The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   laptop questions-considering buy (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10239)

SVXCAPE 04-22-2003 07:27 PM

laptop questions-considering buy

I am in the market for a new laptop, and ran across this one on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2724017074#war

I called and talked to one of the sales guys, and he said it's brand name stuff without the name stamped on it, direct from some manufacturer.

It comes with a one year parts and labor warranty(with optional two year $180 add on, 3 yr tot), and 24-7 tech support.

It sounds like a good deal to me, but then again , I'm not a compu geek. I just want a fast processor with a fast graphics card, and a beefy HDD, in a laptop.
I appreciate any advice, thanks

AFBeefcake 04-22-2003 07:42 PM

sounds like a good computer but it does not come with windows. You would need to buy a copy of windows XP and install it, which could be hard if you don't know what you doing.

For being new it should come with windows XP on it.
windows XP home is around $200.00.

Looked at dell and compare. i think you will find they have good prices and you'll have some one to call if something goes bad.

SVXCAPE 04-22-2003 07:54 PM

I have windows 2000 already, so won't need to buy.
will look at dell site though, thanks.:)

BLKSVX92 04-22-2003 07:56 PM

seems to be ok...how much are you looking to spend

not to much of a fan of the screen resolution, and the fact that no operating system is installed, so im not sure if you will get proper drivers for all the hardware

just saw your post, win2k is much more stable for a notebook IMO

Seraph 04-22-2003 08:01 PM

At 1600, I think you can easily get a nice tablet. My next computer needs to be a tablet.

SVXdriver_007 04-22-2003 08:44 PM

I think you could get a Dell closely equipped for close to the same but with an OS and support if anything goes wrong. I bought a fu llly loaded Dell like a year ago and have loved it since never a problem, and it wasn't much more than that.

SVXCAPE 04-22-2003 09:36 PM

THANKS !!

I looked at the 8500 notebook, and with all the options I wanted, it turned out to be a bit more expensive. There are definately pros for going with the dell, but I think i will possibly look around for a bit longer. Thanks for the info:)

oh yea, I was also checking out a laptop called the Alienware area 51 it's pretty spendy but extremely powerful, maybe if I save some more:)

Seraph 04-22-2003 09:55 PM

The best laptops that I know are as follows:

1. IBM
2. Gateway
3. Dell
4. HP

But that is for business use.

Do you know we will get a sun laptop next year? My sources told me that the device should kick royal ass. :)

L

subafan 04-22-2003 10:05 PM

since i'm not a laptop performance monger.... i tend to go for looks... yes, i'm shallow when it comes to laptops.... but my top choices are sony and fujitsu

BLKSVX92 04-22-2003 10:54 PM

if youre going for looks..cant deny the sleek and sexy look of the G4 titanium notebooks, Alienware, and Hyper Sonic

Seraph 04-22-2003 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BLKSVX92
if youre going for looks..cant deny the sleek and sexy look of the G4 titanium notebooks, Alienware, and Hyper Sonic
Yepp. Looks... Apple has that covered!

CDG 04-22-2003 11:25 PM

Just to let know, I work for IBM, and I was glad to see IBM was on the top of someones list for laptops.

Now for a shoot myself in my own foot move:
Toshiba makes some good laptops aswell, I'd say #2 after IBM.

Fact Name brand Laptops like IBM, Gateway, Compaq, Toshiba and HP are concidered Teir 1 machines, all the rest are teir 2.
This means that Teir 1 machines support everything, Teir 2 are not 100% compatible. Windows XP knows the difference between Teir1 and teir 2 machines.

If you buy a new laptop, get the one with the longest warranty.
FYI, most of the IBM and Toshiba laptops are very durable, my experience in the Computer Service industry.

zamorush 04-22-2003 11:25 PM

Quote:

I am in the market for a new laptop, and ran across this one on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=2724017074#war

I called and talked to one of the sales guys, and he said it's brand name stuff without the name stamped on it, direct from some manufacturer.

It comes with a one year parts and labor warranty(with optional two year $180 add on, 3 yr tot), and 24-7 tech support.

It sounds like a good deal to me, but then again , I'm not a compu geek. I just want a fast processor with a fast graphics card, and a beefy HDD, in a laptop.
I appreciate any advice, thanks
Well, I just have a quick comment here. It is a fairly good deal, not the best one. However, I would not call it the quality product, because last summer, when i worked at one of the comuter places, one of our money making things was selling laptops just like that one.
First, they all are assembled in china, or here. We received those that come from china. They were very fast and powerfull machines, but unstable. Also, the major weekness was that it is really hard to push 3GHz, out of such a little thing, and that little thing would get so HOT in about half an hour, that you can't even put it on your lap.
Sad thing, is that after a while some customers came back with complains, heat complains, or some hardware failure, and unfortunatelly we could not deal with them easily. Those laptops are STUFFED with hardware. Hard to replace, and fix.

If you want a good deal, buy Sony, Viao is a nice little thing, and it performs great!!! By the way, you don't need to go for the fastest laptop out there. For laptops, 1.5Ghz is enough, after that, they either get very hot, or running unstable. Usually their power supply is not doing too good, and they have no way of cooling themseves too.

IF you want SPEED, go with desctop, unconvinient, i know, but you can get up to 3Ghz, easily for under 1000$, then overclock it to 4ghz, and there you set for the next year. But don't forget about 2 extra fans.

Oh eah, and last thing, check www.pricewatch.com, this is just price comparison in generall, i won't advice you buying a very expencive stuff from those websites.

Sorry, it was kind of long.

nik

Green1995SVX 04-23-2003 12:12 AM

I have a G4 Ti. It's one hot notebook! :D

Mike

SVXCAPE 04-23-2003 12:37 AM

thanks

Thanks for the great advice! I am still very interested in it though.
I am thinking about trying it out for a week or two and then send it back, it has a 30 day money back guarantee( does not include shipping).

I know you are right, I just want a test drive. With the money I am spending on this thing, I could have one bad desktop.

I guess we'll just have to wait another year or two for the technology to catch up to laptops, for the faster processors anyway, cooling/stability/batt life.

Thanks again, I guess I'm back to the drawing board......literally:D