The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Exhaust system (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33315)

hophead 05-22-2006 10:45 AM

Exhaust system

Can anyone suggest a new system (moderate cost) and a installer in the area of Baltimore / Columbia Md. My 92 seems to have sprung a leak somewhere under the driver compartment. Thanks for the info.
Fred

Nomad 06-01-2006 02:45 PM

Hi

Hi , i'm doing same thing here in a month or so. My cost is 600$ all installed .
Doing real seperated exaust starting at the rear of the first cats. no more than 2'' to keep scavenge effect. all way dual exaust to two mufflers ( mine are Turbos from Flow master ) .

DO NOT LINK THEM!! since we got a H-6 , they fire evenly every 240 degrees of crankshaft travel.there'S no overlap.this eliminates the problem of one cylinder exhausting while another cylinder's exhaust valve is still open.( taken fromSubaru svx faqs.... :cool: )

svxfiles 06-01-2006 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
Hi , i'm doing same thing here in a month or so. My cost is 600$ all installed .
Doing real seperated exaust starting at the rear of the first cats. no more than 2'' to keep scavenge effect. all way dual exaust to two mufflers ( mine are Turbos from Flow master ) .

DO NOT LINK THEM!! since we got a H-6 , they fire evenly every 120 degrees of crankshaft travel.there'S no overlap.this eliminates the problem of one cylinder exhausting while another cylinder's exhaust valve is still open.( taken fromSubaru svx faqs.... :cool: )

Fixed your post.
It will sound great above 3000 rpm, and like crap below 3000.
Expect to install two mufflers per side to make it sound ok.

Nomad 06-01-2006 06:31 PM

Humm....depends on the $$$ you want to put i think..;)

and i'll fix an other thing, : it's 240 degrees of crank travel...:cool:

svxfiles 06-01-2006 07:15 PM

The REGULAR SVX has a six (6) cylinder, four (4) stroke engine in it.
That means the engine crankshaft has to rotate twice (that means two (2) times) for each power/exhaust stroke.:)
Since a rotation is 360 degrees, and it requires two rotations, that means it will rotate 720 degrees for each cylinder to fire.:)
Since all six (6) fire every 720 degrees, you divide 720 by six (6) and have a cylinder firing, and exhausting, every 120 degrees.
Now if you are referring to our engines acting as two (2) separate three (3)cylinder engines, perhaps you should be more clear.
The money you spend on a thing is not as important as a proper design.
I was only trying to give proven advice.
Good luck.:)

mbtoloczko 06-01-2006 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad

DO NOT LINK THEM!! since we got a H-6 , they fire evenly every 240 degrees of crankshaft travel.there'S no overlap.this eliminates the problem of one cylinder exhausting while another cylinder's exhaust valve is still open.( taken fromSubaru svx faqs.... :cool: )

Sounds great in theory, but in practice, linking the two sides provides better overall performance. Several members have tried first running true dual and then combined, and the result is that combined provides better overall performance.

Nomad 06-02-2006 09:22 AM

humm

So , the SVX FAQS is wrong? man... I thought it was my bible...:(

svxfiles 06-02-2006 09:57 AM

I have the highest respect for Terry McLane and his FAQ.
But as time marches on more people experiment, invent, goof up, and try again.
I am on my twelth exhaust system on my Claret, and I am happy with it.
Mychailo has had numerous exhausts on his.
And we both look to Harvey for answers, theory, and advice.

Nomad 06-02-2006 10:28 AM

Harry....yeah

yeah, I've read a lot of post with Harry arguing with others...:p a lot of fun to read and know that he masters what he's talking about, so to make it short , What is the best thing to do with our exhaust ? Like a How-to thing with the brand and all ? :cool: thx

Nomad 06-15-2006 11:03 AM

So ? anybody want to reply? who have a sound file to hear ? and the exaust we should use?

svxcuseme 06-15-2006 04:29 PM

Here's a good place to start.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...hlight=exhaust

Mychailo,

Do you still have the front cats in your system, before the rersonators? Also, do you still have the stock muffler in the back?

SVX10 06-15-2006 05:32 PM

Sound clip located in my locker
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?SVX10

The clip starts out quiet as I am only backing out of the garage, but give it about 30 seconds to play and you'll hear it.

The system is stock front section (header to 3rd cat) with both pre-cats removed. You can replace them with straight pipe if you choose...gives the car a little throatier note.

The main cat is stock
From the main cat, I have 2.5" piping. Just forward of the rear diff I have inserted a dynomax 2.5" in 2.5" out straight through racing muffler acting as a resonator. It doesn't do a very good job. Something longer that allows for a bit more expansion would probably work better.

Just rear of the rear diff, the 2.5" splits into two 2.25" pipes that each lead to separate 2.25" in 2.25" out straight through Magnaflow mufflers.

It sounds great. If you want more power and less sound quality, you can probably do better. Otherwise, this setup is a strong contender compared to all the ones I've heard.

Luckily for you, you can listen for yourself ;)

Nomad 06-15-2006 06:25 PM

hummm , i've hear the clip , not bad at all.

- Yes I have all the stock exhaust but, I remove the resonator for straith pipe. And I think that something is vibrating a lot under acceleration...Bad cat? So , what do you recommend? Staying with the pre-cats , straith to the muffler ?? lol :confused:

mbtoloczko 06-15-2006 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcuseme
Here's a good place to start.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...hlight=exhaust

Mychailo,

Do you still have the front cats in your system, before the rersonators? Also, do you still have the stock muffler in the back?

The primary cats are gone. They were removed before I started trying various custom exhausts. I have a custom dual muffler setup in the back. BTW, anyone want to buy my stock muffler? :-)

It's Just Eric 06-15-2006 07:41 PM

If something sounds like it's vibrating, its likely the heat shields. Cut them off unless you plan on parking in tall dead grass or on top of a hugemongous pile of leaves.