The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAF Question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43713)

dannmarr 03-11-2008 05:15 PM

MAF Question

1)When the MAF starts to cause trouble, can we just use one of those performance chips (resistors) sold on E-bay to temporarily bypass our problem?
Just curious. 2) Are those resitors any good to boost performance?

Trevor 03-11-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 534001)
1)When the MAF starts to cause trouble, can we just use one of those performance chips (resistors) sold on E-bay to temporarily bypass our problem?
Just curious. 2) Are those resitors any good to boost performance?

Please supply some technical information. :rolleyes:;)

svxfiles 03-11-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 534001)
1)When the MAF starts to cause trouble, can we just use one of those performance chips (resistors) sold on E-bay to temporarily bypass our problem?No.
Just curious.
2) Are those resitors any good to boost performance?No.

The resistors can alter the air/fuel ratio, but not like LANs chip.
If you richen the lean condition at the low RPMs, :)you richen the rich condition at the higher RPMs.:(
Years ago I found improvements with using an Impreza 43.4 PSI fuel pressure regulator, that would help the low end, but made the top end far too rich.
Mychailo came up with an air bypass mod that used the higher PSI regulator, and an air bypass keeping the A/F ratios clean, but did not address the timing issues like Mikes/LANs chip.:)
If you have an OBD1, just go with the chip.:)

And I'm a cheap b@stard!

Trevor 03-11-2008 10:17 PM

I now gather that the technical specification of what is being sold is, "a resistor", i.e. another con trick. :(

svxfiles 03-11-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 534100)
I now gather that the technical specification of what is being sold is, "a resistor", i.e. another con trick. :(

Short answer, yes.:(:(

However I think that they use the term, "Optomizing performance regurgitor!:D;):rolleyes:

Trevor 03-11-2008 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 534102)
Short answer, yes.:(:(

However I think that they use the term, "Optomizing performance regurgitor!:D;):rolleyes:

I wonder what it would do if inserted by the inventor, upwards and in the correct place.:confused::p:lol:

JaySVX 03-12-2008 03:27 AM

No resistor or chip will replace the functionality of a MAF. If the MAF fails, your car will not run, as resistors/chips modify what the MAF reads, but if the MAF reads nothing, nothing x something still = nothing.

dannmarr 03-12-2008 07:02 AM

From what I see on e-bay, it looks like the plug is removed from the MAF and a resistor is inserted into that plug. Am I correct?