The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Suggestions for Xmas present-tools for son (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47031)

Cynic 11-25-2008 10:59 AM

Suggestions for Xmas present-tools for son

So guys and gals, what would you suggest/want? All price ranges...

My son has a 1993 Nissan 240 that he is working on. So far, new rad, rims, oil and coolant changes, wiper arm...I believe this week its a new fuel pump. For Christmas, I want to give him some car related tools. He has a socket set.
(his Dad's getting him new Kouki ((sp?)) tail lights!)

Thanks for the help. :)

Cyn

TomsSVX 11-25-2008 11:02 AM

Re: Suggestions for Xmas present-tools for son

Husky makes a pretty good tool set. Eric has one and it is pretty complete.

A couple things I would add

1. Torque wrench
2. Various pliers
3. Pry Bar set
4. Gloves (blue disposables are good)

Tom

Wikedjuggalo 11-25-2008 12:07 PM

Torque wrench! Get a nice once easy to navigate with lol (Digital ones are nice if you want to spend the money). I have a nice socket set which has done me nicely but I have no torque wrench.
(I was given a craftsman tool set for Christmas last year very nice wish I had specialty tools tho)

A magnet on a stick(sorry they are metal rods) comes in handy for dropping crap in the engine block area :D.

Like tom also said various pliers. Needle nose etc.

Landshark 11-25-2008 12:52 PM

hit Sears for Black Friday deals on tools. :)

dcarrb 11-25-2008 02:12 PM

I'm no mechanic, but I really like the new ratcheting box-end wrench set I got recently.

dcb

JaySVX 11-25-2008 07:06 PM

+1, I love my wratcheting box wrenches, and my father loves the ones I got him as well. They make a fair amount of jobs significantly easier.

zavikan 11-25-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 573554)
I'm no mechanic, but I really like the new ratcheting box-end wrench set I got recently.

dcb

I personally like giving/receiving presents that are a bit overpriced/superfluous, but extremely nice/useful. I think the Ratcheting box wrenchs fit that category perfectly.

Most mechanical types would see it as a bit to luxurious b/c they can perform the same act w/ a simple set of nice box wrenches. There for, they never buy them. Actually give him a set, and he'll use them all the time, and love them.
:)

Its not cheap for a set though, and its one of those go all out deals. Get the larger sets, and get both SAE and Metric.

Nothings worse for a mech head, then a small/half set of things, then you just never bother with them. you go for the old trusted set you know has the size you need.

Elsewise, If thats a bit to steep a pricetag...
Car related things: Jack Stands.......real car jack (not the wussy little ones)...creeper....
Just my 2 cents.

LetItSnow 11-25-2008 08:06 PM

Variable speed Dremel?

demonsvx 11-25-2008 09:24 PM

Air compressor with impact wrench, air chisel, paint gun, blast cabinet etc. Pressure washer shop vac anything car related

b3lha 11-26-2008 07:39 AM

There are a few vital tools that every home mechanic needs.

Trolley jack to lift the car.
Axle stands to ensure it stays lifted.
Breaker bar to remove tight bolts.
4ft 3/4" iron pipe to put over breaker bar:rolleyes:
Butane torch to heat bolts in a futile attempt to loosen them.
8ft 3/4" iron pipe to put over breaker bar:rolleyes:
Drill and/or Angle grinder to cut the rounded head off the bolts.
Thick gloves to avoid burning his hands on the remains of the bolts.
:lol:

Cynic 11-26-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha (Post 573652)
There are a few vital tools that every home mechanic needs.

Trolley jack to lift the car.
Axle stands to ensure it stays lifted.
Breaker bar to remove tight bolts.
4ft 3/4" iron pipe to put over breaker bar:rolleyes:
Butane torch to heat bolts in a futile attempt to loosen them.
8ft 3/4" iron pipe to put over breaker bar:rolleyes:
Drill and/or Angle grinder to cut the rounded head off the bolts.
Thick gloves to avoid burning his hands on the remains of the bolts.
:lol:

LOL That's him!!

Thanks, lots of ideas. I think he has a torque wrench, but none of the other suggestions. A volt meter (is that the name) might come in handy as well. Keep 'um coming. I still have 25 days to shop!

What is Black Friday? Is it the day after your Thanksgiving?

Cyn

TomsSVX 11-26-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynic (Post 573663)
LOL That's him!!

Thanks, lots of ideas. I think he has a torque wrench, but none of the other suggestions. A volt meter (is that the name) might come in handy as well. Keep 'um coming. I still have 25 days to shop!

Cyn

I would also get him a basic 12v circuit tester... They are much easier to use than a multimeter in so many applications

Tom

zavikan 11-26-2008 10:28 AM

meh, multimeter for the win:)

Unless your going into the electronics all the time, you can be very happy with just the multimeter

Wikedjuggalo 11-26-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zavikan (Post 573676)
meh, multimeter for the win:)

Unless your going into the electronics all the time, you can be very happy with just the multimeter

so long as he can use it. I luckly took some nice clases in HS called principles of Technology in which we took physics and applied it not just the pen and paper stuff. Learned how to use a multimeter in there :D

subi-crosser 11-26-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynic (Post 573663)
LOL That's him!!

Cyn

I recieved one of those $100, Sears rolling tool chests from the daughter. I liked it so much that I bought one TOO!

Black Friday is the date, 'In theory', that a merchant has paid for all his expenses, taxes and related costs. (going from the red to the black, in the books)

It is always the friday after our Thanksgiving holiday. The shops open at 4:00 AM to start the spending! They offer really great prices on a certain number of things if you get out of bed and GO there!
I, however, AVOID those wonderful bargins, since I hate to knock people down to get at the last of anything!