The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CNC machined parts for SVXes coming (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53073)

lhopp77 02-24-2010 08:16 AM

Re: CNC machined parts for SVXes coming

Everyone should remember that this is a CNC MILLING machine and not a CNC lathe. It has a much more limited capability when it comes to full 3 dimensional parts.

Lee

Cam 02-24-2010 08:36 AM

I don't know if it was specified, but how many axis(es?) does your machine mill on? It seems like most everything mentioned is quite reasonable. (I have never seen the fuel door on an audi tt, though)

icingdeath88 02-24-2010 10:07 AM

(axes is plural)

I think the fuel door might be a challenge, due to the curve of the SVX one. Wouldn't he need another machine to curve it?

Also, I really don't think that an aluminum fuel door would look good on the svx. I'm sure lots of people would buy them anyway though.

Also, if we're talking about curved shapes now, then an aluminum grill would be my next suggestion. Again I wouldn't buy one, but I'm sure it would sell.

Cam 02-24-2010 10:14 AM

The grill could be tricky due to size. Good call on axes, haha. Total brainfart on my part.

As for the curved surfaces on the fuel door, it would be a multi step pocess. Get the rough curvature put into the door by faceting the aluminum on the mill (somewhat like a diamond), then you would have to due some sanding/polishing to take all the edges away and make it a fair curve. (same basic way I carved the neck on my handmade guitar)

SilverSpear 02-24-2010 10:29 AM

Without a proper mechanism like that of the Audi's, I think it will look ricey.

Stevebsy 03-04-2010 08:38 PM

Ok, here's concept #1 battery bar:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_IDKL1NuncW4/S5.../svx-1tall.jpg

The bar is 1" wide and 1/4" thick. The SVX would be cut 1/8" deep.

I am going to make a few and try some anodizing in color. I'm thinking red or black, and clear would be the options.

What do you potential customers think?

Green1995SVX 03-04-2010 09:17 PM

I think black would be cool.

icingdeath88 03-04-2010 09:30 PM

I think red or black would be sweet. Keep in mind before you go offering a bunch of colors that you have to offer matching colors of whatever else you make later on (ie oil caps, etc).

Gamesy 03-04-2010 10:03 PM

I'd prefer a blue one,
Is that UGS NX software

lhopp77 03-04-2010 10:03 PM

Again--think you can forget oil caps. Cut threads with a milling machine? Pretty difficult.

Lee

92 SVX 03-04-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 637140)
Again--think you can forget oil caps. Cut threads with a milling machine? Pretty difficult.

Lee

I think he was talking about the ebay blanks with the SVX added.

BoxerFanatic 03-04-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevebsy (Post 637120)
Ok, here's concept #1 battery bar:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_IDKL1NuncW4/S5.../svx-1tall.jpg

The bar is 1" wide and 1/4" thick. The SVX would be cut 1/8" deep.

I am going to make a few and try some anodizing in color. I'm thinking red or black, and clear would be the options.

What do you potential customers think?

That looks good.

The only thing I might add would be to radius the corners on the ends, to avoid sharp corners, chafing anything, or scraping hands when working under the hood... there is plenty to chew up your hands under the hood anyway. :D

Hocrest 03-05-2010 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic (Post 637153)
That looks good.

The only thing I might add would be to radius the corners on the ends, to avoid sharp corners, chafing anything, or scraping hands when working under the hood... there is plenty to chew up your hands under the hood anyway. :D

Or, to mirror the "designed by Gigarro"(sp), do a slight round on the left side and a "D" shape to the right side...

BoxerFanatic 03-05-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 637167)
Or, to mirror the "designed by Gigarro"(sp), do a slight round on the left side and a "D" shape to the right side...

Interesting.... That could be cool. Guigiaro, BTW... the logo is a widened graphic of an I and a D for ItalDesign, Guigiaro's design company.

Speaking of which... how small can this thing go? Maybe some modest CNC carved ItalDesign badges for the exterior of the car... although that would probably be a copyright/trademark infringement, though, unfortunately.

SilverSpear 03-05-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevebsy (Post 637120)

WOW! Nice work Steve!