The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Transmission Tweak via Resistor on Battery?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32129)

Antigenus 03-16-2006 07:26 AM

Transmission Tweak via Resistor on Battery??

I read somewhere, and have the instructions printed out around here somewhere, oh here we go I have the instruction and I will paste them.

"After listening to all the opinions about why they hold up so poorly, I came to the conclusion that the number one cause of premature failure in the SVX automatics was the slow shifting. During shifts, the bands and clutches inside the unit have to slip a certain amount when they engage the next gear. How much slippage occurs has a direct effect on the amount of heat produced as well as how much wear results from each shift.

Many owners have discovered a little trick to firm up the shifts by unplugging the resistor that moderates the line pressure. This resistor is located behind the battery and when unplugged, results in firmer shifts at virtually all speeds. Unfortunately, two side effects are too firm shifting at low speeds and hunting of gears on deceleration. "

Does this seem like a reasonable tweak to try? I have a brand new tranny that was replaced, not rebuilt and I want to savor the transmission as long as possible and get a little firmer shifting...could this work? Anyone do this before? Let me know what you think.

Myetball 03-16-2006 08:13 AM

Don't disconnect the resistor. What you want to do is install a shift kit from Smallcarperformance. BTW, the guy at smallcarperformance wrote the info you posted above but goes on to explain further HERE.

Ricochet 03-16-2006 08:17 AM

wtf is that? some hose and zip ties for 45 bucks???

SVXRide 03-16-2006 08:36 AM

Check with SVXFiles for a much less expensive "fix" for this...
-Bill

Antigenus 03-16-2006 10:22 AM

Is this even necessary? I mean is this only applicable when you are encountering issues with your tranny? I'm not really into modding this if its not a complete positive effect to the operation of the SVX. :confused:

Earthworm 03-16-2006 11:14 AM

Don't unplug the resistor. This will generate an error code in your TCU. You will never know if there are multiple errors being reported unless you check the codes every time you get in the car.

Myetball 03-16-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antigenus
Is this even necessary? I mean is this only applicable when you are encountering issues with your tranny? I'm not really into modding this if its not a complete positive effect to the operation of the SVX. :confused:

Kinda confused as well, disconnecting the resistor is not completely positive. You get firmer shifts yes but all the time, even at low speed and the tranny will not downshift properly.

"Ricochet wtf is that? some hose and zip ties for 45 bucks???"

Now there's a well informed question.

Since the link I posted may have escaped some of you, here's some more info:

FAQ

What if my transmission seems to be working perfectly?
If your transmission seems to have no problems shifting or has been rebuilt recently, you may not notice much difference in normal driving. Even so, under brisk acceleration the Smallcar kit will firm up the shifts, helping your transmission last longer.

What if my transmission has problems?
If your automatic shifts sluggishly or has other problems, try unplugging the resistor behind the battery. If this seems to generally improve the operation, the Smallcar shift kit will help. If not, it's probably time for a rebuild or a Smallcar 5 speed.

How does it work?
The kit uses manifold pressure to sense engine load and switches the line pressure higher or lower as needed. For those who like to tinker, the switch point is adjustable.

Antigenus 03-16-2006 03:22 PM

Thumbs up or down on this?

AppStateSVX 03-16-2006 03:43 PM

do a search on this subject if you want a lot more info. There has been a LOT of talk about this, and some possible bad effects on the differential...:(

Antigenus 03-16-2006 04:29 PM

That was the answer I expected to hear from a politician :) haha just kidding

AFBeefcake 03-16-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
wtf is that? some hose and zip ties for 45 bucks???

and a vacuum switch. Which is what makes the whole kit work.

I've had the kit on my car since it was first released by smallcar. I like the kit. My shifts are much firmer and there is no hunting on down shifts.

oab_au 03-16-2006 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antigenus
Thumbs up or down on this?

Thumbs up.

Harvey.;)

Earthworm 03-16-2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au
Thumb up.

Harvey.;)

hehe...fixed :D