The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   'Odd' engine noises after replacing battery? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23475)

Knightwulf 12-28-2004 09:01 PM

'Odd' engine noises after replacing battery?

Perhaps I'm just being oversensitive here... Praying something doesn't go wrong with my SVX and I'm creating boogiemen.

However, I just swapped out the battery today and the engine seems to have a different sound to it now... She idles so quietly it's difficult to tell it's running over the ambient noise outside, but it just seems... Different somehow, when driving.

I think I read somewhere that the ECU gets reset when you cut power to the car?

Do I need to do something? Will it auto-adjust? Am I just seeing phantasms and being a hypochondriac?

Keep it mind I also have an ECUTune 1 v.3.

As always... Any advice is appreciated.

SVXer95 12-28-2004 09:14 PM

What kind of noise is it?

Is the exhuast stock?

Kind of hard to tell without hearing it, can you get a sound clip?

Knightwulf 12-28-2004 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXer95
What kind of noise is it?

Is the exhuast stock?

Kind of hard to tell without hearing it, can you get a sound clip?

Yes, the exhaust is stock...

It's not a specific noise, persay.. The engine just seems to 'purr' different at typical driving RPM's.

...and again.. I could just be making problems where there are none.. Listening more closely than I had before or expecting to hear something different.

deruvian 12-28-2004 10:22 PM

Strange noises aside, you should upgrade that ECUtune chip to v4. Preceding the performance enhancements, wasn't there a "bug" in the code? Upgrading now could rule out any troubleshooting factors in the future.

BTW, I believe that the upgrade is free for v3 owners... It's either v3 or v2. I can't quite remember.

Knightwulf 12-28-2004 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by deruvian
Strange noises aside, you should upgrade that ECUtune chip to v4. Preceding the performance enhancements, wasn't there a "bug" in the code? Upgrading now could rule out any troubleshooting factors in the future.

BTW, I believe that the upgrade is free for v3 owners... It's either v3 or v2. I can't quite remember.

According to the site, it's $50.00 for v.3 to v.4

drivemusicnow 12-29-2004 08:12 AM

I believe you are hearing a slight change in engine sound... but thats just because, like you said, when you take the battery out, the ECU clears its memory (depending on how long without a battery it sat) this will give you a slightly different fuel/timing map at first. so it may sound a bit different before the ECU re-learns your driving habits, and "best" maps.

basically. yes it sounds different, but i realllly don't think its anything to worry about.