The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is the stealership taking me for a ride with the big hammer?! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17603)

rmjjensen 03-31-2004 03:20 PM

Is the stealership taking me for a ride with the big hammer?!

So I figured it's time to get my crank shaft pulley replaced because I didn't feel very safe with is slightly wobboling the way it was. Took it to Martin Subaru down in Sicklerville, NJ and they looked at it today.

They told me that I needed a new crankshaft pulley (obviously) and that the one that was originally on my car isn't for an SVX. Is that even possible? They said with the different pulley that was on there it might have done engine damage. Kind of weird, but the engine runs fine - pulley just wobbles.

so they also told me that the lugnuts I had on my wheels aren't the correct kind.........(whatever that means) and that they aren't really holding the wheels on the car. New lug nuts are like $8 a piece ....jez

Dam SVX ....I just hope theres no engine damage :( There getting back to me tomorrow

Crankshaft pulley, lugnuts, labor = $644!!!!! WTF

Uncamitzi 03-31-2004 03:43 PM

Picture is worth a thousand words

If you post a picture of your lug nuts and the pulley... there are enough of us here that have dealt with them... we might recognize the problem if there is one.

Noir 03-31-2004 03:50 PM

Re: Is the stealership taking me for a ride with the big hammer?!

Quote:

Originally posted by rmjjensen
So I figured it's time to get my crank shaft pulley replaced because I didn't feel very safe with is slightly wobboling the way it was. Took it to Martin Subaru down in Sicklerville, NJ and they looked at it today.

They told me that I needed a new crankshaft pulley (obviously) and that the one that was originally on my car isn't for an SVX. Is that even possible? They said with the different pulley that was on there it might have done engine damage. Kind of weird, but the engine runs fine - pulley just wobbles.

so they also told me that the lugnuts I had on my wheels aren't the correct kind.........(whatever that means) and that they aren't really holding the wheels on the car. New lug nuts are like $8 a piece ....jez

Dam SVX ....I just hope theres no engine damage :( There getting back to me tomorrow

Crankshaft pulley, lugnuts, labor = $644!!!!! WTF

it's not a hammer, it's a plunger, bend over!..correct me if i'm wrong...isn't it relatively easy to change the crankshaft pulley? lugnuts..hmm...can you take them off your car with the tire iron and put them back on?

Mr. Pockets 03-31-2004 03:56 PM

I needed a different type of lugnut for the new wheels on the Justy. I paid about $20 for 16 of 'em. $8 apiece is nothing short of the aforementioned plunger rapage. I think they used the handle end.

$644 to replace the lug nuts and pulley is criminal.

Edit: I just checked Subaruparts.com and they list the pulley for $148. Even if a dealer charged you $250, it shouldn't take more than an hour to replace.

$250 for the pulley, $160 for the lug nuts ( :eek: ) and two hours of labor at $70/hr I still don't hit $644, but maybe with tax...

lee 03-31-2004 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

$644 to replace the lug nuts and pulley is criminal.

Agree, but I would have phrased it in terms of a specific criminal act...

Subaruparts.com shows $5.30 per lug nut so $8 for list is probably right. They show list on the pulley at $194.40 & sale price less than $150.

If the pulley is already hosed, then getting it off is no big deal (normally one has to worry about pulling it apart). I would guess the official labor to be about an hour for lugnuts and pulley since I could do it in that time.

That means $290 in labor. I hope they plan to give you a kiss while they do this to you.

Mr. Pockets 03-31-2004 04:19 PM

$5.30 per lug nut is ridiculous but probably reflects their costs in distributing the things. I would think that, instead of applying the same equation to every little part, on some where the cost didn't make sense they'd eat a little to make people happy.

$290 for labor on those services is nuts. I would demand to see the book rate on that one.

svxhunter 03-31-2004 04:44 PM

There are probably lots of SVX's running with the wrong lug nuts (though they shouldn't be). SVX lug nuts have a much wider flange than normal at the base of the nut to evenly disperse the torque against the factory aluminum wheels. The dealership is correct in pointing out that incorrect lug nuts don't work right- broken lugs, warped rotors, bent wheels, etc., not to mention the possiblity of the "Wheel-less belly slide".

