The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   OT is STILL alive!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49075)

subi-crosser 02-10-2009 08:47 PM

OT is STILL alive!!!

A 'Miracle' of sorts happened today!! It was a FREAK of nature that our own beloved OT was SPARED!!

He was / had been heating a ball joint to remove it from a spindle assembly. He had broken the bolt loose with a breaker bar. He decided that he could use a ratchet, so he turned away..... As he bent down to pick up the wrench, the BALL JOINT EXPLODED!! It traveled 12 feet to a place where a gallon of brake fluid was sitting. It hit the plastic jug with enough force that it TORE an 8" HOLE in the side of the jug!!

He testified that it " Sounded like a 45 cal going off behind his ear"!

The ball joint had built up so much pressure, that it actually ripped off a piece of the sholder that the bolt uses to hold it to the car!

IF OT had continued to use the wrench that he had in his hand, the ball joint would have hit him IN THE CHEST, at 'heart' level!!

Thank (Insert your favorite option here), GOD that Tom decided to MOVE at that time!!

I have been bustin' knuckles for 40 years. This is the FIRST time for this one!

I stopped by and recorded the PROOF, but this puter won't see it.
I will burn a couple CDs tomorrow at work!

OT gets the first one!

Black88GTA 02-10-2009 08:51 PM

Re: OT is STILL alive!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 586932)
A 'Miracle' of sorts happened today!! It was a FREAK of nature that our own beloved OT was SPARED!!

He was / had been heating a ball joint to remove it from a spindle assembly. He had broken the bolt loose with a breaker bar. He decided that he could use a ratchet, so he turned away..... As he bent down to pick up the wrench, the BALL JOINT EXPLODED!! It traveled 12 feet to a place where a gallon of brake fluid was sitting. It hit the plastic jug with enough force that it TORE an 8" HOLE in the side of the jug!!

He testified that it " Sounded like a 45 cal going off behind his ear"!

The ball joint had built up so much pressure, that it actually ripped off a piece of the sholder that the bolt uses to hold it to the car!

IF OT had continued to use the wrench that he had in his hand, the ball joint would have hit him IN THE CHEST, at 'heart' level!!

Thank (Insert your favorite option here), GOD that Tom decided to MOVE at that time!!

I have been bustin' knuckles for 40 years. This is the FIRST time for this one!

:eek: Scary stuff! Glad nobody was hurt!

Pics of carnage?

techy101 02-10-2009 09:17 PM

Holy hell!

Glad to hear things are ok!

subi-crosser 02-10-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techy101 (Post 586938)
Holy hell!

Glad to hear things are ok!

He had some hot grease on him. After checking the shop to make sure that it was not on fire, he ran to Lady Di to see if there was any metal sticking out of him that his adrennilin didn't allow him to notice!!

Wait till you see the VID we made 'after the fact'!

Damned puter won't 'see' it!!

Crazy_pilot 02-10-2009 09:24 PM

Wow, glad Tom's okay!

Sov13t 02-10-2009 09:43 PM

For crying out loud... exploding ball joints!?

Glad your alright Tom!!!

subi-crosser 02-10-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sov13t (Post 586945)
For crying out loud... exploding ball joints!?

Glad your alright Tom!!!

WHOODA THUNK it!??!

Wikedjuggalo 02-10-2009 10:23 PM

Was this after I called? or before? Poor Tom, Can't catch a break in his own shop. Glad your alright tom now you can work on my car soon :rolleyes:

ensteele 02-10-2009 10:24 PM

Wow Glad he didn't have any injuries from this. This just might drive him to drink! :lol: :lol:

Hondasucks 02-10-2009 11:19 PM

I've never used a torch to get a ball joint out, just a really long prybar :D One of the big $200 Snap-On ones too... (Worth every penny, my huge arse Harbor Freight prybar bent the first time I used it! This Snap-On one, is actually my co-workers, but him and I have both hung from it trying to get things loose before! It just sprung, didn't bend lol)

SilverSpear 02-11-2009 12:26 AM

God loves you OT, glad you are Ok.

Tim 02-11-2009 05:59 AM

Yay Tom's okay! Glad to hear.

All these crazy things happening to the T's: First I fall through a lake, then Tom drowns the Fonz, now Tom ducks out on an exploding ball joint. :eek:

Turbone 02-11-2009 09:04 AM

Sounds like OT's Guardian Angel was close by this time ;)

Freeman 02-11-2009 05:11 PM

Holy hell I'm glad he's alright.. I lost phone service about 4 days ago so I didn't get to hear about this! I kept telling him if he gets hurt I'll pay his hospital bills..

Don't start getting hurt.. lol

Thanks for posting and letting us know!

SSSVX 02-13-2009 11:41 PM

Thankfully, OT is fine.

No pictures yet? :cool: