The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   P.o.s. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14331)

michael 11-11-2003 06:06 AM

P.o.s.

Winter is just around the bend, so I decided after five years I'm going to put the SVX away for the winter. I've been wanting to do this for a while but I was selfish, I could not part with it for that long, now I realize that to make it what I want I cant run it all year long. So I'm getting a second car, I have a limited budget due to the 5-speed I'll be doing so I found a car 4 $200. It's a 1984 VW rabbit auto w/tilt suspension, power nothing, indoor/outdoor carpet headliner and all season radial slicks. Who else has a busted piece-O-sh**? Wish me luck!

Landshark 11-11-2003 06:59 AM

here is my former winter beater - '87 Lesabre T-Type. don't be fooled - although it was a nice looking car and only had 60k miles, it was a real P.O.S.
under the hood, it looked like it was stored in a saltwater tank. i've never seen so much rust on a engine! the interior was made of deteriorating plastic and warped vinyl, and it drove like a turd. my beater before this ('90 Lumina), had little paint left and over twice the mileage, but ran MUCH better. shoulda kept that one. :(

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...shark/4459.JPG

Mr. Pockets 11-11-2003 09:08 AM

My first beater was an '85 GL wagon with 205k miles on it. It was free. I drove the car for about four months. First I had to replace the radiator. Then I had to rebuild the carburetor (interesting learning experience, that was). Then I blew a headgasket. So the car sat behind my garage for about two years before I had it hauled away for scrap.

Right after my GL died my mom gave me a '93 Justy for Christmas - as a joke. The joke was that I was visiting my mom in FL, and she thought there was no way I'd drive it all the way back to Michigan.

HA!

Anyway, The Justy has served me very well. I beat the snot out of that car on a daily basis and now I'm going to autocross it this weekend.

I love that little car. :)

ensteele 11-11-2003 09:22 AM

My daily driver is an 88 Toyota Corolla with 210,000 miles, cracked windshield, power nothing, and worn seats. I don't have to worry where I park either. :)

Uncamitzi 11-11-2003 02:52 PM

Damn Earl..

I've got to come up and see your museum some day!! Do you park all of those in a garage or do you just rent the Greyhound bus terminal?;)

lee 11-11-2003 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't need an extra winter car (not that I wouldn't mind another car), but I did find the car in the attached photo parked next to mine when I came out of Wally World, I could ask around if anyone was interested.

Mr. Pockets 11-11-2003 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
I don't need an extra winter car (not that I wouldn't mind another car), but I did find the car in the attached photo parked next to mine when I came out of Wally World, I could ask around if anyone was interested.
Wal*Mart isn't the only place you'll see a car like that, but if you ever need to find one for a scavenger hunt, it's a good place to start.

Landshark 11-11-2003 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
wow, that's sweet!

i could see where that might get a little cold in the winter, so i'd probably roll some pink fiberglass insulation over the roof and bungee it down. yeah, i gots class.

mikecg 11-11-2003 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
Did it have a Type R stickers? I might be interested.

JLittell 11-11-2003 05:39 PM

Did Earl mention that he has a **** load of tires in the back seat of his Corolla for weight distribution?:eek:

lee 11-11-2003 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by mikecg

Did it have a Type R stickers? I might be interested.

I don't think so, but it did have seats that matched the custom paint job (front shot).

Subafreak 11-12-2003 06:55 PM

At least that one was a real convertable, I had a freind that cut the roof off of a 5door Metro. So no, you could not open the doors.

As for beaters, Older Legacys can be found very cheap and there AWD. I paid $200 for mine and spent another $200 for a clutch and then spent $450:eek: for a used 5speed. So it wasn't a $200 car anymore but it's still great beater and right now it's looking pretty beat. (see deer vs. Legacy):mad:

LarryIII 11-12-2003 07:10 PM

My everyday car is SVXY.

shelfy 11-12-2003 11:09 PM

we have a 1993 geo prizm with over 190,000 miles! it looks like hell, but it runs alsmost as well as the day i bought it 11 years ago.

squiggy 11-16-2003 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by shelfy
we have a 1993 geo prizm with over 190,000 miles! it looks like hell, but it runs alsmost as well as the day i bought it 11 years ago.
you mean it runs like crap??:D :D

it does 0-60 in 13 minutes going downhill??

just kidding..not hatin'

I drive a 1987 GM-Chevy --diesel engined-- step van-- as commissioned by the US post office..it has the aerodynamics of a brick..does 0-60 only if it is falling off a cliff..

goin postal..
Squiggy