The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Two different suggested list prices for parts? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21051)

svxcess 09-01-2004 11:03 PM

Two different suggested list prices for parts?

I would like an answer to this question and would appreciate any input from parts people or dealer service people on the network.

I went to my Subaru dealer (Russel Subaru in Catonsville) today to get an O@ sensor replaced. For background on this see this thread

While the service department was installing the sensor, I looked up the part on subaruparts.com. It said that the list price was $149.95. When I got my car back and went to pay the bill, the part was listed as costing $188.94. I went to the guy at the parts counter and had him look up the sensor. He said it listed at 149.95, same as subaruparts. Has anyone ever heard of this?

If I ask for a part at the parts counter, the guy looks it up and goes back to the parts bin, gets it, and brings it to me and, in this case, I give him 149.95. If the mechanic in service asks for the same part, the same guy goes to the same parts bin, gets it and brings it to the mechanic to install and the price jumps to $188.95!

It seems that if this is the case I will let service diagnose my problem, tell me the parts I need and then I say "wait a moment while I get my parts from the parts counter". Then I just have to pay for the straight labor charges, using customer-supplied factory parts.

If any parts people, service people or dealer reps are out there please comment on this if you have any information. List price should be established by Subaru and be the same for all dealerships, just like a MSRP for vehicles. Discounting from list is one thing, but a parts MARKUP over list is quite another matter.

gl1674 09-01-2004 11:19 PM

My local subie dealer has 15% markup over MSRP on parts they sell over the counter. They never have anything in stock, they can't get parts faster than I can get by ordering from subaruparts.com, they do not get any of my business.
I don't even know what they charge for parts they install (and I hope I never will).

I don't think there is a rule that forbids them charging more than MSRP.

svxpert 09-02-2004 03:21 AM

parts

here is a quick explination. SOA "leases" the subaru name for each dealership. lets say john jones whats to open a subaru dealership. he pays some money to subaru for the name and then he gets certain rights to sell and he gets SOA training for his mechanics. in doing this he gets parts at "dealer price". he can sell the parts and service for whatever he wants then. SOA doesn't control the price of parts he sells. I'm sure in your case they either made a mistake or jus tried to make a little more$$ on the bill.

dcarrb 09-02-2004 06:44 AM

The moral of this story is: Never take your car to any dealership for service unless absolutely, positively necessary. For work you can't or don't wish to perform yourself, ask around and find an honest, skilled, independent mechanic. And, get quotes on parts and labor, along with a promised completion time or date, before any work is done.

dcb

calmone 09-02-2004 08:12 AM

i agree that the dealership is the most expensive place to get repairs done. for parts, it pays to check the net out, especially subaruparts.com. a dealer and most shops will not let you bring yur own parts, sp make sure the person doing the work will let you if you intend to buy your own.

LarryIII 09-02-2004 01:07 PM

I get alot of work done by my dealearship, Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Square, PA. They are expensive but they do the job correctly the first time.
They have never, I repeat never gouged me on part prices. They sell the parts at list price whether I buy them from their parts dept., or their service dept. tech. picks up the parts from the parts dept. counter.

I have a Suby dealer (Concordville) much closer to my house then Rafferty, but he stinks so I drive farther.

dcarrb 09-02-2004 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
I get alot of work done by my dealearship, Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Square, PA. They are expensive but they do the job correctly the first time.
There are exceptions to most every rule. Still, I maintain that, generally speaking, you will get better service at a better price from the little guy. He needs your business and will probably work hard to keep it; whereas the dealership service departments are but a money tree for the big boys. To each his or her own.

dcb

NapaBavarian 09-02-2004 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gl1674
They never have anything in stock, they can't get parts faster than I can get by ordering from subaruparts.com.

I can get any part I want from my local dealership...

in 4-6 weeks:eek:

svxfiles 09-02-2004 01:52 PM

I worked at a local Subaru dealership from 1987 till 2002. The owner had the shop and parts dept charge the factory list price unless it was a fleet customer, another dealer or an employee.

When the business was taken over by a multi-dealer, they marked up prices to an obscene level. If memory serves, 100% markup over cost on all parts up tp $50.00, 75% markup on all parts from $50.01 to $100.00 and 35% on parts from $100.01 and up. My long time loyal customers complained and refused to come back. What did the new owner do? He said if they can't pay, he dose'nt want them as customers!
He is still a suckessful dealer, but many former Subaru owners, now drive Toyotas, Nissans, or Subarus from a different dealer.
Boycott, buy elsewhere, they are not all like that. Tom

dcarrb 09-02-2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NapaBavarian
I can get any part I want from my local dealership... in 4-6 weeks
And the thing is, in most urban areas, it ought not take 4-6 days if it has to come from Tokyo.

dcb

gl1674 09-02-2004 04:34 PM

Quote:

I can get any part I want from my local dealership...
Try ordering a tranny case, just a case without internals.

rhhnx 09-11-2004 05:31 PM

Back when I bothered to get parts from my local dealers, I would for example get quotes on a water pump ranging from $100 to $250. That's why it's called "suggested" retail.

And none of these guys would stoop to delivering to an independent shop.

I have a toyota too. You have a lot more parts sources to choose from, including many reboxed oem parts that come in way under toyota list. But for some things the toyota list is not too bad. Plus until the car is over 10 years old, you can get almost any part from toyota overnite, delivered to the shop by their truck (not fed-ex), Over 10 years, you may have to wait two or three days.

Bobb 09-11-2004 08:02 PM

Parts

Hi everyone, Its the same old story. Some dealers are great and others are the last place on the planet to get anything from or done. The same can be said for independent repair shops. At my local dealer they let me bring my own lubricants when I have fluids changed, and the parts guy always takes 15% off of regular retail on parts I purchase from them. The secret to not getting screwed is asking for an estimate on the repair labor and the parts. A dealer is entitled to a fair profit. Anything above that it just gouging and will not get my support. Take care, and you have a mouth, use it, BOBB

SubaruPartsGirl 09-13-2004 08:06 AM

Dealer Parts

Don't be afraid to haggle, come prepared and don't let them tell you that you need things you don't. With that in mind, going to a dealer is an easy experience. Seriously...if someone comes up to me and says that they saw a part somewhere else for a different price I will not hesitate to give you that price if it is within my means because I would rather sell the part than not. The customer is always right.

nsm484 09-13-2004 10:49 AM

Im personaly Very happy with my Dealer, Subaru Of Jacksonville... Even Porter Recomended them... And Bill in Parts is an awsome guy... it never takes weeks for my parts to get there, max of a week... but thats it! price charged MATCHED subaruparts.com.

So I am very happy with my service... I guess my luck is just different... and this Dealer also has an SVX Mechanic as well.. Big Advantage. If I remember correctly, as of right now, im one of 11 Regular SVX's that come in there... Only seen 2 of the others, one was a Bright Red 97!!! Talk about SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next was a 94 Green I belive.. older guy... told him about the network... but at the time he didnt have inet.

I hope i meet more of the SVX'ers around here!