The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Koni struts (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57595)

blue thunder 06-16-2011 12:21 PM

Koni struts

I have an SVX with koni struts all around. I had a shop put them in about three years ago. My question is after the necessary modification to get these in can I go back to oem struts if I choose to without more modifying or having to get additional parts. I think I have one bad strut in the front passenger side. The car bounces more on that corner. The other three are solid. Are these Koni inserts yellow? Thanks for any info on this.

Mike:)

Earthworm 06-16-2011 12:28 PM

Re: Koni struts

You can revert but you must find some used struts to swap in. The conversion requires irreversible modification to the stock struts.

These yellow Koni's are rebuildable.

michael 06-16-2011 06:36 PM

and still under warranty, maybe. please confirm lifetime warranty somebody.

svxfiles 06-16-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael (Post 679259)
and still under warranty, maybe. please confirm lifetime warranty somebody.

IF you are the original owner and have proof of it, then yes, Koni should rebuild themk for you.
R&R would be on you.

RojoRocket 06-17-2011 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 679280)
IF you are the original owner and have proof of it, then yes, Koni should rebuild them for you.
R&R would be on you.

I've been through the warranty process with Koni. First, contact them and describe the failure, and be prepared to supply photos, and your original receipt. The new strut will cost you, if you want a replacement up front, with credit back to you following their determination of warranty-able failure of the old piece you ship to them. They covered mine. ;)

Glenn

blue thunder 06-27-2011 12:08 AM

Thanks for all the replies on this. I had these Koni's installed three to four years ago. I did the bounce test on all four corners of the car and only the front right passenger side showed a multiple rebound affect. I climbed under the front of the car after driving up on ramps that I have and I cannot see if I even have these yellow Koni's in the car. I know they are inserts put into stock housings. How can I tell if they even installed them. I didn't watch the mechanics put them in. These housings would of had to be modified(cut) to make it work. I do have the adjustment knob for the front strut adjustment which I have used. When I first had these put in I noticed a slight amount of oil on the front upper strut mount plastic cover. I have heard if any oil leaks out the strut is shot. Can you tell if the struts are bad without having to remove them? My suspension in general feels like crap. I just had the rear upper strut mounts replaced. When I hit a small dropoff at slow speeds the car bottoms out. I think that is the front right strut causing this but not sure. I need my suspension checked out but don't know if local mechanics can analyse this car correctly. I don't trust Midas or Amoco. Any advice on this appreciated. Thanks.

RojoRocket 06-27-2011 07:10 AM

With the adjustment hardware you describe there's no doubt that you have the Koni's. The oil leak at the strut top is also exactly what was determined coverable under warranty in my case. Call and talk to Stoney, iirc, and he'll take care of you.

Glenn