The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Intake sub gear (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26420)

SVX-FF 05-25-2005 09:29 PM

Intake sub gear

Has anyone had to reset the load on the intake sub gear to correct a tapping sound? :confused:

Help

Steve

Earthworm 05-26-2005 10:17 AM

More detail?

SVX-FF 05-26-2005 03:07 PM

Ok I will try.
I replaced mt exhaust cam about two months ago. when I removed the intake cam I did not install the service bolt per directions, I read the direction after the fact :eek: The car runs fine and the subie dealer said that the intake cam sub gear need to have the backlash set to get rid of the tapping sound. The sub gear sit in front of the main gear on the intake shaft. I will find pictures when I get home tonight.

Steve

Earthworm 05-26-2005 03:09 PM

Ah, I didn't realise you were talking about the cams.

SVX-FF 05-28-2005 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached a pic of the cams so you all can see where and what the sub gear is.

Steve

92 SVX 09-05-2014 02:15 PM

Re: Intake sub gear

Ok realize this is a 9+ year old thread but no answer seems to have been provided and all the searching I have done I have not come across anything else.

Icingdeath88 has tried to give me an explaination, Thanks svxfiles I hope that is good I will be linking the mechanic to your post.

svxfiles 09-05-2014 02:47 PM

It is not an adjustment but having the split part of the cam gear be spring loaded to keep the cam lash to a minimum.

92 SVX 09-05-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 736323)
It is not an adjustment but having the split part of the cam gear be spring loaded to keep the cam lash to a minimum.

Looking at some pic's, and reading the info from Nassir I think I get it, though couple of things, can this be done with only the valve cover off? do you need to remove any of the timing belt components? does the intake cam need to be off the car?

Right now the car is put back together and drivable, other then valve cover leaking like crazy.
Driving this is annoying because it sounds (to me) like the clatter of a diesel, Now I like diesels and if this was a diesel I would be happy with it clattering but its not and im not. lol

Hocrest 09-05-2014 03:38 PM

Like Steve, I worked faster than I read and took them out before using the bolt to tension the spring.
It was a few years back, so I don't recall exactly, but I think I used a step wrench to turn the "sprung" gear while using the wrench flats on the cam to hold it in place. Turned until the bolt hole lined up and then put the bolt in.

You'll need to take the cam out of the head to do it.

svxfiles 09-05-2014 03:42 PM

The intake cam has to come out of the engine,
put in a vice as shown in the SSM,
the thinner gear turned against the spring,
a small 6mm bolt installed to hold the spring loaded gear,
and then installed back into the engine.
After the cam is properly installed
you remove the bolt and the clatter will go away.

svxfiles 09-05-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 736325)
Like Steve, I worked faster than I read bla, bla, bla, and took them out before using the bolt to tension the spring.
It was a few years back, so I don't recall exactly, but I think I used a step wrench to turn the "sprung" gear while using the wrench flats on the cam to hold it in place. Turned until the bolt hole lined up and then put the bolt in.

You'll need to take the cam out of the head to do it

You also type faster than me.:rolleyes:

92 SVX 09-05-2014 03:57 PM

Ok That helps, Thank you very much both of you

Huskymaniac 04-29-2019 06:21 AM

If this is not done, what is the risk to the engine other than sounding like a diesel?

Tireiron 04-29-2019 01:48 PM

In the long run I could picture possible camshaft gear damage. I could also picture damage and accelerated wear to the camshaft "bearing" journal surfaces.

Huskymaniac 05-01-2019 05:57 AM

I don't plan on keeping this car for any more than 100k more miles. Assuming low wear to date, is this really an issue worth pushing?