The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   hard start after vacum leak (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57302)

wyldnwoody44 05-15-2011 02:13 PM

hard start after vacum leak

Hey guys,

I recently had a broken vacum line and got the car to the mechanic luckily... the thing now is that when cold or first start of the day the car doesn't want to start, it usually turns over and dies quickly, then I have to turn it over again and give it gas for a few seconds for the idle to catch. Sometimes while in traffic the idle will jump 500 rpm or so as well but is intermittent usually after warmed up I don't see the problems as much. I dont have any light on and apparently the shop said they fixed 3 vacum lines when I got it in. . What does this sound like to you guys? My manual button is broke so I can't run codes, could it leak vacum leak? Before the main vacum line snapped the first time I had no issues with starting.
Any help appreciated

Huskymaniac 05-15-2011 03:24 PM

Re: hard start after vacum leak

I had a similar issue during the winter. Depending on the outside temperature, engine temperature and how long it was since I last drove the car (talking number of hours here, not days), the idle would spike up and then drop so low as to almost stall when I started it. It would bounce a few times before settling at a normal idle. I supected that some combination of a vacuum leak or PCV issue caused oil to get into the AACV and make it stick. Once warm, the IACV takes over and all is fine. Once I track down my minor vacuum leak and make sure the new PCV is working correctly, I plan to intake some seafom into the AACV.

michael 05-15-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 (Post 676571)
Hey guys,

I recently had a broken vacum line and got the car to the mechanic luckily... the thing now is that when cold or first start of the day the car doesn't want to start, it usually turns over and dies quickly, then I have to turn it over again and give it gas for a few seconds for the idle to catch. Sometimes while in traffic the idle will jump 500 rpm or so as well but is intermittent usually after warmed up I don't see the problems as much. I dont have any light on and apparently the shop said they fixed 3 vacum lines when I got it in. . What does this sound like to you guys? My manual button is broke so I can't run codes, could it leak vacum leak? Before the main vacum line snapped the first time I had no issues with starting.
Any help appreciated

I don't think you need a manual button to check for codes.

wyldnwoody44 05-15-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 676572)
I had a similar issue during the winter. Depending on the outside temperature, engine temperature and how long it was since I last drove the car (talking number of hours here, not days), the idle would spike up and then drop so low as to almost stall when I started it. It would bounce a few times before settling at a normal idle. I supected that some combination of a vacuum leak or PCV issue caused oil to get into the AACV and make it stick. Once warm, the IACV takes over and all is fine. Once I track down my minor vacuum leak and make sure the new PCV is working correctly, I plan to intake some seafom into the AACV.

I have to take the car back for some exhaust work in a week or so, my mechanic knows about the problem im having, should I have him clean up the pvc or does it sound like.a vacum leak was missed somewhere

wyldnwoody44 05-15-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael (Post 676578)
I don't think you need a manual button to check for codes.

I wasn't sure, the last time I ran codes I know I used a method that involved the manual button. Im not sure if running codes would help with my particular problem but it couldn't hurt, do ya know how to retrieve codes another way?

oab_au 05-15-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 (Post 676582)
I wasn't sure, the last time I ran codes I know I used a method that involved the manual button. Im not sure if running codes would help with my particular problem but it couldn't hurt, do ya know how to retrieve codes another way?

Yes look here.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54137

Harvey.

michael 05-15-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 (Post 676582)

What Harvey said and I believe the manual button is required for retrieval of transmission codes.

wyldnwoody44 05-27-2011 10:54 AM

So I just spoke with the mechanic on this issue, he couldnt find any other vacum leaks and said since the car is so old, he cant run a lot of the tests that can on newer cars.

Usually after running for a while the car seems to run OK; I dont really know where to start and dont even know where to look; anyone have any idea? I know it was mentioned that seafoam in some of the valves may work; but im not sure what that even means :rolleyes:

Earthworm 05-27-2011 01:02 PM

Your check engine light does work, correct?

These sound like the symptoms of the Coolant Temperature Sensor failing. You may want to research that.

wyldnwoody44 05-27-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm (Post 677810)
Your check engine light does work, correct?

These sound like the symptoms of the Coolant Temperature Sensor failing. You may want to research that.

Yes it works but I have no light on. Ill try and pull the codes and see if anything is stored. Ill do some research on that sensor, thanks.

wyldnwoody44 05-31-2011 10:11 PM

Hey guys,

Where do I find the coolant temp sensor.....I'm gonna swap it out to see if it helps. Im not too good mechanically so a pic would be nice if available but a description would help.

Also I wasn't able to figure out how to run the codes. I think I remember tinkering with some black plugs before, but I forgot, sorry for bein a pain

Sean486 06-01-2011 04:42 AM

It is on the top of the engine on the drivers side towards the back. Take off the throttle body cover and and look down it is right in that area and easily accessible for once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 (Post 678161)
Hey guys,

Where do I find the coolant temp sensor.....I'm gonna swap it out to see if it helps. Im not too good mechanically so a pic would be nice if available but a description would help.

Also I wasn't able to figure out how to run the codes. I think I remember tinkering with some black plugs before, but I forgot, sorry for bein a pain

michael 06-01-2011 04:52 AM

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54001