The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Green Power Light at Full Throttle? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38875)

Gizmotronicus 05-08-2007 10:23 AM

Green Power Light at Full Throttle?

What is the green power light I see when I go full throttle?

dcarrb 05-08-2007 10:35 AM

My understanding is that the transmission will not upshift until the RPMs hit redline when in "power" mode. I'm sure others can provide a better explanation.

dcb

SVeXy96 05-08-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
My understanding is that the transmission will not upshift until the RPMs hit redline when in "power" mode. I'm sure others can provide a better explanation.

dcb

Thats myy understanding as well. Its liek when you gradually accelerate most cars will shift gears between 2500 and 4000 rpms depending on the grade of the road. And when you put the pedal to the medal the car shifts around 5500 to 6500 rpms to put out the max power. So when you floor it in your SVX the green power light comes on to let you know its giving you its all. Although not every year SVX has the power light cause I have a 96 and there is no power light on my car.

RSVX 05-08-2007 12:13 PM

It changes the shift map, as denoted above...

Also, simpley flooring it wont get the mode activated... in fact, you dont have to floor it to get power mode on.

It turns on based on the speed or urgency in which you press the gas pedal.

Darren 05-08-2007 03:26 PM

Mine is always on :D

TomsSVX 05-08-2007 04:47 PM

it adds the magical 30 horsepower that silverspear got from his intake

tom

Crazy_pilot 05-08-2007 05:09 PM

It turns on the rocket boosters:D

immortal_suby 05-08-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
it adds the magical 30 horsepower that silverspear got from his intake

tom

no no no, it adds the magical 30 hp that chike got from the throttle cable tension mod

no wait, that's not it - I remember now, it adds the magical 30hp that landshark got from painting his oilcovers red.

AlcyoneDaze 05-09-2007 12:48 PM

I've noticed the best way to activate the POWER mode on my 92 is to give the throttle a little double tap. I haven't put the car in power mode for months now... im getting more and more used to just babying her and driving like a civilian... :o

ensteele 05-09-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze
I haven't put the car in power mode for months now... im getting more and more used to just babying her and driving like a civilian... :o

That happens over time. :) :)

dcarrb 05-09-2007 01:41 PM

The first time I saw mine was when I pulled-out in front of somebody at a blind T-intersection; one of those deals where once you start, you're committed. Let's just say I was highly motivated to get out of that fellow's way. Bothered me that the engine was cold.

dcb

TomsSVX 05-09-2007 02:35 PM

power mode is brought on by the quickness the throttle is depressed, not amount of throttle given... just a lil info for ya

Tom

Darren 05-09-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

power mode is brought on by the quickness the throttle is depressed, not amount of throttle given... just a lil info for ya
Or the little button on our JDM's :D

svxistentialist 05-09-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX

Tom

What Tom says is correct, but it's worse than that, he's dead, Jim.

Sorry, sorry, mind wandering the star lanes.:D

Power mode availability is determined by a map, just like the fuelling map. Speed of throttle change for sure lights it up. But it is also reluctant to engage Power if your speed is already high. Or conversely, if you are going slowly it is easier to get into Power mode.

Also, I notice in the WSM that it has a default light-up time of three seconds. What I think this implies is you can engage Power once you are flooring the pedal fast. It will stay on while you are accelerating hard. As soon as you ease back, 3 seconds later the light will go out.

We all need JDM boxes, that's for sure.

Joe:)

NikFu S. 05-09-2007 08:16 PM

I've found no difference between "power mode" at WOT and simply going WOT, but accelleration will become aggressive for a short period if it senses a quick tap of the throttle. I think it is intended for passing and evasion maneuvers without going WOT. It's an alternative to manual downshifting.