They are also correct in pointing out that an incorrect pulley could potentially cause damage.

Having said that, they are hosing you. With a fire hose.

As you said, the motor runs fine. The pulley thing is just a scare tactic. And the price makes many criminal acts look kind.

Get your car out of there. And spread the word on this particular dealership through this forum and others.

Any shade tree mechanic can handle the pulley job (even I just did one!). You could probably get used lug nuts on this forum- I did.

NOTE: It is possible the existing lug nuts were the wrong thread pattern and forced on with an impact wrench. If so, you'll need new lugs, like I did. Again, any average mechanic can handle this.

Good Luck!!

:)

Mr. Pockets 03-31-2004 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxhunter
NOTE: It is possible the existing lug nuts were the wrong thread pattern and forced on with an impact wrench. If so, you'll need new lugs, like I did. Again, any average mechanic can handle this.
Right. If they replaced the lug nuts and the studs, then they probably didn't turn the hose on you for too long. If your lug nuts were the wrong thread pitch and they didn't replace the studs, then they should all be put away for a long, long time.

rmjjensen 03-31-2004 06:49 PM

Yeah I really don't feel too kind with the price quote they gave me. I'm going to ask them exactly what their labor rate/hours were for the work being done. I think the price is just out of hand.

The reason why I kind of like this dealership was because they are pointing out stupid things that are wrong. Like lugnuts ........if they look at that stuff wouldn't you believe that they kinda "know" what they're doing with the SVX? ORRRRRRRR - are all subaru lug nuts the same where it's not particular to the svx?

i hate dealerships ....... [sorry i just had to]

No, you didn't have to - Todd :mad:

SubaSteevo 03-31-2004 08:18 PM

Rmj, where in NJ are you located? I have had the pulley off to do a timing belt/water pump change and it is not difficult at all. All you would need is a 10mm rachet, new pulley, a breaker bar, a 22m 6pt socket, a torque wrench, and a large flat head screwdriver. The rachet is to take the radiator fans off and the ac and ps belts, the screwdriver is to hold the flywheel as you crack the bolt, the breaker bar and socker is to take the pulley off, the torque wrench is to put it back on. I'd be happy to help you out. Lug nets are even easier :)

FlagstaffSVX 04-01-2004 03:55 AM

Ask them why they're charging you $290 in labor as you hold up the lug nuts you bought for $20 from a few parts cars.

P.S. Using parts from totaled SVX's is like human organ donation. Everytime it happens an angel gets its wings. :D

LarryIII 04-01-2004 04:36 AM

MJJensen,

Contact 'SVXROO' (Ken B.)privately. He lives down by you in south Jersey. He owns 2 SVXes besides Lotuses. He's a good guy and a terrific mechanic. He does not use Martin. Talk to him.
Good Luck.

red95svx 04-01-2004 09:13 AM

timing belt also?

Are you sure that the quote doesn't include a timing belt? That total seems consistant for a pulley, timing belt, lug nuts, and labor.

You have to keep in mind that the SVX is different from every other Subaru. 99% of its parts are not shared with anything else. So, yes, the lugnuts are different. As far as the pulley goes someone probably tried to save some money and put a Legacy pulley on there. Is it different from an SVX pulley? You bet. The SVX's individuality is what we all love......but it's what we all hate too. Parts are different, more expensive, and not as plentiful as other Subarus. Driving a nice car comes at a not so nice price sometimes.

If you do decide to do the pulley yourself, make sure you torque the bolt to the correct value. In the last month alone two of my customers had to replace their engine blocks after they changed there own crank pulleys and did not torque the bolt to the correct value. The wobbling pulley was enough to damage the pistons.

Dave

Subafreak 04-01-2004 10:31 AM

Acctually Dave I belive the wobbling pully wrecks the end of the crank.;) This was the reson I had to change the motor in my freinds Imprezza.

red95svx 04-01-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Acctually Dave I belive the wobbling pully wrecks the end of the crank.;) This was the reson I had to change the motor in my freinds Imprezza.

You are correct sir! It was their crankshafts that were ruined, not the pistons. I stand corrected. :)

Dave