The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   paint (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28783)

A Fake Vision 10-05-2005 04:29 PM

paint

im looking to buy laguna blue paint and get my svx painted. where do i get "Laguna blue". From subaru? or can i find it somewhere else? .. im actually concidering re-painting in Claret.
Dave

Electrophil 10-05-2005 05:11 PM

http://www.paintscratch.com/

Put your year and model at the top. Next page select svx.
Then proceed to "secure order". You don't "have" to order of course, but the prices are there.

They have the exact color for your year SVX in:

Paint Pen
Spray Can
Pint Containers
Quart Containers
Gallon Containers

Electrophil 10-05-2005 05:13 PM

To hijack his thread :D sorry.. :D

How much paint does it take to paint an SVX? Same color.

Beav 10-05-2005 05:47 PM

Personally, I'd plan on 5-6 qts. Don't forget that clear needs to be applied afterwards, it's what protects the color coat. New formulations don't provide the protection that the clear coat does.

Call around for prices. All paint vendors can supply any color. Best bet: talk to the more reputable paint shops in your area for what they consider to be the best and paint and supplier in your area. If you don't want to spend all the money for the best they can recommend what will probably be the best for what you're willing to spend.

Tim-H 10-05-2005 07:46 PM

awesome i can order a new hoodscoop now and just get the spray cans and do it myself.

Electrophil 10-05-2005 08:47 PM

6 quarts... Wow... With Paintscratch.com, and going the cheaper "by the gallon rate", that would run $800 in paint and clearcoat. :eek: :eek:

Better call Maaco!!! :D

lee 10-05-2005 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrophil
6 quarts... Wow... With Paintscratch.com, and going the cheaper "by the gallon rate", that would run $800 in paint and clearcoat. :eek: :eek:

Better call Maaco!!! :D

I don't know about paintscratch.com, but when I was considering a repaint, the local Air Force auto skills center (that gets PPG at wholesale, so...) said I should expect to pay about $400 for the good stuff (epoxy prime, plastic additive for bumpers, base & clear).

Electrophil 10-05-2005 10:55 PM

Paintscratch.com wants $294 for a gallon of base, and over a hundred for a gallon of clear. That's before flex additives, or primers, or materials. I just realized those guys may be a little overpriced. :(

SilverSpear 10-05-2005 11:21 PM

Guys do you really need 5 - 6 quarts of paint to do the SVX? :confused: Does it take that much? and how the drying is realized? Through stoves (is that what we call them in English)? or red rays like cars manufacturers... and what brands are most reputable over there for base, paint and clearcoat?

Over here we have Lechler (German Brand), RM and PPG...

Electrophil 10-05-2005 11:26 PM

DuPont rules the roost in the automotive paint world over here, with Pittsburg Paint and Glass (PPG) right there alongside them.

SilverSpear 10-05-2005 11:38 PM

Oh yeah, DuPont is also available... But is it that good? it is barely used... :confused:

Electrophil 10-05-2005 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Oh yeah, DuPont is also available... But is it that good? it is barely used... :confused:

:D :D I dunno.... I made it up. :D :D

SilverSpear 10-05-2005 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrophil
:D :D I dunno.... I made it up. :D :D

Along with your avatar? the flying pigs thing? :D :D ;)

Electrophil 10-06-2005 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Along with your avatar? the flying pigs thing? :D :D ;)

That avatar is actual true video taken at President Bush's inauguration. :D :D The Country said "When it happens", and dog gone it, it did. :D :D We are still in shock. :eek: