The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Front Diff Output Shaft - URGENT advice? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19336)

SVX ROO 06-16-2004 05:09 PM

Front Diff Output Shaft - URGENT advice?

While doing a routine ball joint change, the left side diff output shaft dicided it liked the world outside the differential rather than inside. When the ball joint came undone the upright swung out to the side a bit more than I expected. When I tried to put the ball joint in place the half shaft was hanging way out from the diff. My first thought was that the half shaft had been installed without the roll pin. Nope, roll pin was in place but the diff' output shaft had pulled out of the diff and was hanging onto the half shaft by the roll pin.

Anybody have this experience?

I have knocked out the roll pin and separated the half shaft so I have room to work. The shaft came out far enough to see the splined opposite end of the shaft which is only about 6" long.

I looked at the parts cut sheets and it seems this shaft just slips into the splines of the differential. Is there supposed to be something holding it in? I don't see any sign of a seal on that shaft either but I had no leakage. Is there one?

Can I just slide it back in? And than refit the half shaft?

If not, what is the fix??

SVXer95 06-16-2004 05:43 PM

How much of a gap was there between the end of the axle and the diff case?
I have never heard of this happening before. I hope you can just slide it back in, that is what I would try.

svxpert 06-17-2004 06:40 PM

?

is you SVX at Haddon trannsmission on rt130? i see a white one there when i drive by?

SVX ROO 06-17-2004 08:49 PM

All is well that ewnds well

SVXpert, no it is not at Haddon transimision. I do alomost all my own work.

Now for the end of the story. The front diff output shafts are held in the same way that Honda (sorry for bad language!) half shafts are held in. On the inner end of the 6" long shaft there is a groove about 1/8" from the end of the inner splined shaft. In the grove is a springy open ring, kind of like a circlip but just a springing wire that goes about 70% of the way around. The just "pop" in or out with a little pressure.

Once I got the half shaft out of the way I got the diff shaft in the hole in the spider gear with the splines engaged and one or two taps with a hammer and in it went.

NO HARM DONE, no differnt that changing those half shafts on my former Hondas.

Lesson learned: for me when I change a ball joint again I will tap out the roll pin from the inner CV joint and let it float so it does not pull out the diff shaft.

SVXer95 06-17-2004 08:51 PM

Good to hear it went back together ok. Sounded a little scary!

TomsSVX 06-20-2004 12:18 PM

there is a clip suposed to be on the inside end of the small splined shaft. This holds that shaft into the differential carrier. Try to find the old one but if it is not there, get another and replace it when u can.

Tom

SVX ROO 06-20-2004 04:29 PM

thanks

Tom
Thanks, the clip was still on the inside end of shaft and went together with two taps.
Ken

Hocrest 06-20-2004 06:02 PM

Glad it went backtogether for you, I just saw this, or I would have responded earlier.

Had the exact same thing happen while doing the ball joint on my friends XT6, we ended up just tapping it back in and she's been fine ever since.

TomsSVX 06-21-2004 08:36 PM

good to hear its all kosher