looks like a good start to a wide body SVX. :eek:

I'd be tracking down the designer to kill.

Mike621 04-25-2006 01:48 PM

Yeah... ive had an SVX begin to fold on me from jacking up my silver parts car..

Ours might be the next participant in the "patches of mismatched pearl club":rolleyes:

Hopefully not....

Eh, that fender was b0rked anyway....

Green1995SVX 04-25-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
I had the same thing happen to me, ended up putting a little hole in the floor of my garage from where the rotor landed

Same here. Nice little chunk out of my garage floor from the rotor. :rolleyes:

Green1995SVX 04-25-2006 02:00 PM

I'm taking the car today to a shop that has some sort of electronic optical color matching so they can make the proper paint color for the car. Hopefully that will work. Already have a replacment fender.

Pure_Insanity8 04-25-2006 03:41 PM

On the bright side, at least you were pretty much ready to replace the fender already and you weren't under the car.

I wonder if it is just the way the jacks were designed for Subies in the '90's. I was changing the oil in my stepmother's Legacy wagon, using the emergency jack, and it popped out... while I was under it. That scared me so bad I almost pooped myself.:o I bet there weren't wheels chocks in place, I'm pretty sure they would have saved me a heart attack.

So, how many SVX's is this? It feels like you're trying to obtain as many as Earl, just not keeping the one you already have.;) 4th... 5th?