The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   O2 Sensor tool (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12681)

JLittell 08-18-2003 04:04 PM

O2 Sensor tool

Anyone have an O2 Sensor removal tool that I can borrow?? Do I really need one to replace my O2 sensors?

lee 08-18-2003 07:40 PM

I've not done this, but my understanding is the tool is needed only if you want to retain the wiring. I'm sure a search would uncover this.

From the Alldata file I have, the main thing seems to be use of a good penetrating spray (I recommend PB Blaster). Loosen about 10 degrees, then spray again. Sees the threads can be hosed up by overzealous use of tools without the provide provision for loosening up the sensor first, i.e., penetrating spray).

ensteele 08-18-2003 08:47 PM

I have one. You can borrow it as well. The only problem is that by the time you pay for the shipping, you could buy your own. :) They are around $10.00, but for you John, I will sell you mine for much more! ;)

awdsvx 08-19-2003 06:53 AM

O2 Sensor Tool

Rencently in the last 2 months I have changed both O2 sensors in my SVX while at the same time installed a tranny cooler and filter. I was down there anyway. I removed both O2 sensors with a just a squirt of PB Blaster penerating oil and large vise grips. It was easy to remove once the rust was loosened. As far as the electrical connection. You have to figure out how it is connected and once you figure how it works, all you need is a very small flat tip screw driver and carefully separate the connection. So I think of that tool as a bunch of B.S. that you need it to take off the O2 sensors. Yea right! Saved $10.00 bucks, priceless:D :D

b3lha 08-19-2003 08:29 AM

Special tool?

I removed mine with a can of WD40 and a spanner - no special tool required. They came out really easy.

When you put it back in, connect the wires first. Then locate the sensor in the hole, turn it about 6 turns anti clockwise to twist up the wires, so that they untwist when you screw it into the hole.

It took me ages to figure out the wiring scheme - there are two white wires and one black wire. Presumably, as long as you get the black wire right, it doesn't matter which way round the other two go.

Phil.

svx_commuter 08-19-2003 09:27 AM

I used a 7/8 inch box wrench. Disconnected the wire and slide the box wrench over the wire. On the Impreza I did yesterday with the universal O2 and large CONNECTION BOX, I used an open end to put the new one in.

ensteele 08-19-2003 10:39 AM

All the tool is, is a socket the proper size and a slot for the wires to stick out of. Yes, it can be done with other things, but it is still handy to have. I have spent far more on other tools in my toolbox. :)

awdsvx 08-20-2003 06:45 AM

When you put it back in, connect the wires first???

When you put it back in, connect the wires first.

If you connect the wire first, the wires will start twisting when you start tightening the O2 Sensors back on to the exhaust. I connected the O2 Sensors first to the exhaust and then ran up the wires to the connectors so the wires won't be binded.;)

Earthworm 10-10-2003 08:27 PM

Re: When you put it back in, connect the wires first???

Quote:

Originally posted by awdsvx
When you put it back in, connect the wires first.

If you connect the wire first, the wires will start twisting when you start tightening the O2 Sensors back on to the exhaust. I connected the O2 Sensors first to the exhaust and then ran up the wires to the connectors so the wires won't be binded.;)

Isn't that backwards? It sounds like what you are trying to say is to install the sensors on the exhaust first then plug them in right?

b3lha 10-13-2003 12:46 AM

Re: Special tool?

Guys, perhaps you need to read my previous post again...

Quote:

Originally posted by b3lha
When you put it back in, connect the wires first. Then locate the sensor in the hole, turn it about 6 turns anti clockwise to twist up the wires, so that they untwist when you screw it into the hole.

I am saying to twist the wires up the wrong way FIRST so that they UNTWIST as you screw in the sensor.

I found it much easier than connecting them up afterwards when you only have about an inch of play in the wires.

Phil.

svx_commuter 10-13-2003 07:38 AM

Re: Re: Special tool?

Quote:

Originally posted by b3lha
Guys, perhaps you need to read my previous post again...

I am saying to twist the wires up the wrong way FIRST so that they UNTWIST as you screw in the sensor.

I found it much easier than connecting them up afterwards when you only have about an inch of play in the wires.

Phil.

I would not reverse twist the wires first but I do know what you mean about the connector. It is a PITA. I do not like the O2 connectors at all. Everytime I have to deal with them it is a pain. That locking Tang that has to get lifted while trying to hold the connector and pull it apart is a PITA. Going together is not much fun because once I get my hands on the two ends I can't see the connectors because my hands are in the way. Then it has to slide back into the holder that is buried under all the other stuff. I would rather take the whole engine out.:D