The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Momo steering wheel with airbags that work??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54378)

Johnybeas 04-28-2010 11:35 PM

Momo steering wheel with airbags that work???

I did some searching because I saw a lot of members that had momo's that they didn't have the airbags functioning on them.

I found this on ebay and was wondering if, since it's the same generation if the plugs would be the same and I could get the airbags to work???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-S...ht_4051wt_1165

any thoughts???

1986nate 04-29-2010 09:39 PM

Re: Momo steering wheel with airbags that work???

Its not a matter of just the plugs being the same, but also the voltage that is sent to the airbag unit to deploy it as well as the constant signal that tells the airbag computer that everything is in proper order.
Even then, you still end up with an airbag that was designed for a different car with different dimensions.

SilverSpear 04-30-2010 03:08 AM

I might have an idea Johny. PM me...

NeedForSpeed 04-30-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 645206)
I might have an idea Johny. PM me...

PM me, I want to know too :cool:

Freeman 04-30-2010 03:19 PM

Just post it! We all want to know! :p

icingdeath88 04-30-2010 09:33 PM

I've got an idea, but I don't know if it would work or not. Just get an airbag control unit from the same car. If the sensors are different then get those too. As long as the overall layout is the same with regard to sensor positions, then the only issue would be in whether the airbag controllers communicate with anything in a way that would cause problems.

Green1995SVX 04-30-2010 10:55 PM

That will not work. I have ordered several momo wheels from Japan and tried them. None use the same plug orientation.

sabin 04-30-2010 10:59 PM

my svx is airbag free

1986nate 04-30-2010 11:32 PM

Also, switching over the entire air bag computers, sensors, wiring, etc out of another car will probably not work either. The air bag computer recieves input reguarding the speed of the vehicle so that they never deploy below certain speeds.

icingdeath88 05-01-2010 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 645316)
Also, switching over the entire air bag computers, sensors, wiring, etc out of another car will probably not work either. The air bag computer recieves input reguarding the speed of the vehicle so that they never deploy below certain speeds.

If the speed is sent to it as a pulse, couldn't that be accounted for? If it's data, then that might be a problem. Also, if the two cars require different speed thresholds.

icingdeath88 05-01-2010 05:27 AM

Also, that makes me wonder. A few weeks ago, my speed sensor (the one that is reported to the speedometer) broke and I replaced it quickly. In the meantime, having no speed, would the airbag have worked at all? I think the problem could probably be solved with enough electronics expertise. And maybe someone could even reprogram the airbag controller to make it work just right.

1986nate 05-01-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 645325)
If the speed is sent to it as a pulse, couldn't that be accounted for? If it's data, then that might be a problem. Also, if the two cars require different speed thresholds.

Possible, and like I said, I don't know for sure if it gets the signal from the ECU or not but it somehow has to have a signal for speed.
Not saying its not possible, just that its not going to be as simple as what most people would automatically think, that's all.:)

Also, I personally wouldn't be f*****g around with different airbags.... Don't need a "bomb" going off improperly.:eek::rolleyes:

Freeman 05-01-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 645336)
Possible, and like I said, I don't know for sure if it gets the signal from the ECU or not but it somehow has to have a signal for speed.
Not saying its not possible, just that its not going to be as simple as what most people would automatically think, that's all.:)

Also, I personally wouldn't be f*****g around with different airbags.... Don't need a "bomb" going off improperly.:eek::rolleyes:

Yeah I totally agree. That was my first thought the second I saw this thread.

sowise 05-01-2010 01:33 PM

I know the airbag technology is popular for safety but other than maybe turning of an airbag light I don't really see the point in making a different one work. I know people swear by them and I do concede they improve your chances but there are also downsides to them as well. Wear a seat belt and drive defensively. Plus I would put our SVX up agains a prius anyday.

icingdeath88 05-01-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sowise (Post 645346)
I know the airbag technology is popular for safety but other than maybe turning of an airbag light I don't really see the point in making a different one work. I know people swear by them and I do concede they improve your chances but there are also downsides to them as well. Wear a seat belt and drive defensively. Plus I would put our SVX up agains a prius anyday.

Yea, but what about a hummer?